Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X10 UR73A - will not operate my Directv DVR  (Read 42489 times)

raze

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 UR73A - will not operate my Directv DVR
« on: August 04, 2007, 11:31:29 PM »

I have tried everything today after receiving my X10 package.   Tried the code numbers and I tried the searching for the correct code.

Any suggestions?  If not I will have to return my entire package.  The remote was free but what good is it, if it wont work?

Thanks

rthornhill

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: X10 UR73A - will not operate my Directv DVR
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 03:07:49 PM »

I have the same problem with my Directv D11-100 receiver.  X-10 tech service  has said they're aware of the problem and will send me a fix in an email, but nothing heard so far.  If no joy by tomorrow,X10 will be eating this system.   Seems to me they'd better put the fix on this forum

ASAP. UPDATE: A second call to X10 reveals that the UR73 will NOT WORK with DIRECTV. The tech on the phone informed me that I needed a UR74 remote, and offered to exchange my 73 model for five bucks, but it would take 10 days to do so, and I'd have to eat the shipping.

X10's website selling the video sender/receiver package with 73a remote states "Now watch Direct TV in any room of the house" intimating that the whole package will work on DirecTV. Sure, the video plays fine, but the remote won't work.  They should state FACE UP that you need the UR74 for the DirecTV to function. This is not the case. The website is misleading.

As it is, I will obtain a UR74 for $7.00 on ebay, $3.00 shipping and spend less time and money than waiting on X10.

Roger Thornhill
Advertising Executive

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 03:54:14 PM by rthornhill »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 07:07:01 PM »

Thank You Roger! That was a very informative post.

The UR73 will NOT WORK with DIRECTV.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 07:08:59 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:43:52 PM »

The UR73 will NOT WORK with DIRECTV.

Yes, thank you Roger for the update!  That is indeed very helpful information.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 08:03:02 PM »

X10's website selling the video sender/receiver package with 73a remote states "Now watch Direct TV in any room of the house" intimating that the whole package will work on DirecTV. Sure, the video plays fine, but the remote won't work.  They should state FACE UP that you need the UR74 for the DirecTV to function. This is not the case. The website is misleading.

I also looked at the website.  In the online 73a codes list of supported devices, in the satellite section, I don't see DirecTV specifically.   I think that is pretty straight forward, isn't it?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Boiler

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 09:18:46 PM »

I also looked at the website.  In the online 73a codes list of supported devices, in the satellite section, I don't see DirecTV specifically.   I think that is pretty straight forward, isn't it?

The ur74a code list doesn't show anything for Direct tv either.  Maybe they want you to use the learning function?

From what I've seen, the D11-100 is made by RCA (rthornhill unit).  You might want to try the specific RCA satellite codes.

raze,

I'm not sure what your model is.  Have a look at the following thread for dash numbers.

http://www.dbstalk.com/archive/index.php/t-55134.html

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 07:27:49 AM »

The ur74a code list doesn't show anything for Direct tv either.  Maybe they want you to use the learning function?

What list did you check?   The "old" ur74a, which uses 4 batteries, has 3 digit codes.  It is the list for that version, which I find online.  The "new" ur74a, which uses only 2 batteries, has 4 digit codes, and with that, many more supported devices.

Plus, of course, the ur74a can learn.  So, really, you can teach it just about any set of codes you need.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 07:30:29 AM »

OK... stupid thought...

Since X10 snuck out a new version of the ur74a, I wonder if there is also a new version of the ur73a, which might use 4 digit codes too.  ???

Boiler

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 08:55:47 PM »

OK... stupid thought...

Since X10 snuck out a new version of the ur74a, I wonder if there is also a new version of the ur73a, which might use 4 digit codes too.  ???

Walt,
I haven't seen a code list for the new 4 digit UR74a.  Do you have a reference that you could post?

As you said, there have been a number of "new" module configurations appearing on the market.  I wouldn't think that X10 would revamp their remotes unless they absolutely had to.  Maybe they do indeed "have to" to maintain their source of supply. 

How long ago did the "revised" UR74a come out?  Could you give me a date code (sorry this is a recurring theme with me).

BTW... didn't see any "stupid thoughts" in that post.  You may be on to something here.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 07:23:46 PM »

The latest online list of codes for the UR74A are still the old 3-digit ones.  The only reference I can post to the list of 4-digit codes, is to the box of empty X10 boxes in my basement.   ;D

The date code on mine is 07C12.

Again,
  • The new version uses 4-digit codes.  The old one 3-digits.
  • The new version uses only 2 batteries.  The old one 4 batteries.
  • The new version has its battery compartment on the upper half of the back.  The old one had its on the lower half of the back.

BTW, the new versions seems easier to program, and I have yet to encounter the "memory full" indication.  Though, this might be due to my greater experience in programming, than possibly due to an intentional hardware/firmware change by X10.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 07:25:43 PM by Walt2 »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 07:31:40 PM »

BTW, the new list actually contains DirecTV in the SAT/DTV/WebTV section, and gives 21 different 4-digit codes for it.

Boiler

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 08:01:11 PM »

Thanks for the info Walt.

BTW, the new versions seems easier to program, and I have yet to encounter the "memory full" indication.  Though, this might be due to my greater experience in programming, than possibly due to an intentional hardware/firmware change by X10.

I assume your referring to the learning function.  I didn't know there was a "memory full" indication.  You must do a lot of learnin.

How does the range (RF/IR) on this unit compare with the 4 battery versions?

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 06:58:12 AM »

I assume your referring to the learning function.  I didn't know there was a "memory full" indication.  You must do a lot of learnin.

How does the range (RF/IR) on this unit compare with the 4 battery versions?

One can get "memory full" after learning just a couple of buttons, if one does it wrong.  I think because one fills up the memory with garbage.  The indication for "memory full" is the red LED starts flashing as you try to learn a new button.

I haven't noticed any range differences on either IR or RF. 

ericb

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 04:51:22 PM »

Dry Fly

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 12:08:58 PM »

I'm a newbie at this X-10 stuff.  I simply wanted to operate two TVs from guest bedrooms using the X-10/and supplied remote to get a signal from my DirecTV HD box.  I was NOT able to get the supplied UR73A remote to do anything but control the TV.  By chance I found that the DirecTV RS32 remote worked just fine and is capable of learning my (remote) TV's code and two other devices, along with the box itself.  Problem solved.  The X-10 UR73A "Platinum Remote" has been disposed of and replaced by (2) RS32 remotes obtained through Ebay- $8 each, incuding shipping.

Hope this helps someone else.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.