Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How long will flag hold setting  (Read 10944 times)

myron18

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
How long will flag hold setting
« on: July 23, 2007, 09:14:50 AM »

If I set a flag on when I leave for vacation, will that flag setting remain for an indefinite time period, until I return?

I assume the flag is simply a 1 or 0 setting in a marker. I wondered whether the AHP software requires that the flag be reset each day (which will require a loop), or whether if there is power outage. it automatically resets to 0 (a default position)  Has anyone have any knowledge of this?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: How long will flag hold setting
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 10:00:20 AM »

If I set a flag on when I leave for vacation, will that flag setting remain for an indefinite time period, until I return?

It will stay as you have set it until you or a macro/timer change it. I use a flag for security conditions when I am away from home and it has worked reliably.

Just try and avoid using flags 1 or 16... these sometimes get altered by AHP internally (or at least use too).

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:10:37 AM »

Just to note that clearing the CM15A memory will set all the flags.  That, at least to me, is counterintuitive since clearing would make one, incorrectly, assume the flags would all be cleared (reset) too.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 11:49:57 AM »

Just to note that clearing the CM15A memory will set all the flags.  That, at least to me, is counterintuitive since clearing would make one, incorrectly, assume the flags would all be cleared (reset) too.

Very interesting!  I always clear memory before downloading updates to my AHP program and have never had any flags set as a result.  Is this another difference between production versions of the CM15A?
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 12:17:08 PM »

Very interesting!  I always clear memory before downloading updates to my AHP program and have never had any flags set as a result.  Is this another difference between production versions of the CM15A?

Another X10 same-model name / different-characteristic product?

My flags never change state after a clear or download. I use a flag for dusk / dawn indication (faster processing and does not require 2 condition... but that's another topic) and after clearing the interface and reprogramming, I don't have to reset this flag.. it stays as it was.

My take on this is: The flags are part of the internal RAM of the controller chip, and the memory that gets cleared and used for our programs is in the external EEPROM.

Apparently this may not necessarily (or always) be the case, and / or the embedded memory clear subroutine has changed between production dates.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 01:01:25 PM »

Setting flags upon clearing memory is certainly repeatable on my CM15A.

This was one of the worse program debugging encounters I have had, with AHP/CM15A.  It look me a long, long time to isolate my problem to all my flags being set.  I, too, always clear memory before downloading.

I now have a macro which goes thru, and resets all my flags.  This way, I have them all in known, intentional, states.  I run that macro each time I clear/download a new program.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 02:04:34 PM »

...Just try and avoid using flags 1 or 16... these sometimes get altered by AHP internally (or at least use too).
I haven't had a problem using flag 1. I do reserve it for test so I might just of not of experienced a problem yet.
I have read here of flags 15 and 16 being used by AHP. I believe AHP uses them somehow with dusk and dawn settings.

It would be interesting to document the effect of clearing CM15A memory from the software vs. actually unplugging and removing the batteries for different CM15A revisions.

When you do a status report, does AHP read the CM15A for data? [This appears to be yes as no report was generated while the CM15A was unplugged. There was no error message, however.]

To start things off...
My CM15A sticker says 05B06. It, by the way, was one of the replacements that has the diagnostic stuff. (Never was quite sure what the change was.)

Clearing the memory from the software did not clear or set any flags but unplugging and removing the batteries did leave all flags cleared. So for me I'll be using my flag reset macro following any extended power outages.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 02:35:56 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Boiler

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 10:30:39 PM »

My flags never change state after a clear or download. I use a flag for dusk / dawn indication (faster processing and does not require 2 condition... but that's another topic) and after clearing the interface and reprogramming, I don't have to reset this flag.. it stays as it was.

Are there differences between Firmware Versions of the CM15a - Absolutely.

CM15a Flag Setting VS Firmware Revision

Date Code/Firmware           |_Power Up |_Clear Memory |_Download AHX|_Notes                                                           
04I38/P10792EFlags ClearedNo ChangeFlag 15 and 16 Set???Clears do not affect Flag setting
06L50/P10792MFlags ClearedNo ChangeNo ChangeClears do not affect Flag setting

I tried this several times using the same .AHX file.  My old unit consistently set Flags 15 and 16 after a download (I don't use these).  Memory clear had not effect on the flag setting.  The battery out clear does consistently clear the flags.

I had thought that my '04 unit was similar to Walt's beta unit - apparently not in this regard.   
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 05:13:25 PM by Boiler »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.