Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Compatible Power Supplies  (Read 33404 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
X10 Compatible Power Supplies
« on: July 30, 2007, 10:31:38 PM »

Say anyone know of any wired cameras that have a power supply that's compatible with the x10 power supplies. If the power supplies were interchangeable I could just switch power supplies and still be able use my Commander 2 to switch between cameras and turn on my VCR. Thanks

Tom j
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 10:38:31 PM by tom j »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: X10 Compatible Power Supplies
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 04:13:04 PM »

Why not just use an appliance module and plug the other brand cams power supply into it? ???
I do this for a couple of other cams and it works! ;) :D ;D
If you really wish to find one that can use a X10 wall wart then look at the voltage output on the power supply and make sure it is a match! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 10:05:37 PM »

If the power supplies were interchangeable I could just switch power supplies and still be able use my Commander 2 to switch between cameras and turn on my VCR. Thanks

Yeah... it's hard to beat the way X10 has intergrated their systems. Like Tuicemen I have also added to my X10 camera system (to take advantage of IR) and it was worth a little hassle. But my system remains basically X10 so I can use X10 integration.

You could always leave your non-X10 cameras on 24/7. Then run them through a quad device to have a single video input to a VCR. Then use any number of motion detectors to trigger a VCR Commander.

Or you can use a macro in AHP that will turn OFF cameras plugged into appliance modules when other cameras are triggered ON.

Or you could use something like a powerflash module triggered by your old X10 camera power supplys, to turn ON appliance modules that control cameras.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 08:45:20 PM »

Thanks guys well you gave me somthing to think about say check out this camera and tell me what ya think I've bought a lot of stuff from Harbor Freight in the past and the quality not bad yeah it's still made in China but their quality seems much better in most and this camera is on sale for only 24 bucks, with LED's and 400 lines of res !!!

Tom j

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/47000-47999/47546.pdf

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:13:40 PM »

Harbor freight seems to be having server problems.... the link isn't working for me.

I have a store near by... recently bought a welder there. I also have one of there B&W IR camera. It has a nice handy rain/sun shield and it was easy to mount, came with 60 feet of cable. The picture isn't bad, but on a sunny day the grass looks white. The IR LED's are human invisible (not red) but they aren't very bright.

Geeks.com is a nice place to buy IR to try out.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:15:19 PM by Dave_x10_L »

tom j

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 09:55:37 PM »

Harbor freight seems to be having server problems.... the link isn't working for me.

I have a store near by... recently bought a welder there. I also have one of there B&W IR camera. It has a nice handy rain/sun shield and it was easy to mount, came with 60 feet of cable. The picture isn't bad, but on a sunny day the grass looks white. The IR LED's are human invisible (not red) but they aren't very bright.

Geeks.com is a nice place to buy IR to try out.

Hi Dave! I just tried the link from my own post seems to be working fine here's another but try the fist one to cuz it's the actual manual.

Tom j

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=47546]

edited by Dave_X10_L
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:09:22 PM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 10:02:45 PM »

Yep thats the cam!

tom j

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 12:12:49 AM »

Yep thats the cam!

Do you like it did you see the manual??

Tom j

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 06:56:38 PM »

It's a nice little cam.... and it has it uses (I once taped a ratcoon with it). But the X10 B&W hardwired camera is..... MUCH better. X10 has a better picture, easier to add to a HA system, longer standard wire, even better vision at low light and MUCH better in bright light.

I am NOT saying X10 always has the best camera for the job. There is NO one best camera. I have a mix of cameras in my system... because I ATTEMPTED to select the best camera for each area I wanted to monitor. I didn't always make the best choices. What is it your trying to see? And what are the conditions you will be working with?

There is such a range of camera types and camera abilities, only a true professional could select the best setup without some trial and error. I started out.... wanting to see my driveway from my basement office (after a frustrating wait for a service guy). The place I selected to place the camera required a buried cable. My thought was... as long as I am burying ONE cable.... how much harder would two.... or three be. Then I thought... gee I should mount another to monitor the original cameras... and one in the garage would be nice to see if the door is up or down (...and so on).

I still have plans for MORE cameras.... as there seems to be no limit as to how many places I can find to mount them. But right now, I am working on perimeter detection and voice announcement.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 06:59:18 PM by Dave_x10_L »

tom j

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 01:28:48 AM »

It's a nice little cam.... and it has it uses (I once taped a ratcoon with it). But the X10 B&W hardwired camera is..... MUCH better. X10 has a better picture, easier to add to a HA system, longer standard wire, even better vision at low light and MUCH better in bright light.

I am NOT saying X10 always has the best camera for the job. There is NO one best camera. I have a mix of cameras in my system... because I ATTEMPTED to select the best camera for each area I wanted to monitor. I didn't always make the best choices. What is it your trying to see? And what are the conditions you will be working with?

There is such a range of camera types and camera abilities, only a true professional could select the best setup without some trial and error. I started out.... wanting to see my driveway from my basement office (after a frustrating wait for a service guy). The place I selected to place the camera required a buried cable. My thought was... as long as I am burying ONE cable.... how much harder would two.... or three be. Then I thought... gee I should mount another to monitor the original cameras... and one in the garage would be nice to see if the door is up or down (...and so on).

I still have plans for MORE cameras.... as there seems to be no limit as to how many places I can find to mount them. But right now, I am working on perimeter detection and voice announcement.

Oh OK so you actually have one of these Harbor Freight cams? I just want something that has enough res that from say 20 feet a face would be recognizable for prosecution. Got another one I want your option on, will post tomorrow.

Tom j

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 06:59:11 PM »

I just want something that has enough res that from say 20 feet a face would be recognizable for prosecution. Got another one I want your option on, will post tomorrow.

If your going to try to prosecute from a recording.... I would look at 1/4" (or better) CCD color cameras only (see CCD vs CMOS). I would also TRY to use really good lighting (opposed to IR) if possible. And the better the recording device..... the better.

To get a good idea of how difficult a good face shot at twenty feet is..... watch some TV. Don't let yourself get involved in the show... just watch camera angles and distance. 10 or 12 feet is generally the distance limit, from actor to camera (I was on TV once and the camera women was practically in my face). If you stop in a local convenience store, you will see the camera they use likely isn't more than 8 or 10 feet away (unless it's a fake camera).

Don't forget..... catching criminals is dangerous work. It might be better all around to make some cameras visible and ad PLENTY of outside lighting, to deter the crime. An ounce of prevention...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 07:08:23 PM by Dave_x10_L »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.