Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Work Cubical Proximity Sensor & Software Triggers  (Read 10713 times)

x10Newb

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Work Cubical Proximity Sensor & Software Triggers
« on: August 05, 2007, 12:29:19 PM »

Don't you hate when you've finished your morning "space out" http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/o/office-space-script-transcript.html and you have not yet begun your "fifteen minutes of real, actual work" and you're using your instant messenger (or other procrastination-ware), and someone walks by your work cubical, and catches you off guard, because you were too slow to hide your deed?

What components would you recommend to use for a proximity sensor to sense the walker-by; trigger the OS to perform perhaps a single Alt-Tab (Linux, MS Windows) or a Command-Tab (Mac OSX) [the term "debounce" comes to mind but perhaps this is contained within the valid trigger]; and have a manual reset to standby for a future repeat of the previous steps?

I found this post http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=13126.0 so I will point out that I am NOT an X10 user.  And I am currently considering possible solutions.

I was considering this http://www.x10.com/promotions/sc546a_sp_tm_ps42_0102.html

However, the interface to the OS is also needed.  I have another vendor in mind for the OS interface, but perhaps x10 also has such solutions and would not appreciate my posting their URL?

Mmmm, yeah... so if you could go ahead and get to that as soon as possible, that would be terrific.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Work Cubical Proximity Sensor & Software Triggers
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 01:26:08 PM »

I was considering this http://www.x10.com/promotions/sc546a_sp_tm_ps42_0102.html

However, the interface to the OS is also needed.  I have another vendor in mind for the OS interface, but perhaps x10 also has such solutions and would not appreciate my posting their URL?

I heard of a guy years ago that had a magnetic switch on his office door wired to a radio. So when someone entered his office, the radio would come on and wake him up. Those where the days!

Now...... employers simply monitor all computer related activity using software that generates weekly reports and daily alerts.

The promotional package could also be used to turn on a radio..... with no computer asst.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 01:29:47 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

x10Newb

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 06:41:18 PM »

Now...... employers simply monitor all computer related activity using software that generates weekly reports and daily alerts.
I'm sure other shops have that concern, but the admin and I are reasonably tight; and we have both discussed our need for such a solution.  I catch him; he catches me; we just want no one else to catch us.  Unlike Peter, we can't just say, "I'm going to have to ask you to go away and come back some other time; I have a meeting with the Bobs".
The promotional package could also be used to turn on a radio..... with no computer asst.
So I was in the ballpark for some components.  Cool.

That post I referenced "Lack of Motion Detection and Alarm" also mentioned heyu.org and an X-10 CM11A interface.  But I also saw a post with someone very upset with CM11 and CM15.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:48:39 PM »

...... post I referenced "Lack of Motion Detection and Alarm" also mentioned heyu.org and an X-10 CM11A interface.  But I also saw a post with someone very upset with CM11 and CM15.

Yes..... I've also seen such posts about the 11A & 15A... as well as about every other product X10 makes. However.... I am a BIG FAN of X10 myself. And I haven't had any real problems. I am crazy about my CM15A and the automation it adds to my system.

However..... all that said... I would still recommend you start small (the fore-mentioned promotional package) and add-on as you learn about X10 and HA (home automation) products.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 12:07:57 PM »

you have not yet begun your "fifteen minutes of real, actual work" and you're using your instant messenger  and someone walks by your work cubical, and catches you off guard, because you were too slow to hide your deed?

What components would you recommend to use for a proximity sensor to sense the walker-by; trigger the OS to perform perhaps a single Alt-Tab (Linux, MS Windows) or a Command-Tab (Mac OSX) [the term "debounce" comes to mind but perhaps this is contained within the valid trigger]; and have a manual reset to standby for a future repeat of the previous steps?

Mmmm, yeah... so if you could go ahead and get to that as soon as possible, that would be terrific.

X10 protocol is fairly slow.  Motion detection and a script trigger of the OS could take several seconds. In order to keep your deceit secret, is there some place you can hide the motion detectors that would give you a four to five second lead time to trigger a Alt - Tab OS switch?
Mmmm, yeah... how soon can you have that report ready? ;D
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

x10Newb

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 01:22:22 AM »

Dave_x10_L,
Well that promotion expired, but there was another one today with 2 sensors for $10 more.  I do need to cover 2 (and possibly 3) regions on my side and 2 regions on the admin's side.  So the 11A, 15A _is_ an interface to the PC (as in personal computer running OSX, Linux, or Windows)?

dave w,
I'm thinking 2 seconds would be the max lead time on a typical stride through my perimeter's buffer to prevent false positives.  Thanks for mentioning that.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 07:04:24 AM »

I have a small USB camera up on a filing cabinet pointed out toward the hallway, and keep a small window open with the camera image on my PC.    This way, I have "eyes" behind my head and can see someone approaching me from behind.  :D
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 06:10:17 PM »

Dave_x10_L,
Well that promotion expired, but there was another one today with 2 sensors for $10 more.  I do need to cover 2 (and possibly 3) regions on my side and 2 regions on the admin's side.  So the 11A, 15A _is_ an interface to the PC (as in personal computer running OSX, Linux, or Windows)?

Yes.... the CM11A and the CM15A are computer interfaces that can send (11A)... or send and receive (15A) X10 signals. The 15A is a windows device (as is the 11A) however I do believe there is Linux software available for the CM11A.

I have a small USB camera up on a filing cabinet pointed out toward the hallway, and keep a small window open with the camera image on my PC.    This way, I have "eyes" behind my head and can see someone approaching me from behind.  :D

Walt2 is on to something here!!!!

There are a TON of tiny cameras. And plenty of (free and shareware) motion detection camera software (it detects the amount of pixel change), as well as viewing windows. Wireless cameras can be VERY relieable and cover a VERY large area. Cameras also remove the "delay-time factor".
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 06:11:51 PM by Dave_x10_L »

tgordo49

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 11:32:59 AM »

The details have all been worked out for you at
 www.nibblelabs.com/minimizemonkey
 Have fun!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.