Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: URGENT: Cameras stopped working  (Read 3032 times)

prt328

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
URGENT: Cameras stopped working
« on: August 09, 2007, 12:05:02 PM »

I set up 2 Vanguard cameras and am using AHP with the USB interfaces.  Everything was working great but has since stopped working.  The cameras are installed 1800 miles from here so I can't touch them but have full remote access to the PC they are connected to.  I have someone stopping by the remote house who will unplug and replug in the cameras in the hope that they may start working.  I have already reloaded the software and drivers and all appears well on that end.  Any other troubleshooting suggestions you can recommend while I have someone there (who is totally unfamiliar with PC's or X10) that I can guide him through by phone?

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: URGENT: Cameras stopped working
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 09:54:38 PM »

I set up 2 Vanguard cameras and am using AHP with the USB interfaces.  Everything was working great but has since stopped working.  The cameras are installed 1800 miles from here so I can't touch them but have full remote access to the PC they are connected to.  I have someone stopping by the remote house who will unplug and replug in the cameras in the hope that they may start working.  I have already reloaded the software and drivers and all appears well on that end.  Any other troubleshooting suggestions you can recommend while I have someone there (who is totally unfamiliar with PC's or X10) that I can guide him through by phone?

Hummm... hopefully someone will be able to jump in and help you but after spending that much money I would make x10 help you trouble shoot this, if you read the disclaimer on the forum it states it doesn't take the place of tech support, I would call them and make them earn their money!

Tom j

Dave Butler

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: URGENT: Cameras stopped working
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:24:51 PM »

I have two 4 camera systems...they are only 100 miles apart so I am more fortunate.  I also use Active Home Pro.  Are you using MyHouse Online (myhouse.x10.com) or another program like gotomypc to watch the cameras?  I often find that MyHouse Online will work everything BUT the video from the cameras, and it isn't always the MyHouse Online program at fault (for example through the internet I will be able to have video on one system but not the other -maybe it is the specific internet provider causing an issue).  The MyHouse Online program works about 2/3 of the time for me for the video, the rest of the time I need to log on to the remote computer through another program (actually I use Remote Administrator but have also been successfull with gotomypc.com) and they work fine.  Sometimes rebooting the computer remotely or turning of the modem and routers (I use an X-10 telephone responder and appliance modules to do that) fixes the problem.  My computer or routers get hung-up sometimes and I can't clear the problem except with a remote "external" restart.  I set the computer to automatically restart on power on after an outage.  I have never been able to get the MyHouse Online program to operate the presets on the cameras, and I figured out a workaround to do that within AHP.  The presets work fine with the other remote access programs. It comes to mind that if your cameras are on a different circuit phase than your AHP controller, you might have something that has started to produce interference online, and your signal might not be strong enough on the second phase to overcome the interference(even with a repeater). X10 has filters that will get rid of interference (and it might not even be from your own house) but you'll need some equipment to help you find and identify it.  I'm presently using an XTB-II amplifier (not an X10 product) that has solved LOTS of problems.  Finally, maybe your video receiver has lost power or failed.  Good Luck with X10 support (if you've tried it!)  The X10 products are capabilities are great, but you have to become a very good technician.  Another thought - I connected all of my X10 cameras (I have both Vanguard and conventional wireless with robotic mounts) through appliance controllers.  I have had cases (often) where when the programming gets confused (in the camera itself I think), and turning off the camera(s) individually and then turning on the power to the one I want to use has fixed the problem.  Good challenge when you are working something remotely, but I have found everything to be solvable with lots of patience.  I'm going on about 2 years with these systems, and use them with greater success and reliability every day.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.