Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you know when it is armed?  (Read 6008 times)

erina

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How do you know when it is armed?
« on: July 06, 2007, 01:35:16 PM »

I just bought a x10 security system.  I leave the main console in the house and leave through the garage. Sometimes I am not sure if I have armed the system from the key-chain as I can't hear the bell. Is there anything I can add that will indicate to me when the unit has picked up my signal and armed and disarmed?

myron

Re: How do you know when it is armed?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 04:33:01 PM »

This question has been around for years.  The answer is NO.  There are modifications that can be done to the system to add external LED lights for you to place outside where you can see them.  These modifications will void your warranty and can only be done by skilled eletronics type people.  I have been waiting for a easy to add, inexpensive to buy, add-on solution myself.  So far, no luck.

tgordo49

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:09:02 AM »

I don't get it. One of my favorite features is the fact that it flashes the lights on for about one second and then off again when it arms properly. If you have the code set to flash all your outside lights when it alarms, like I do to attract attention around the neighborhood, then there's no missing when it arms. Sadly, the disarming is not signaled by, say, two such flashes; but you'll know for sure when you enter if you've properly disarmed it, eh?  ;)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 09:22:23 AM »

I don't get it. One of my favorite features is the fact that it flashes the lights on for about one second and then off again when it arms properly.

You are the third person I seen here that mentioned this feature. My PS561 does not do this. I know that one of the others had purchased theirs after I did, so this could possibly be another one of those unannounced/undocumented features within a different firmware revision.

I double checked this last night, again, and none of my CM15A Activity Monitors  picked up a PLC signal from the PS561 during ARMing.

myron

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 11:54:09 AM »

To: TGORDO49,

My voice dialer console is a model PS561 purchased in 2004.  It does not have an option to flash the lights when armed.  Boy, how I wished it did!  I have searched for a electrician to make modifications to my system to set up a remote light outside my home with no luck.  I have searched for the components mentioned i a post by PUCK which described this modification and also had no luck.  One of the components has been discontinued.  I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!  You may have a newer system which X-10 may have upgraded to flash the lights due to complaints by customers like myself.  They are very slack in admitting when they're wrong and offering solutions to obvious short-comings in their products.  I wish  I had your system.  It would give me a greater peace-of-mind when I leave my home not knowing whether I'm truly armed or not.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 12:54:53 PM »

Sometimes I am not sure if I have armed the system from the key-chain as I can't hear the bell.

Can't you arm-with-delay, while near the unit?   ???

Just wondering....
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 01:17:22 PM »

...  One of the components has been discontinued. 

More than likely it is the opto-coupler that is now hard to locate. There are equivalents that will work and I'll update the links on the parts list.

tgordo49

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 09:14:18 PM »

Wow, sorry guys; didn't mean to start a rush of DS7000-envy! Might be worth upgrading when they have a system sale, if you need more sensors anyway.
Shouldn't be too hard to hard-wire the piezos to another location where you can hear it outside. Hmm, that would help hide the location of the base unit too...!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.