Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lighted Dimmer remote  (Read 6248 times)

ft757

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Lighted Dimmer remote
« on: July 15, 2007, 10:06:59 AM »

Are there any dimmers that will work as a 3-way switch, dimmer, X10 compatible with the HR12A remote control, and also be lighted like the Leviton Decora style lighted switch 5611-2WS??  In other words, does Leviton make a X10 compatible dimmer with a 3-way function, has a light in the switch and also the companion switch lighted?  Other brands are ok as long as they look like the X10 designer or the Leviton Decora style.

Thanks,
Dave

Boiler

Re: Lighted Dimmer remote
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 10:30:52 AM »

Dave,
I did a quick Google on your 5611-2WS and found that it is Lighted in the off position.  Does the entire rocker light when the switch is off?

This is probably going to be really hard to match up with, especially with a slave (companion) switch.  I have used the following:

• Leviton - HC06 dimmer (small led at the bottom on when the switch is off - no lamp on the slave)
  • Smarthome - Switchlinc V2 (led bar left side of rocker - lower led illuminated in the off position, upper illuminated when full on - use with a second switchlinc V2 or Icon for three way applications)
  • Smarhome - Icon (1 led left of rocker on when the switch is off - use a second Icon switch as a slave)

I don't know of any X10 compatible switches where the rocker itself is backlit.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 10:35:41 AM »

In other words, does Leviton make a X10 compatible dimmer with a 3-way function, has a light in the switch and also the companion switch lighted?

I am not aware of any lighted Leviton companion switch, but they do have X10 compatible switches that have the LED bar along the side that indicates the pre-set dim level (for example: HCM06, HXM10).  Also, both the older "red line" and the newer "green line" switches have a LED at the bottom of the Decora paddle that is illuminated when the switch is off.  None of then have the lighted paddle like the standard Decora switch you referenced.

None of the Leviton switches directly accept a RF command, but require a RF interface such as the RR501 or TM751.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

ft757

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 12:33:44 PM »

Boiler,

The 5611-2WS has a light behind the top of the rocker switch which lights when the switch is in the off position.  Only a square in the top part of the rocker switch lights, on some of the pictures of the 5611, you can see it.  They are quite nice for guest bathrooms, or switches that are not obvious, they show up better.

Jeff,

Yes, I have seen the switches with the LED bar on the side and the LED at the bottom, and I was willing to accept the Leviton switches would have to be used with a RF interface like the RR501 or TM751.  I guess I am hoping against hope that I could make all my switches appear the same throughout the house and have the lighted ones (Decora style) with a remote and dimmer.  I can get the lighted Leviton ones as a 3-way and 4-way although they are pretty rare to find (5613 and 5614).  I did have a couple of places where I wanted the lighted switch, 3-way and also X10 capable of dimming and switching, like my stair way which is right outside my bedroom.

I wonder if I could sneak a LED into the X10 decorator dimmer WS12A and wire it up to the switch?  It may be worth a try for the price, but I don't know how that would work with the 3-way operation, it may not.  I'll have to think about that one.

Thanks,
Dave

Boiler

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 12:45:11 PM »

Dave,
Have you considered in-line modules (XPDF or XPDM).  You could maintain your existing switch "look" and still have X10 control of the fixture.

ft757

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 03:57:12 PM »

Yes, I had considered the in-line solution, but I didn't like that option.  I am thinking more and more I may go with the HCM06 or 10 units for the few places I want lighted or at least semi-lighted switches.  They are so expensive and I am a real cheapo, I'll just have to bite the bullet.

Dave

Boiler

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 05:17:15 PM »

Yes, I had considered the in-line solution, but I didn't like that option.  I am thinking more and more I may go with the HCM06 or 10 units for the few places I want lighted or at least semi-lighted switches.  They are so expensive and I am a real cheapo, I'll just have to bite the bullet.

Speaking as a fellow Cheapo, the HCM06 are nice - AGC, resume dim (they will remember a dim level) and "true rocker action".  They are more expensive, but I've got quite a few.  I hope you're not disappointed by the LED.  It is by no means a night light, but in the dark it will show you where the switch is.

The only rub here is how the "resume dim" feature works with X10 dimming.  I'm not sure if you are intending to use a automation controller (CM15a or other) with DIM commands.  Be aware that, since the HCM06 remembers previous DIM levels, the first on call for 50% level will be correct.  If the switch is turned off and a 50% DIM level is called fro again, you will actually get a 25% level out of the switch (50% X 50%).  I typically set the dim level manually at the switch and then treat them as ON/OFF devices with the X10 Communication.  This works great in hallways where I have many can lights that I don't want @100%.

Enjoy,
The Boiler

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 07:19:35 PM »

The only rub here is how the "resume dim" feature works with X10 dimming.

Leviton switches such as the HCM06 use extended commands to set the dim level.  If the controller can send a Leviton extended dim command, the switch will always ramp to that level.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Boiler

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 07:31:39 PM »

Leviton switches such as the HCM06 use extended commands to set the dim level.  If the controller can send a Leviton extended dim command, the switch will always ramp to that level.

Jeff is exactly correct.  The Leviton dimmers will always respond correctly to extended code dim commands.

What I should have said is "leviton switches will remember their previous dim state...when using standard CM15a bright/dim commands".

Note also that when using a RF dimmer (palmpad, UR74a, etc) the switches will remember the last level and return to it when turned back on.

I'm by no means knocking these switches.  Just trying to let you know that they are different from the standard X10 product line.

ft757

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 10:04:03 PM »

Thanks for all the info fellas.  Yes, I realize that the HCM06 switches are not exactly like the X10 dimmers.  I got the Leviton catalog and read about them as best as I can understand with my feeble brain.  Actually, though, they sound just like what I might need.  I was looking for a switch that I could use and find in the dark.  Sometimes when one of us wakes up early and does not want to bother the other, we grope around in the hall finding the stair light and at least it sounds like you can find this switch in the dark, a switch at the head of the stairs is always hard to find in the night.  The preset dim function sounds good too, because a lot of the time we use the stair light dimmed as background/fill light, and it has the option to go full light with 2 taps, plus the X10 function if I can train the other half to figure it out.  I am using the HR12A as a RF switch and it sounds like that will work fine for me, it's just too bad that the PalmPad is not lighted.

I just wonder though, does the MS00R-1 "companion" switch have a LED light on it too and can I use my existing 3-way wiring for these switches?

Dave

Boiler

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 10:32:39 PM »

Thanks for all the info fellas.  Yes, I realize that the HCM06 switches are not exactly like the X10 dimmers.  I got the Leviton catalog and read about them as best as I can understand with my feeble brain.
Yeah, right.  Those weren't "newbie" questions you were asking and they weren't driven by a "feeble" brain.

I just wonder though, does the MS00R-1 "companion" switch have a LED light on it too and can I use my existing 3-way wiring for these switches?
My MS00R companions do not have LED's (I've never seen an option here - doesn't mean it doesn't exist).  You can use your existing wiring but the Leviton 3-way isn't a "standard 3 way configuration".  Here's a link:

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Common/Lighting_Controls/X10_Receivers/Wall_Switch_Receivers/Leviton_DHC_Wall_Switch_Receivers/UniversalDimmer.pdf

If you have a common available in your switch box, I'd highly advise using it.  The HCM06 will work well without the common connection but you gain a lot of noise immunity with it connected (I'm using both configurations).

The Smarthome Icon switches have the same features as the Leviton HCM06 + Insteon communication.  When wired in a 3 way configuration two of the Icon switches are required.  This makes the 3 way installation more expensive, but both switches have LED's.  These switches are also X-10 transmitters (when activated they will send an X10 On at their Housecode/address) so you could configure a "virtual" 3 way where the switches aren't physically on the same line.

I'm not trying to steer you here, just pointing out the options.  I have both switches in my house and I like both.

The Boiler

ft757

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 12:10:57 PM »

Boiler,

Thanks for all the information; yes, I had finally figured out that the MS00R appears to actually be a remote transmitter to the HCM06, and it looks like all the AC switching is done at the HCM06.  I think the WS12A and the WS14A work in a similar fashion, and you can just put more 4-5 or whatever amount of extra switches on the circuit.  Yes, I have a neutral and ground wire in the boxes, so that should help.  I just really wish the MS00R had the light, it would be good for the guests to find easier, but then if they are at the bottom of the stairs, they should have already turned the downstairs hall light on from the guest room.   I'm just being anal.

I still may play around with putting a light in the WS12A, but then one would not work in the WS14A either.  If I succeed in getting the light in, I'll post it later.

This has been a great help,
Thanks guys,
Dave

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.