Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [How-Do-I] Add a Fire Alarm to My Current X10 Setup?  (Read 7006 times)

spaghettifiend

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
[How-Do-I] Add a Fire Alarm to My Current X10 Setup?
« on: August 13, 2007, 01:55:16 PM »

I haven't seen a fire alarm available that works with X10.  Am I just unobservant, or do none exist?  It would give me a little peace of mind to be able to get an email at work if a fire alarm went off...

UPDATE: Also a CO detector would be nice into the bargain.

[TTA Edit: Merged 2 posts to the same thread, less than 2 minutes apart, into 1. NOTE: The "MODIFY" Button, top-right corner, allows you to edit your previous post(s).]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 04:45:14 PM by TakeTheActive »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: [How-Do-I] Add a Fire Alarm to My Current X10 Setup
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:53:41 PM »

I did a quick search. There is a simple mod here converting a First Alert Smoke Detector Model SA304 with internal light(available at Wal-Mart $15.00).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
Re: [How-Do-I] Add a Fire Alarm to My Current X10 Setup
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 02:59:48 PM »

I did this modification.  It involves soldering four wires to the relay, and two to the smoke alarm.  The setup would send a text message to my cell phone (via OnAlert and the internet) in case of a fire, as well as setting off the DS7000.  It could send an E-Mail also..........
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 03:01:22 PM by JMac »

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: [How-Do-I] Add a Fire Alarm to My Current X10 Setup?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 03:15:32 AM »

Of course it requires a person to modify an off the shelf item to meet the needs of home automation.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:58:19 AM »

Of course it requires a person to modify an off the shelf item to meet the needs of home automation.

A lot of home automation "projects" involve some modifying, most of those involve soldering. I learned to solder as a child, and I guess I take it for granted. But soldering is simple to learn, and the equipment is flat-out cheap to own. If someone can't find a friend/co-worker/family member to help them to get started, a google search for "how to solder" should do it.

It's worthwhile to learn to solder, and even kinda fun. It would also be my guess the tiny investment in time and money to learn will be re-cooped in some future repair.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 10:02:48 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

zach1234

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 01:05:17 AM »

I outsource my soldering to my neighbor, she is a granny, she dose it for me and I have to say she is great at it. She used to work for a company that makes telphones. I pay her of course.

Dave you inspired me to give it a try, I will have to film just in case its a Americas funnest video moment.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 10:50:04 AM »

If anyone is still interested in the original topic....

Most (if not all) 120v smoke/CO detectors have a 120v "output" which allows multiple detectors to sound if one of them is tripped. 

What I did, was to connect this up to a 120v relay, and have the relay trigger an X10 Burglar Alarm controller.  The intent is not to replace or inhibit the detector's own alarm, but to add features like to turn 'on' all the lights in the house to allow easier/quicker escape if such an emergency happens at night.  It also starts all the exterior light flashing, to allow the emergency responders (the "Fire Dept") to more quickly ID the house.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 12:46:05 PM »

I did this by basically connecting a powerflash to the output on the sounder and setting it to detect voltage.  should work with CO as well.
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=14772.0
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.