Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPS3 (PRO Decora Wall Switch) not responding to remote signal  (Read 6217 times)

reenesh

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPS3 (PRO Decora Wall Switch) not responding to remote signal
« on: August 01, 2007, 11:10:03 AM »

I have setup the XPS3 module, but it does not respond to the "OFF" signal from the remote, anyone else had this issue or know how I can resolve it? 

The online manual is here: http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xps3.pdf
So we do add an additional wire going from NEUTRAL to LOAD? I have done this, and still no luck.

The site mentions somethign about Phase Coupler...is this nessesary? Waiting for recommendations, thank you!~

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: XPS3 (PRO Decora Wall Switch) not responding to remote signal
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 11:35:04 AM »

The switch needs the neutral, the load already has a neutral from the panel.
The symptom you describe sounds like electrical noise being generated by the load. What is the switch controlling?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

reenesh

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 08:52:39 AM »

Its controlling ceiling LED light bulbs ..maybe I should try regular bulbs? I will give it a try, and get back.

RM

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 04:02:14 PM »

As a guess, I would say that you have line and neutral swapped.  I can almost say black and white are swapped, but that could be elsewhere (ie, not at the switch box).

With the load off, line will float toward ground, giving enough voltage across the switch to have the switch work.  With the load on, the switch will see nearly no voltage between load and neutral, for itself, and thus can't work.   In other words, when off, you get 120v between load and neutral. When off, you get 0v between load and neutral (all using the .pdf diagram's names for the switch's connections).  That's all because neutral isn't really neutral.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

reenesh

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 03:18:58 PM »

Thanks walt2 for your explanation... I have just tried few combination and still no luck. Walt2, can you please tell me what you mean by load on and off? In the manual it said not to use load for just on and off. If you can clarify the wiring into each point, that would be a great help.  Thanks.

scherzo

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 03:00:33 AM »

Does the switch respond to ON?

If it won't turn off then the device that you are turning on (your LED lamp) is creating too much noise and is blocking the x10 signal for off. You will have to install an inline filter close to the fixture.

I think this will work.

http://www.smarthome.com/4840.html

I had the same problem but fortunately for me it was on a plug in device. What I did was plugged in an appliance module in the wall. Then an extension chord with a filer on the end and finally the noisy device. This allows me to turn on and off the device. Remove the filter.. and I can turn on the device but not turn it off.

I hope this helps.

-scherzo

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.