Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MS10A & RFI Shielding  (Read 12979 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
MS10A & RFI Shielding
« on: August 06, 2007, 09:51:30 PM »

Hi guys  just wondering if there's anyway to add RFI shielding to the MS10a I don't know about you but I've experienced an unacceptable number of false alarms in the 1 movement mode and the 2 movement mode at least it's been my experience decreases it's range and lacks sensitivity sometimes it takes numerous steps to get it's attention. I have a friend with a masters in computer science that's an electronics buff and he looked at an old defective one I had and said as far as he can tell it doesn't have any shielding. RFI is supposedly the major source of false alarms in motion detectors and from what I read the shielding can dramatically reduces if not eliminate it. I found some links that go into this maybe I locate them again and post them if anyone is interested. Thanks & Stay Safe

Tom j.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: MS10A & RFI Shielding
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 06:50:22 AM »

X10s motion sensors use a change in detected temperature [IR I believe] in a set amount of time.
They sense better across them them  a motion towards them. Some have added thing to the lenses to make them less sensitive to false triggers and I have seen a mod that changed a capacitor to lower the false triggers. If you did RF shield it you may render it useless, as the sending antenna is on the rear and if the thing is on a metal surface you can detune it or stop the RF from getting to the receiver.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 12:00:27 PM »

Don't know if I buy in to RF being the biggest source of false triggers from motion detectors. I think it would have to be a very strong signal at close range to the detector.

FWIW

This would be easy to test if you have a couple of the little FRS radios. They put out an ERP of less than 500mW. Sneak up behind your MS10 while keying and unkeying  your radio. How close do you have to get before the MS10 transmits a detect signal when you key your radio? My bet is; IF the MS10 falses it won't be until you are within inches of the unit. Since RF attenuates from the source at an exponential rate, even high power transmitters would have to be fairly close to the MS10 to false it. Any neighbors who are Hams?

As Brian H pointed out, RF shielding on an enclosed antenna wireless unit, pretty much defeats the point.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

tom j

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 02:41:40 PM »

Don't know if I buy in to RF being the biggest source of false triggers from motion detectors. I think it would have to be a very strong signal at close range to the detector.

FWIW

This would be easy to test if you have a couple of the little FRS radios. They put out an ERP of less than 500mW. Sneak up behind your MS10 while keying and unkeying  your radio. How close do you have to get before the MS10 transmits a detect signal when you key your radio? My bet is; IF the MS10 falses it won't be until you are within inches of the unit. Since RF attenuates from the source at an exponential rate, even high power transmitters would have to be fairly close to the MS10 to false it. Any neighbors who are Hams?

As Brian H pointed out, RF shielding on an enclosed antenna wireless unit, pretty much defeats the point.

Thanks guys well whata think the problem is  with MS10a with these false alarms, if you do a search you're find tons of complaints on this. I know my new DSC system that I'm putting together had wired motion detectors and they all have this shielding and I read an article on this but as I remember these were in fact "wired" devices, I'll have to go back and look. Do you guys have a Protector Plus system and if so have you gotten false alarms in the 1 movement mode? Thanks

Tom j

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 04:05:01 PM »

I replaceed my MS10A sensors with PMS01 sensors, only because I heard that they were less prone to false activation.  I also didn't need that many since they are the "Pro" version and cost more.  I will say, however that even one of them was set off by a large heat change  when set on "1".  No problems on "2" setting so far (several months).

tom j

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 01:03:13 AM »

I replaceed my MS10A sensors with PMS01 sensors, only because I heard that they were less prone to false activation.  I also didn't need that many since they are the "Pro" version and cost more.  I will say, however that even one of them was set off by a large heat change  when set on "1".  No problems on "2" setting so far (several months).

Yep that's basically what I'm using the Pro versions, they are much better!! after sending back the MS10a's a couple of times x10 just sent me a box of the PMS01's,  I've had one for 4 years without a false alarm! and they work better in the step 2 mode say how many movements/steps  does it usually take in the position 2 mode to activate yours. And say what was that heat change? best if you can to use position 2 if possible.

Tom j

JMac

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 07:52:23 AM »

The heat change was (I believe) a gust of wind through an adjacent window.  A slight turn and adjustment of the sensor, and selection of "position 2" corrected the problem.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 10:08:52 AM »

TomJ
I don't have MS10s, do have a number of  X10s "xxxxxxEYE" motion detectors. I have frequent falsing with inside units near HVAC ducts. Has to be a air movement issue.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JMac

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 10:19:02 AM »

I forgot to mention that position 2 requires at least two movements for the sensor to be activated, sometimes three.  Never just one, however, which I think is good to prevent false activations.

tom j

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 05:40:06 PM »

TomJ
I don't have MS10s, do have a number of  X10s "xxxxxxEYE" motion detectors. I have frequent falsing with inside units near HVAC ducts. Has to be a air movement issue.

Hi you have the Pro versions the PMS01's right?

Tom j

JMac

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 08:28:02 PM »

Yes I have the PMS01.......

tom j

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 06:38:27 PM »

X10s motion sensors use a change in detected temperature [IR I believe] in a set amount of time.
They sense better across them them  a motion towards them. Some have added thing to the lenses to make them less sensitive to false triggers and I have seen a mod that changed a capacitor to lower the false triggers. If you did RF shield it you may render it useless, as the sending antenna is on the rear and if the thing is on a metal surface you can detune it or stop the RF from getting to the receiver.

Say Brian anyway to bump up the sensitivity, just a as my wife would say a tad in the 2 movement mode. I just feel at least a few of mine need a little more sensitivity, I'm just interested in the 2 movement mode. Thanks!!!

Tom j

tom j

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 01:12:15 PM »

I forgot to mention that position 2 requires at least two movements for the sensor to be activated, sometimes three.  Never just one, however, which I think is good to prevent false activations.

Say JMac I assume you have a couple of the PMS01's have you ever noticed it requiring more then three movements to trigger the detector and do you ever get a zone that sticks using the motion detectors?

Tom j

JMac

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 02:14:45 PM »

Nope, it seems to be about consistent with two movements.  When you say "zone that sticks", do you mean that the motion sensor does not reset itself after a short time?  If that is what you mean then no I have not.  I have had door/window sensors that have to be recycled to indicate proper door/window position at times.

tom j

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 06:43:04 PM »

Nope, it seems to be about consistent with two movements.  When you say "zone that sticks", do you mean that the motion sensor does not reset itself after a short time?  If that is what you mean then no I have not.  I have had door/window sensors that have to be recycled to indicate proper door/window position at times.

Hi J, what I mean is that after you press the arm away button you hear the trouble alarm and red zone light is "steady on" indicating that zone is open, only way you can usually clear it is to press the reset button on the motion sensor or walk pass it again. I know others have mentioned this just wondering if you've ever experienced it.

Tom j
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.