Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: When will X10 come up with code protected keypad for DS7000 ?  (Read 52129 times)

RCaddict

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • My Hobby Site
When will X10 come up with code protected keypad for DS7000 ?
« on: August 15, 2007, 02:36:33 PM »

I really like DS7000 But I can't imagine why they designed a unit that arm and disarm with a push of a single button While everybody in the industry has code entry to do this which make sense considering this is a security device! It is not the cost because you can implement this easy with software with Keypad that is already there. It is very important to implement proper security by having a code protected remote keypad next to exit door while main unit is hidden away.

So I guess it has to be a sales strategy and they will come up with real thing soon! What you guys think?
I am going to wait and see few more months. They have to do it by Christmas anyway because GE is fast catching up with DIY wireless security concept with their inexpensive Simon-3 console with voice feedback.  :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 03:43:09 PM by RCaddict »

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: When will X10 come up with code protected keypad for DS7000 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 04:12:31 PM »

So I guess it has to be a sales strategy and they will come up with real thing soon! What you guys think?

Your Chances of This Happening...

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 05:02:08 PM »

It is better to dream about a better security system than to believe you have one  ;D

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:15:59 PM »

I figure they what everyone that uses the system to have to BUY or have their own key fob, if they had a keypad well everyone in the family could use the same one at the entry point. That's what I believe their logic is, what they should have is a rolling code that changes every time you use it like my auto alarm. This unit has been out I'm guessing about 12 years I remember when I got my first one cell phones were analog had antennas that had to be extended and wouldn't really work that well in cars. That gives you an idea how long it's been around and in all that time there's been no I repeat no changes to the console sure they improved the door/window sensors notice I didn't say motion detectors the old SP554 was in my opinion actually better detector at least in the 2 step mode you couldn't get past it and I never got any false alarms, it did have a much shorter range and the batter life was poor but like I said the 2 step mode was excellent. So there you have it my 4 cents!

Tom j

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 05:06:17 PM »

I don't think X10 will ever produce a keypad for the DS7000, but they did work on a new system for Radio Shack a little while ago that included a code protected keypad. I would guess there's a possibility in the future that they'll make an X10-branded version of that one.

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 10:23:28 PM »

I figure they what everyone that uses the system to have to BUY or have their own key fob, if they had a keypad well everyone in the family could use the same one at the entry point. That's what I believe their logic is ....

Well Most of us leave through the garage door and there is no way to know for sure main console receive the key fob arming signal behind closed door. You may be leaving unarmed system most of the time. Hopefully thieves take that and leave other stuff ... ;D

This unit has been out I'm guessing about 12 years ......Tom j 

WOW! I didn't know that. Well I have to look elsewhere then. I don't mind playing with X10 stuff because they are cheep but home security is not a game! So If I am not buying DS7000 can anyone suggest affordable wireless system with phone dialler option. How about this SkyLink system. http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=1232
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:56:28 PM by RCaddict »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 07:24:57 AM »

I really like DS7000 But I can't imagine why they designed a unit that arm and disarm with a push of a single button While everybody in the industry has code entry to do this which make sense considering this is a security device!

If the thief makes it has far as the DS7000 console, he/she could simply unplug it, even if it had a keypad requiring a 1,000 number code, no?   ;D
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 05:06:18 PM »

OK, It seems I have to do it myself   ;)

Project: Electronic keypad for DS7000

Objective: Supply power to palmpad remote for 10 seconds after entering a user set code.

Operation: Electronic keypad will provide power to palmpad remote after successfully entering PIN code for few seconds. Red LED will light for this duration so user know when to press ARM with delay button or Disarm button on remote. This will activate overhead lamp fitted to X10 module set to DS7000 code as a visual indicator command has been received.

Let me know if you see any problems with this setup. thanks.

This KeyPad circuit will be modified for reverse operation and to give a preset delay.
http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Switching/keypad.htm

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 05:08:05 PM by RCaddict »

tom j

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 05:09:23 PM »

Quote RCaddict... Well Most of us leave through the garage door and there is no way to know for sure main console receive the key fob arming signal behind closed door. You may be leaving unarmed system most of the time. Hopefully thieves take that and leave other stuff ...

Point well taken but most alarm systems use a key pad I personally leave by way of the front door in my case the keypad for my wife and myself would be perfect our garage is not attached, and I believe most homes have non attached garages. I still believe that they want to sell more key fobs otherwise they could manufacture both.

Tom j

tom j

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 05:13:35 PM »

I was just thinking I bought my first DS7000 from the DAK catalog anyone familiar with this catalog it was the original gadget catalog, knows how long that's been.

Tom j

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 12:57:47 PM »

Guess what?

I Googled DAK Catalog and here's the site that came up: http://www.dak2000.com/

Apparently DAK Industries is still alive and well.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 03:01:21 PM »

I've said it before but here it goes again...

X10 is a great low cost system for home automation as long as you don't mind a little DIY input but if you want a real/professional alarm you'll need to go elsewhere.

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dbell

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 03:14:30 PM »

I've said it before but here it goes again...

X10 is a great low cost system for home automation as long as you don't mind a little DIY input but if you want a real/professional alarm you'll need to go elsewhere.

And DIY is what I expect to have to do. It would be nice to have had a code pad of some sort, but I'll work around it...

I am planning to use MisterHouse, which is certainly heavily on the DIY side, for software. One way of implementing a code pad with that would be to use a multi-(4 or 6) button RF control pad or fob. Write the MH Perl code to catch a sequence of key inputs, in the same way a pushbutton combination door lock works...

Dave

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 03:30:25 PM »

...One way of implementing a code pad with that would be to use a multi-(4 or 6) button RF control pad or fob. Write the MH Perl code to catch a sequence of key inputs, in the same way a pushbutton combination door lock works...
I enjoy the flexibility of being able to program multiple access codes for various family and friends with my alarm system without compromising the master code.

Not part of my alarm system but on a similar note, I have an outdoor code pad for my garage door that allows me to set a temporary code. The temporary code can be set to expire after a limited time period or number of uses.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dbell

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 03:49:21 PM »

...One way of implementing a code pad with that would be to use a multi-(4 or 6) button RF control pad or fob. Write the MH Perl code to catch a sequence of key inputs, in the same way a pushbutton combination door lock works...
I enjoy the flexibility of being able to program multiple access codes for various family and friends with my alarm system without compromising the master code.

Not part of my alarm system but on a similar note, I have an outdoor code pad for my garage door that allows me to set a temporary code. The temporary code can be set to expire after a limited time period or number of uses.
Great idea, on the temporary codes! The multiple family codes is another high-end feature.

Frankly, the main reason for the security system is to be alerted if one of my princesses decides to flee the castle. Having the ability to code out and back in would give me a log trace. And I can set levels of lock, so my wife or I can unlock the system, but the girls can't. This just keeps getting better!

Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.