Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: false motion detection help  (Read 16295 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: false motion detection help
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 09:31:21 PM »

Say Bill whata' think about the new pattern recognition ones, think they consume way less power then a battery powered PRI & Microwave.

Tom j

I haven't actually had a chance to play with those.   ???

Actually I haven't seen one that's battery powered I have three for my new hardwired security system so far so good just thought the concept would really be nice in one of those Egale Eyes. You think?

Tom j

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 11:53:56 PM »

Actually I haven't seen one that's battery powered I have three for my new hardwired security system so far so good just thought the concept would really be nice in one of those Egale Eyes. You think?

Tom j

Anything to improve false alarm immunity would be nice to see.  X10 really needs (IMHO) to re-vamp their entire security line to take advantage of more modern technologies.

It would also be nice to see more types of sensors added to their line.  Like wireless smoke detectors, glass-break detectors, carbon-monoxide detectors, natural gas detectors, environmental sensors for things like water leakage, temperature and humidity... the list goes on.

The major problem with any wireless security system though is our poor battery technology.  Wireless sensors have to do a juggling act between sensing and transmitting alarm activations in "real time" and not draining the limited power in their batteries too fast.  This usually means shutting down the detector or not transmitting to the alarm system for periods of time (or sometimes both) in order to conserve battery life.

What is worse is that X10 made the choice to power their devices from small common (mainly alcaline) batteries (presumably just to make the detector smaller) which requires them to detect and transmit less often than they could do if they made a larger unit that took say "D cell" batteries.  They could also re-vamp their detectors to use lithium batteries and improve not only battery life and response time, but also allow the detectors to work in much wider temperature ranges.

Sorry, you got me started?   :D
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 01:24:11 AM »

Tom j

Anything to improve false alarm immunity would be nice to see.  X10 really needs (IMHO) to re-vamp their entire security line to take advantage of more modern technologies.

It would also be nice to see more types of sensors added to their line.  Like wireless smoke detectors, glass-break detectors, carbon-monoxide detectors, natural gas detectors, environmental sensors for things like water leakage, temperature and humidity... the list goes on.

The major problem with any wireless security system though is our poor battery technology.  Wireless sensors have to do a juggling act between sensing and transmitting alarm activations in "real time" and not draining the limited power in their batteries too fast.  This usually means shutting down the detector or not transmitting to the alarm system for periods of time (or sometimes both) in order to conserve battery life.

What is worse is that X10 made the choice to power their devices from small common (mainly alcaline) batteries (presumably just to make the detector smaller) which requires them to detect and transmit less often than they could do if they made a larger unit that took say "D cell" batteries.  They could also re-vamp their detectors to use lithium batteries and improve not only battery life and response time, but also allow the detectors to work in much wider temperature ranges.

Partial Quotes: Anything to improve false alarm immunity would be nice to see.  X10 really needs (IMHO) to re-vamp their entire security line to take advantage of more modern technologies

Absolutely not!! I couldn't agree with you more Amen brother  ;D I been writing asking begging x10 to improve some of this stuff but I guess it just falls on deaf ears, they would have more sales then they could fill but they won't listen that's my 4 cents.  O-Well.

Tom j
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:06:20 AM by tom j »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.