Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stupid Newbie Questions  (Read 4554 times)

armfr01

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Stupid Newbie Questions
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:14:36 PM »

Hi,
   I just got the CM15A computer interface with ActiveHome Professional.  I purchased 3 wall outlets, PA011.  I installed the outlets and software successfully.  I have been able to program the timers for each outlet and download the settings to the CM15A.  If I put the CM15A near enough to any of the outlets then they function perfectly BUT I can't get any of the outlets to function if I leave the CM15A plugged into my computer in my office.  This is not what I envisioned.  It seems to make the ALL ON and ALL OFF functions useless.
   Am I doing something wrong?
   I thought the X10 signal traveled through the house wiring?  If that is the case then what is the purpose of the antenna?
Thanks for any help,
Frank

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Stupid Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 06:40:39 PM »

First welcome to the forums.
The antenna is for receiving signals from things like a Motion sensor or a remote like a HR12A Palm Pad.
Yes the X10 signals are passed over the power lines; but there are things that can cause problems reaching modules.
We have some good troubleshooting tips in this area.
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?board=8.0

As for the All On command. You mean the All Lights On one? I believe the wall sockets do not respond to an All Lights On command and Appliance Modules also ignore it.
The All Units Off command should turn them off unless you have a signal problem getting to the modules in question.

armfr01

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 11:40:53 AM »

Thanks for the fast answer.  I 'll have a look at the link you recommended.

Yes, you are right, I was talking about the All Lights On command.  I have also tried the on/off switch on the module control and it also has no effect.  The timers don't work either.  It seems I need to be in the same or an adjacent room for the controller to work which means I must downloadand then unplug the controller from the computer to uset it.  For what I intend to use it for this is a problem because I would really like my wife to be able to just come to the computer and hit the on/off switch if needed.

Thanks, Frank

armfr01

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »

Brian,
   I actually had read a lot of the posts you pointed me at.  Several of the problems sound as if they could be related but it is hard to know where to start.  I think my biggest issue is that I don't have a very protable module since I'm using only wall outlets.  Thus I can't troubleshoot by moving them around.  Perhaps my best bet would be to buy another unit like a lamp module that can just be plugged into various outlets around the house for testing.

Frank

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 02:59:14 PM »

If I put the CM15A near enough to any of the outlets then they function perfectly BUT I can't get any of the outlets to function if I leave the CM15A plugged into my computer in my office.  This is not what I envisioned.  It seems to make the ALL ON and ALL OFF functions useless.

I have a similar problem.  All the electronic equipment I have in my home office, interfere too much with the X10 power-line signals. 

I have to program the CM15A in my office, unplug it, and move the CM15A to an outlet in my breakfast nook.   It turns out that the outlet in my breakfast nook has the best "connection" to all the X10 modules around my house.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 03:44:31 PM »

I have to program the CM15A in my office, unplug it, and move the CM15A to an outlet in my breakfast nook. 

Well... that's simple to fix Walt2! Just "tap" into that curcit and put an outlet in your office. Or.... if your NOT married.... just move your office to the nook.

Having your computer [running] connected to the CM15A 24/7 is required for some functions like On Alert, the camera softwares, .... or my favorite BVC.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 09:55:41 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 06:02:58 PM »

.... just move your office to the nook.

Actually, I just added AHP to my notebook too.  So, now, instead of moving the CM15A to my main PC in my office, I  move my PC (well, my notebook) to the CM15A.  :D

But as noted in other thread, that has its own problems like when I start AHP on my notebook, it sends out extended configuration commands resetting my 2-ways.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

RCaddict

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • My Hobby Site
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 09:22:02 AM »

Yes it is important to find that magic outlet   ;)
In my case it is the one closest to the power distribution box which is actually science not magic  :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.