Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PR511 & XPS3  (Read 4319 times)

Red Ryder

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
PR511 & XPS3
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:33:42 AM »

I've just installed a PR511 Motion Sensor w floodlights to illuminate my backyard.  I've also just installed a non X10 floodlight on the other side of my house that I've been planning to work as a slave off the 511.

For this slave light I've replaced the original switch with a XPS3 Wall Switch.

In the PR511 I've set the house code to H and the start code to 2. All the sensor switches  (+1,+2, etc.) are set to 'In", as are the
Dusk switches.

(I'm not sure what this means & that may be my problem.)

The XPS 3 switch is set to H & 3.

My problem is that sometimes the XPS3 switch light will come on when the motion detector turns on the PR511 lights, and then it won't at all.

I'm new to X10 technology, and some of the basics are still Greek to me.

Is the XPS3 switch my problem? Did I make a mistake in using it to act as a slave to the motion unit?

Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Boiler

Re: PR511 & XPS3
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 04:24:36 PM »

Welcome to the forum,

Your PR511 and XPS3 combination should work well together.  I have three of the PR511 and I like them as security lamps.

In regard to your settings on the PR511
  • When motion is detected, you are currently sending out X10 ON commands to addresses H3, H4, H5, and H6.  Your putting a lot of X10 information on your house wiring that's not needed. If you only want your XPS3 (address H3) to turn on, move the switches at the +2, +3 and +4 locations to the "out" position.
  • With all of the Dusk switches in the "IN" position you are sending X10 ON commands to addresses H2 - H6 as dusk and off commands at dawn.  Since you want to sense motion, I'm assuming you don't want any of these on.  Move them all into the "OUT" position

The PR511 may need a power cycle after changing these settings.

PR511 Manual:
ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/pr511-om.pdf

The fact that you are sometimes activating your XPS3 indicates that your hardware is functioning but the signal is not always being recognized.  You mentioned that X10 looks like Greek to you.  Fortunately this forum offers multiple courses in Greek.

Possible problems include:
  • Powerline phase coupling problems - you could try turning on a 220V device to couple the phases as a test
  • Signal absorption (power supplies, A/V equipment, PCs) - you can try turning off different breakers to isolate problem devices
  • Noise generators (Compact Fluorescent bulbs, certain switching power supplies) - again, isolate by turning off circuits.

- or combinations of the above

Crash course in X10 (Greek) troubleshooting:

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=11766.0

The problems you are seeing are particular to your house.  Give us an idea of the size of your home, type of electrical devices installed, whether your XPS3 and PR511 are on the same electrical phase. 

Take a pass through the tutorial, try some things, and get back with us.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 05:08:10 PM »

...I have three of the PR511 and I like them as security lamps.

Boiler,

SEARCH the recent Archives for Keyword(s): PR511 UserID: TakeTheActive

You might find my "novel idea" interesting.

Simply, an UNLIMITED (for all practical purposes) number of PR511s can simultaneously control each other (not just the ones at +1, +2, +3, +4). 8)

BTW, what do you have against "Descriptive" (Clean-looking) LINKS? :o ::)

Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Boiler

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 08:39:47 PM »

BTW, what do you have against "Descriptive" (Clean-looking) LINKS? :o ::)

What, no "atta boy" for the nice bullet lists and highlights?  I'll have you know I actually inserted a table yesterday (shamelessly plagiarized).  Now you want reformatted, descriptive links?

That's a lot for an old codger to absorb. 

...SEARCH the recent Archives for Keyword(s): PR511 UserID: TakeTheActive

I agree your 1-1/2 way idea is novel.  In fact I said the same thing a month ago when I looked at it.

Previous link from 6/27/07: Lights Turning on and off by themselves

Short term memory problems?  Sucks getting old don't it.  That's why they call us codgers.

Sorry, couldn't resist poking some fun.  I have a feeling I'm be paying for this indiscretion in the not to distant future.  Feel free to remove as this obviously doesn't "add" to the thread.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 10:10:42 PM »

What, no "atta boy" for the nice bullet lists and highlights?  I'll have you know I actually inserted a table yesterday (shamelessly plagiarized).  Now you want reformatted, descriptive links?

That's a lot for an old codger to absorb. 

Ok. I'll agree that for being both a Newbie *AND* an "Old Geezer", you're progressing VERY WELL! :D

:D Atta Boy! Way to go Boiler!! :D

You're aware of the LONG established 1000:1 relationship between "Atta Boys" and "Aw $H!T$", right? :P

...SEARCH the recent Archives for Keyword(s): PR511 UserID: TakeTheActive

I agree your 1-1/2 way idea is novel.  In fact I said the same thing a month ago when I looked at it.

...Short term memory problems?  Sucks getting old don't it.  That's why they call us codgers.

*WRONG* "novel idea" buddy! (I know! There are just *SO* many, it's easy to get confused.) LOOK AGAIN -> PR511 & WS467, leaving Blue Wire (internal PR511 relay) unconnected, Leviton Floods functionality at half the cost, yada, yada, yada... 8)

...Sorry, couldn't resist poking some fun.  I have a feeling I'm be paying for this indiscretion in the not to distant future.  Feel free to remove as this obviously doesn't "add" to the thread.

A bit of levity never hurts. :)

So, would you happen to be indulging in the "Cold Beverage" this evening? :-X
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.