Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Status report on the XTB-IIR  (Read 63754 times)

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Status report on the XTB-IIR
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 08:52:11 PM »

Actually, my distribution panel is in my laundry room about 10 feet away from the dryer outlet and on the opposite side / end of the house from my computer! ;) ;D

A dryer plug on the XTB-IIR should work fine there.  And you could certainly rely on the repeater mode if you didn't want to move your automation controller down to the laundry room too.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Boiler

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 08:26:36 PM »

...The XTB-IIR is not just a repeater.  It is also the powerline interface for an automation controller.  It accepts a direct digital input from a high-end controller such as an Ocelot or Stargate.  In most cases it may be easier to drop that link down to the distribution panel than run it to the laundry room.  The CM15A can also be plugged into The XTB-IIR, and it will directly boost its output.

This is one of the major advantages that I see in the XTB-IIR.  It will interface to your controller and directly drive both phases of your powerline.  NO more coupling and phase lags.

I have my CM15a and a Leviton HCM02 active coupler both located at the Load panel (which I consider to be optimal).  I regularly see "reflected" commands from the HCM02 that make the round robin route from the opposite phase back to the CM15a.  Most of the time the CM15a pauses for these returned signals.  One in awhile, depending on what sneak paths are active (A/C, Oven, Welder), a firestorm ensues.  The worst case appears to be "DIM/BRIGHT" commands.  Anyone who has read my posts already knows I'm not a fan. 

The following is a clip from my activity monitor during a dim sequence.  The "received" dim 47% is a reflection from the Leviton repeater back to the CM15a.  If the CM15a pauses, all is well.  If it doesn't, firestorm.

811    09/18/2007 10:15:07 pm    Macro    C3 (1st Deck)
812    09/18/2007 10:15:07 pm    Macro    C Bright 100(1st Deck)
813    09/18/2007 10:15:07 pm    Macro    C Dim 50(1st Deck)
814    09/18/2007 10:15:13 pm    Receive C Dim 47(1st Deck)

I believe the XTB-IIR will prevent this since it is driving both phases and acting as the interface to the controller. 

Jeff - comments?  Have I mis-stated something?

Boiler

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 10:10:57 AM »

The following is a clip from my activity monitor during a dim sequence. The "received" dim 47% is a reflection from the Leviton repeater back to the CM15a. If the CM15a pauses, all is well. If it doesn't, firestorm.

811    09/18/2007 10:15:07 pm    Macro    C3 (1st Deck)
812    09/18/2007 10:15:07 pm    Macro    C Bright 100(1st Deck)
813    09/18/2007 10:15:07 pm    Macro    C Dim 50(1st Deck)
814    09/18/2007 10:15:13 pm    Receive C Dim 47(1st Deck)

I believe the XTB-IIR will prevent this since it is driving both phases and acting as the interface to the controller.

Yes, the XTB-IIR would be the source, so there would be no "reflected" commands unless there is another repeater out there.

Jeff

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 12:35:48 AM »

I just wanted to let you folks know that there has been an update to the XTB-IIR firmware.

One user reported his unit was not responding to commands sent from a maxicontroller plugged into the X10 Input receptacle.  While first thought to be related to his rather unique 3-phase installation, the cause was more subtle.  Through some long-distance troubleshooting, including several photos and a very helpful video clip, I was able to simulate his results with one of my maxicontrollers.  That unit produced a 120KHz burst that started later than expected, and it was lower in frequency than that produced by the maxicontroller normally used to test the units.  The fact that the XTB-IIR worked correctly when the maxicontroller oscillator was tuned higher in frequency confirmed the diagnosis.

The fix was to simply extend the sample window on the X10 Input port before switching over to monitoring signals on the powerline.  If anyone sees a similar issue with their XTB-IIR, please contact me for a new PIC with firmware version 1.01.  Units shipped after 10-25-07 will include this update.

As these units are put into service with a wide variety of equipment, there may be other issues had not been seen on the prototypes.  Like with its older brother, there can be additional firmware updates in the future.  If the update fixes a problem, it will be supplied at no charge.  The update requires unplugging the PIC microcontroller (with power removed), and carefully replacing it with the new PIC.

Jeff

John026

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • "Somebody grab the sawsall"
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 04:31:59 PM »

Just a quick thought. Now that the XTB-IIR is installed in my house (WOW great product thanks again) can I, or should I disconnect the powerside of the PZZ01 becuase it will be coupling twice so close to the XTB? Also, Will it (the pzz01) work as a "passive filter" without being powerd up.  Just want to fine tune the system where possible.

John

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 05:12:13 PM »

I believe the main purpose of the PZZ01 is to block X10 signals from entering and leaving the home over the utility feed.  I have the Leviton flavor of that unit installed here, and I don't believe there is any problem having both coupling networks.  It should remain connected per the instructions to block X10 signals.

Thank you for the feedback on the XTB-IIR.

Jeff

John026

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • "Somebody grab the sawsall"
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 05:38:36 PM »

Thanks for your input Jeff

John
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.