Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: what do I need to accomplish this?  (Read 11453 times)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: what do I need to accomplish this?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 10:55:08 PM »

From your description of the breakers, your closet and 2nd switch location are on opposite phases.  Without a X10 coupler wired across the phases a X10 switch might work (in the second box).  To be honest, since you're only interested in this one application, it's probably not worth the risk.  You don't want to install a X10 switch and then have to troubleshoot and buy additional hardware to make this one application work.

I don't think you can make a definite statement about the phases without a wiring diagram of the breaker box.  Most boxes alternate phases down the column, at least for a certain number of rows, so that double breakers can be used for 240V appliances.  I can see no specific reason for having side-by-side breakers on different phases.  And even if they are on different phases, it's usually always possible to swap a breaker with the one below or above it.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 06:42:54 AM »

rootsman take a look at X10's In-Wall Transmitters. This would mount in the double work box in the bedroom and then use a XPFM or WS13 in the closet. Just set both units to the same House and Unit code.

As far as having a phase issue, this is something you would have to address if you have a problem. Same apples with noise issues on the line. Theres no way of knowing if these would be issues until you try the setup. Just be aware that you could have to purchase a few more things if it is.

The upside to using X10 for your solution is that you can expand your system as the need pops up, and find answers to problems right here ;D.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Boiler

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 10:20:43 AM »

I don't think you can make a definite statement about the phases without a wiring diagram of the breaker box.  Most boxes alternate phases down the column, at least for a certain number of rows, so that double breakers can be used for 240V appliances.  I can see no specific reason for having side-by-side breakers on different phases.  And even if they are on different phases, it's usually always possible to swap a breaker with the one below or above it.

Charles - you're absolutely correct about the phasing of the breaker box.  They are not laid out with one phase on the left/one on the right (that would make for a really strange looking 220V breaker).  I was obviously suffering from a major brain fart when I wrote that.

rootsman - hope you're still with us.  I definitely gave you some bad information on the breaker box layout.  I've edited my previous post and added a diagram.  Have a look.  If you can determine that both your closet and new switch locations are on the same phase, X10 becomes far more palatable.

waterstom

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 02:28:34 AM »

Having done something sortof similar, here's my .02 -

first are the lights in the closet incandescent or flourescent?  I read it as incand. so here's my idea -

re-wire the existing switch to a ws467  x10 wall switch.  (it won't matter anymore how inconvienent it is) Put a motion sensor IN the closet coded to that switch. You want it to work 24x7 not just dusk/dawn, to account for varying light levels in the room outside the closet.  Plug in a TM751 (which I suppose you have, you're here on X10 and I assume you already have a little bit of x10 hardware?)
Poof! simple, cheap, done in less than 30 minutes/dollars  if you do your shopping right.

You open the door, the light comes on.  You close the door, the light goes off in 1 minute (default setting for any x10 motion sensor)
HTH
Tom

rootsman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 03:15:52 AM »

Hi all,

I'm still here, just had to go to work. Thanks for all the info. 

I've had a look at the breaker panel diagram you put up but I'm not sure if I really understand how to determine which phase is which.  My 2 breakers are at the bottom of panel opposite each other.  I can email a pic but don't have a convenient way to post an image here.

It sounds to me like the x10 might work after all.  I may be able to move one of the breakers if necessary or just buy the phase coupler (?) hardware.

Can I use the XPFM in combination with the XPS3?  I need Ivory (not Almond as I had previously stated) and the XPT1 only comes in white.  I suppose I could use a color change kit someone mentioned since it's only 1 switch.

Tom, my lights are fluorescent but thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks,
Steve

Boiler

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 10:13:48 AM »

Hi all,

Can I use the XPFM in combination with the XPS3?  I need Ivory (not Almond as I had previously stated) and the XPT1 only comes in white.  I suppose I could use a color change kit someone mentioned since it's only 1 switch.

Let's back up a bit here.

For the closet (controlling the fluorescent) you'll need a X10 relay receiver:
  • A XPS3 relay switch (which you would use to replace the existing switch in the closet)
  • Or a XPFM in line module (which you would wire in line between your existing switch and the Fluorescent).  You'll need to leave your old switch in the ON position 24/7 in this configuration.

For your "new" switch location, you need a X10 transmitter (power line - not RF).  Here you can use the XPT transmitter with a XP1 (one button ON/OFF) Keypad.  The X10Pro site indicates that these are available in Ivory (maybe no one stocks them?). 

XPT Data Sheet
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xpt.pdf
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.