Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turn pc on  (Read 16952 times)

zotee98

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Turn pc on
« on: July 03, 2007, 11:17:25 AM »

does anyone know if there is a way that you can make a macro turn on the pc? i would like to press a button on a remote and the computer come on so i could access my music. not sure if there is any third party software is out there? any ideas please offer up!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Turn pc on
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 11:29:03 AM »

does anyone know if there is a way that you can make a macro turn on the pc?

You could use a 3-pin appliance module to power up your PC and have it's BIOS set to boot-up on power return.

specter333

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 03:58:44 AM »

does anyone know if there is a way that you can make a macro turn on the pc?

You could use a 3-pin appliance module to power up your PC and have it's BIOS set to boot-up on power return.

That is what I do and it works well.  No macro is needed.  However there is always the possibility of loosing power to your PC and loosing data if the module gets an off signal from somewhere else.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 08:36:41 AM »

you turn you pc off?  we have five here that only get shut off to reboot. (yes, we run windows xp so it's like once a week.)  what would worry me about such a set-up as putting an appliance module on the computer and telling it to boot up on power restore wouldn't be the "ON" but the "OFF". also that pesky sensor current running through it at all times wouldn't be too good (I don't think).  you could always attach a relay to the power button and attach your favorite x10 device to that (I'm thinking um 506 set to momentary) and set your computer to power down when the button is pressed.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 09:35:45 AM »

you turn you pc off?  we have five here that only get shut off to reboot. (yes, we run windows xp so it's like once a week.).............

I run a HA PC 24/7..... I need it. Depending on patches..... I reboot the computer about once a month. Automating the reboot does sound interesting.

........................ also that pesky sensor current running through it at all times wouldn't be too good (I don't think).  you could always attach a relay to the power button and attach your favorite x10 device to that (I'm thinking um 506 set to momentary) and set your computer to power down when the button is pressed.

I don't think current sensor should be a problem here. I am not an expert on this but I really don't think the power draw would exceed the normal draw of the power-pack. But I do like the idea of tapping the ON/OFF relay!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 09:37:30 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 06:56:53 PM »

[/
I run a HA PC 24/7..... I need it. Depending on patches..... I reboot the computer about once a month. Automating the reboot does sound interesting.
 couldnt you do this by a command line?  would Settting a  comand line batch file for the reboot and having  a macro call it once a month do the trick?

X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 07:01:18 PM »

[/
 couldnt you do this by a command line?  would Settting a  comand line batch file for the reboot and having  a macro call it once a month do the trick?

You could even set command lines to restore any programs after the reboot as well...I believe....although this sounds way to too simple and easy to implement..there must be a hitch somewhere.
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 09:58:31 PM »

You could even set command lines to restore any programs after the reboot as well...I believe....although this sounds way to too simple and easy to implement..there must be a hitch somewhere.

I run BVC and WeatherAloud.... and they are already in my start-up folder (yeah.. all I had to do was but the Icons in the start-up folder) so they start-up when the PC does.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 10:06:04 PM »

I run BVC and WeatherAloud.... and they are already in my start-up folder (yeah.. all I had to do was but the Icons in the start-up folder) so they start-up when the PC does.

Yeah I thought it would be that simple. but then..I thought that is too simple!!!.. Setting a macro for a reboot though..is that as simple as I think it is?

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 10:06:59 PM »

Yeah I thought it would be that simple. but then..I thought that is too simple!!!.. Setting a macro for a reboot though..is that as simple as I think it is?

I have to try and remember to put my responses out of the quote areas

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 07:50:26 PM »

I have to try and remember to put my responses out of the quote areas
You can go back and edit your posts unless of coarse your only looking at in creasing your post count! ;)

Do not take the tag line
"Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge    ;)"
 seriously! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 10:58:19 PM »

Anyone with this question in the future ought to look at what Power-On options might be available in the PC's bios.   My PC for example has a "Power-On by (modem) Ring" and has serial ports.  It would not be difficult to rig a UM506 module in momentary mode together with a battery and DB-9 serial plug to emulate a ring signal.

The advantage to this approach is that the PC would not be turned Off by a stray X10 signal as it would if the UM506 were wired across the On/Off button, plus there is no messing around with the innards of the PC and possible voiding of a warranty.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.