Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: When will X10 come up with code protected keypad for DS7000 ?  (Read 52127 times)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
Re: When will X10 come up with code protected keypad for DS7000 ?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2007, 08:03:21 AM »

Yes, GE has been (and probably will be) around for a long time.  ...

Confused yet?   ???  Welcome to the club!   ::)   ;D

GE did sell off its consumer electronics to Thomson back in 1987.  Thomson in turn sold off this TV business to TCL in China 2004, and other stuff (including the RCA name) to Audiovox in 2006.

So while GE might be around for a long time, who knows who actually made their new GE TV?  :D

* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2007, 09:19:34 AM »

...you can actually get monitoring through the home security store for 8.95 a month!!...
http://monitoring.homesecuritystore.com/
I'm also considering the same service at the link alarmrelay.com.

The $8.95 a month is billed annually and there is a $35 setup fee as well as a renewing annual contract. The trade off of having to pay a year in advance is fair when you compare it to most other monitoring services that charge 2 to 3 times as much.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2007, 11:08:22 AM »

The $8.95 a month is billed annually and there is a $35 setup fee as well as a renewing annual contract.

The $8.95 a month does seem to be the rock-bottom price for 24/7 monitoring. But... for $8.95 a month.... what do you really get. A call to your cell phone and then a call to the police? Couldn't you as easily store the police phone number in your cell phone contacts.... and a trusted neighbors phone number?

The true professional systems can detect more than just a tripped alarm... and of course cost more. I wonder what sort of discount I might get on my home insurance, with/without monitoring?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2007, 11:21:32 AM »

... for $8.95 a month.... what do you really get.....
...The true professional systems can detect more than just a tripped alarm... and of course cost more. I wonder what sort of discount I might get on my home insurance, with/without monitoring?
With the above company, fire alert is included also at least for home systems. Hands down I'd rather have a paid monitoring system monitoring my alarm than a neighbor. I haven't asked if there are any hidden costs but I didn't see any when I reviewed the online contract.
Home insurance discount can be as much as 20%. Even 10% would go a long way toward offsetting the monitoring cost.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2007, 01:18:24 PM »

What do you all do to physically "protect" your phone line?

For me, my phone cable comes up form the ground, right next to the power feed conduit. I have always worried that any potential thief could just snip the phone cable.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2007, 01:33:42 PM »

What do you all do to physically "protect" your phone line?

For me, my phone cable comes up form the ground, right next to the power feed conduit. I have always worried that any potential thief could just snip the phone cable.

That's where the cameras come in handy. Record them in the act.  ;)

HA Dave

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2007, 03:23:49 PM »

My brother works for the phone company. Years ago he told me that to keep from carrying tools (evidence) with them, burglars would just kick open the phone company's plastic box (it's a fuse holder and junction box) and pull the fuses out.

It was common for the phone-men to go to the homes after the robbery to restore phone service. Although many people reported "the phone lines had been cut", the phone-men would simply look around in the yard... find the fuses and plug them back in.

It wasn't too difficult for me to figure out how to re-wire the lines so a 2ND set of fuses (in my basement) were the real curcit breaker.

Another idea.... look at Barberry bushes. A great rose colored, hardy bush that looks GREAT under windows and in front of phone boxes (and on camera footage). Wear gloves when planting.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 03:30:41 PM by Dave_x10_L »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2007, 06:33:23 PM »

Walt2,

Many people nowdays go for cellular backup to the alarms phone line connection.  This usually is an added monthly expense in one way or another.

Dave_x10_L,

While, I would hate to be your phone guy, this is exactly the sort of thing that a "real" security company should be telling you.  Make it difficult to approach where you don't want people approaching.  Make it difficult to hide (especially near the house).  And by all means, examine your physical security,  good locks, strong doors, good outside lighting.  Windows are a bit difficult, since there may be a time when you need to get out them.

Basically, while an alarm system is great for your safety if you're home and may deter some from entering or scare them away if they do, it is mostly best at "documenting the crime" for your insurance company.

Personally, I prefer the "keep them outside in the first place" approach.   ;)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2007, 07:23:31 PM »

My brother works for the phone company. Years ago he told me that to keep from carrying tools (evidence) with them, burglars would just kick open the phone company's plastic box (it's a fuse holder and junction box) and pull the fuses out.

On that thought, have any of you put a pad lock on that phone box.  I know that mine has provisions for one.  However, I don't know if the phone company would appreciate that.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2007, 07:38:55 PM »

On that thought, have any of you put a pad lock on that phone box.  I know that mine has provisions for one.  However, I don't know if the phone company would appreciate that.

The new phone boxes (around here at least) are sectional.  The main cover has a hole with a half cover that goes over the side the subscriber is allowed to access (which on mine allows the subscriber to put a lock on it).  The phone company can open the main cover (which removes the subscriber cover lock and all) and gain access to both sides.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

RCaddict

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • My Hobby Site
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2007, 08:03:14 PM »

Basically, while an alarm system is great for your safety if you're home and may deter some from entering or scare them away if they do, it is mostly best at "documenting the crime" for your insurance company.
Personally, I prefer the "keep them outside in the first place" approach.   ;)

"keep them outside in the first place".
That should be the most important strategy in anybody's security plan.

I have installed these equipments to achieve that.
1.Post security signs in the yard and doors.
2. Motion activated lights first come on inside the house and few seconds later outside the house to simulate detection.
3. Door security bar which is the better version of door chain that open a door few inches only in case of lock has been broken. This will trip the magnetic sensors and sound alarm but prevent entry. So any normal chief will tend to flee insted of trying to break in again while the alarm in sounding!

I will not trust the neighbors for my security and nither internet security company. I will rather system call me, brother and a friend who live near by so  we can take whatever necessary action. So far I trust my cell phone. Me and my wife  always carry it. My Kids carry them too and always call us when ever they are in trouble. Quick communication has avoided unnecessary panic and prevented small emergencies getting out of control in the past . It is a provan security device for our family in the past so I want to security system to call my cell too.  I specially like GE event trigger cell call that call me if kids do not enter their code during set time period. This tells me they are not home from school so I can call them.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 08:07:04 PM by RCaddict »

HA Dave

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2007, 08:35:29 PM »

Kick it open..... kick it off the wall.... how much difference could it make [to a thief]. A heavy duty zip-tie works great, can't rust, the key doesn't get misplaced and easily "unlocks" with sidecutters.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2007, 09:35:33 PM »

2. Motion activated lights first come on inside the house and few seconds later outside the house to simulate detection.

I like it!

You're right, back when motion lights first came out, it was much less expected that they were "automatic" and maybe no one was really home.  Now, they are more expected and maybe less of a deterrant (however, lighting the area and exposing the thief to sight is still pretty effective).

Your method does indeed simulate someone being home and hearing a noise outside, which in most cases would be a much bigger deterrant!   8)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

HA Dave

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2007, 10:35:20 PM »

I run a PC 24/7 so I can run BVC. I have downloaded X10dispatcher and am looking at having alerts text messaged to the cell phone (i.e. GDOOR UP, H20 BMENT, WMV SENT.....and so on).

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2007, 01:13:06 PM »

... for $8.95 a month.... what do you really get.....
...The true professional systems can detect more than just a tripped alarm... and of course cost more. I wonder what sort of discount I might get on my home insurance, with/without monitoring?
With the above company, fire alert is included also at least for home systems. Hands down I'd rather have a paid monitoring system monitoring my alarm than a neighbor. I haven't asked if there are any hidden costs but I didn't see any when I reviewed the online contract.
Home insurance discount can be as much as 20%. Even 10% would go a long way toward offsetting the monitoring cost.

Ditto to that!!!! I much rather have a system professionally monitored then rely on a friend or neighbor. Even with the setup fees this is still a great deal and what I've found is that the police are MUCH more responsive to a professional monitoring company placing the call then from a neighbor or family member. I placed a call for a neighbor when her alarm went off and she was out of town and the police didn't respond for hours another neighbor alarm when off the monitoring company called the the police got there in minutes!!

Tom j
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.