Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Light switches with a split outlet  (Read 27295 times)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
Re: Light switches with a split outlet
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 02:23:40 PM »

Yeah, I know it doesn't meet code, but if/when I go to sell the house, I'm taking my X10 stuff with me (unless the new people REALLY want it).  My wife knows to never plug anything into that outlet besides the lamp.  Plus there's plenty of other outlets in that room.

Just also be aware that if the worse happens, and the insurance company feels that any electrical code violation had even an indirect contribution, your homeowner's insurance can/will be voided out.

That, more than anything else, keeps all my home wiring DIY jobs, to always be "to code".
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2007, 09:12:37 PM »

Good Evening,

Simply replace the switch with a dimmer switch. Some places this is allowed in others it is not.  It also could be considered an improper repair as you normally do not have to get a permit to change a switch. 

Triacs make either good fuses or are on all the time when they fail.  Make the assumption that if somebody plugs something in that they shouldn’t you get to replace the dimmer.  You might want to buy a few spares.  If the dimmer fails shorted the current limit is the unit plugged into the outlet, no more then that can flow assuming it is wired properly.  I have bunches wired that way.  Also note everybody stated the bottom plug is always on the top is controlled (a pseudo standard maybe).  That indicates that a two conductor wire can go from the plug to the switch to effect the control (this is not always true).

Have Fun
Gil Shultz

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2007, 09:27:49 PM »

Yeah, I know it doesn't meet code.................

I have been reviewing this thread... as there are some mis-statements... or errors in grammar... which was brought to my attention. However, I think the "I know it doesn't meet code" says it all.

Code(s) vary greatly country-to-country, state-to-state, county-to-county, and even local regulators ... where they apply. There are many safe solutions to most every X10 need! I don't personally know of any code that would consider putting a dimmer on a split receptacle as SAFE.

Putting a dimmer or a split receptacle is NOT recommended.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:32:20 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2007, 09:41:52 PM »

For instance what happens if someone plugs a vacuum cleaner into the switch controlled outlet?  If the switch is in "full on" mode (i.e. not dimmed) it still might be blown by the high current required by the vacuum cleaner.  Almost any other appliance or AC (wall wart) adapter, etc. would not like it if the wall switch was "dimming".   :o

There are several outlets in our house where this is a problem.  My wife knows to be careful but other family members who only visit on occasion aren't.  What I did was to get a package of molded plastic dummy "kid protection" plugs and put them into the half of the outlets controlled by the X10 switches.  So far this has successfully kept vacuum cleaners, irons, etc. from being plugged into them and burning out the X10 switch.

Here's an update to this post. Based on what I learned from this thread, I have changed the switch that controls these outlets from the dimming variety to an XPS3 20 amp appliance/fluorescent wall switch. The "kid protection" plugs are still there but if anything else, like an iron or vacuum cleaner, is plugged in the switch can easily handle it. Now, hopefully, the NEC and my insurance company will be happier.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 09:37:28 AM »

.......... I have changed the switch that controls these outlets from the dimming variety to an XPS3 20 amp appliance/fluorescent wall switch. ..................if anything else, like an iron or vacuum cleaner, is plugged in the switch can easily handle it. Now

A solid and safe solution to an apparently, comman problem. Thank-you Oldtimer
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.