Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?

I Don't Want X10 SPAMMING My E-Mail!
- 0 (0%)
I'm Too Lazy to Exert That Much Effort.
- 1 (10%)
I'm Logging in from Work and Don't Want to Get Caught.
- 1 (10%)
I'm Just Visiting / Not Sure If I'm Interested in X10.
- 1 (10%)
I Just Want to Read The Posts - Leave Me Alone!
- 2 (20%)
TBD #1 (Allow for future options)
- 4 (40%)
TBD #2 (Allow for future options)
- 0 (0%)
TBD #3 (Allow for future options)
- 1 (10%)
TBD #4 (Allow for future options)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?  (Read 135068 times)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:54:30 PM »

I monitor Who's Online whenever I'm logged on and, AFAICT, the GUESTS *ALWAYS* outnumber the Registered Members:(

Why is that?  ??? (i.e. REPLIES from NEWBIEs are encouraged!  ;) )

{ Long-time Registered Members - ***PLEASE*** DON'T VOTE! :-* }
[ It's not necessary to VOTE to VIEW RESULTS! ;) ]

The "intended " audience of this thread is GUESTS/LURKERS  -(like PUCK!);D
GUEST / LURKER turned NEWBIE / PARTICIPANT #1

I really would like to see more NEW posters (like PUCK!) participating in the "Community", and I'd appreciate any help I can get in regards to achieving this goal. 

Thanks, in advance, for your cooperation! :)

Dave_x10_L: THANKS! :) Welcome to the "Community!" ;D
mince: THANKS! :) Welcome to the "Community!" ;D
mackie1604: THANKS! :) Welcome to the "Community!" ;D

JRMCLENDON, ve3bwp, german73, Retroguy, p2459, Rosa, ralex17, galstaf: What's Up??  ???

NEWBIEs:

X10 Pro #1 (Michael Cole), in his infinite wisdom (doesn't someone *ALWAYS* say that? :D ),  decided to name this place the "X10 Community".

Well, the way I was brought up (years and years ago, in a galaxy...), when you JOIN a new community, you don't just walk in and start asking questions *WITHOUT* first introducing yourself (that's considered Bad Manners!  >:( ). After a "false start " :o (with the over-enthusiastic "Cheers Gang ;) ), puck aka Dan braved everything and got the ball rolling. [THANKS DAN! :)]

So, although I could go back to the beginning of time ::), I just went back as far as puck. Anyone who has JOINed since puck *AND* has posted more than TWO messages (proving that you're NOT bashful :-X ), *PLEASE* participate!!! :)

This will either SCARE *EVERY* GUEST/LURKER away (from the idea of ever JOINing)
*OR*
improve the "
Community".

It's up to YOU - the Members - to decide the direction... ;)

Member _ _ _ Date Registered _ _ _ # Posts _Voted _Intro
rjgilliam16 Oct 2006 12:44:51 PM02NN
ralex1713 Oct 2006 02:48:54 PM04NN
Rosa12 Oct 2006 10:23:36 PM03NN
p245911 Oct 2006 07:28:10 PM04NN
Retroguy11 Oct 2006 06:44:03 PM02NN
german7310 Oct 2006 02:14:55 AM03NN
mackie160410 Oct 2006 01:09:11 AM03NY
ve3bwp09 Oct 2006 12:48:09 AM02NN
Dave_x10_L08 Oct 2006 09:35:44 PM13NY
mince08 Oct 2006 04:32:00 PM03NY
JRMCLENDON08 Oct 2006 11:31:48 AM04NN
Puck07 Oct 2006 10:27:43 PM18NY

[I'll move this table to the FIRST post in the thread after the new INTROs start rolling in.  :) ]

..I'm fairly new with using X-10 stuff (about a year now) and since I started using AHP (last April), I have visited this site as a Guest almost daily. To help answer the question of this thread, in some cases (at least with me) the help I was looking for either already existed so I didn't bother to join in or I just worked through the problem myself.

So, now I decided to join in for 2 main reasons...

• 1.) To say thank you to all the regulars here for all their help. Particularly guys like TTA & Tuicemen. I don't know if you realize how many people you help, or at least lead in the right direction, but I guarantee you it's more than you are aware of.
  • 2.) In the year that I've been using X-10, I have learned a lot and the only way I can help share my experience is be a member of this board.

I'd like to give you a quick background of myself, even though X-10 is fairly new to me, I have been into automation since the 70's (using my Commodore PET's user interface... that should bring back memorys for a few oldtimers.) I am an Electronics Technologist so I have made various posted mods to some components when needed and adding my own. I am currently using X-10's Protector Plus security system, XCAMs and use AHP (with Myhouse & Smart Macros) controlling about 90% of my homes lighting. Even though I have heard the words "I wish my house was normal", I do have a high WAF.

Looking forward to associating with all you X-10 users,

Dan[/size][/b]

[Puck edit: applied normal font to my name]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 04:54:20 PM by Puck »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
Re: GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 06:54:11 PM »

I just read the post @
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=10034.new#new

With an upgrade maybe un-registered persons will be stopped from postingt.
I hope that's the case.

If someone doesn't want to be a member of the forum then they should be able to read but NOT POST !

Do I get an Amen to that ?  ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 02:07:33 PM by Duck69 »
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 07:10:13 PM »

...If someone doesn't [want] to be a member of the forum then they should be able to read but NOT POST !

Do I get an Amen to that ?
Sounds fair to me.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 07:22:09 PM »

If someone doesn't to be a member of the forum then they should be able to read but NOT POST !

Do I get an Amen to that ?  ;D
Most agree with that! When I'm on as a guest(very rarely) I don't post anyways ;) :D!
Quote from: steven r
I never liked the stuff even before I gave up eating ham and some of the other stuff in it.
I never could handle it either, mom Always tried to hide it in sandwiches  :P :P :P yuk! :P ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 07:43:58 PM »

BTW... Can a guest rate someone?
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 08:06:29 PM »

BTW... Can a guest rate someone?
good question! I'm not sure what all privliages they have! Maybe they can't even vote in the polls!(which would explain the results) ;) :D perhaps x10javier could shed some light on that! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 07:00:52 AM »

steven; Good question on the ratings. Most forums don't let guests post. Why register and give an email address if we don't have to.
In earlier days X10 was known as a spam king and if they had your email address look out.
Spywareblaster by default still stops X10 from my computer. Each upgrade I do needs a unchecking of the X10 sites address to get there. ;D

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 08:01:55 AM »

...Spywareblaster by default still stops X10 from my computer. Each upgrade I do needs a unchecking of the X10 sites address to get there....
I had to edit the host file I put on my laptop also. It blocked X10 by default.
It's got to be embarrassing to have your company known for spam.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 11:31:54 PM »

Hello,

Not sure if I'm following the right string here or not...  it kinda turned into a Monty Python one (not that that is a bad thing).

I'm fairly new with using X-10 stuff (about a year now) and since I started using AHP (last April), I have visited this site as a Guest almost daily. To help answer the question of this tread, in some cases (at least with me) the help I was looking for either already existed so I didn't bother to join in or I just worked through the problem myself.

So, now I decided to join in for 2 main reasons...1) to say thank you to all the regulars here for all their help. Particularly guys like TTA & Tuicemen. I don't know if you realize how many people you help, or at least lead in the right direction, but I guarantee you it's more than you are aware of.
And 2) In the year that I've been using X-10, I have learned a lot and the only way I can help share my experience is be a member of this board.

I'd like to give you a quick background of myself, even though X-10 is fairly new to me, I have been into automation since the 70's (using my Commodore PET's user interface... that should bring back memorys for a few oldtimers.) I am an Electronics Technologist so I have made various posted mods to some components when needed and adding my own. I am currently using X-10's Protector Plus security system, XCAMs and use AHP (with Myhouse & Smart Macros) controlling about 90% of my homes lighting. Even though I have heard the words "I wish my house was normal", I do have a high WAF.

Looking forward to associating with all you X-10 users,

Dan

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 02:32:19 AM »

So, now I decided to join in for 2 main reasons...1) to say thank you to all the regulars here for all their help. Particularly guys like TTA & Tuicemen.

Personally, I appreciate it VERY MUCH when someone takes the time to post or PM a "Thank You ".  :)  [You heard the one about 1000 ATTABOYs versus 1 Aw $H!T::) ]  Somedays, after investing hour upon hour creating some FAQ / Post, you wonder if anyone is actually getting any benefit out of it.

...I don't know if you realize how many people you help, or at least lead in the right direction, but I guarantee you it's more than you are aware of.

Sure we do!  ;)

Out of the 5877 Current Members:

• TakeTheActive has helped: 43 (0.73%)
  • Tuicemen has helped: 29 (0.49%)

It's right there on the left side of your screen next to each of our posts.  8)

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 03:07:34 AM »

Not sure if I'm following the right string here or not...

...I'm fairly new with using X-10 stuff (about a year now) and since I started using AHP (last April), I have visited this site as a Guest almost daily. To help answer the question of this tread, in some cases (at least with me) the help I was looking for either already existed so I didn't bother to join in or I just worked through the problem myself.

Puck,

You are the *FIRST* person to reply to this thread from my "intended " audience (GUEST/LURKER turned NEWBIE vs the "Cheers" regulars that *ALWAYS* jump in  :-[ ). 

Thanks for taking a chance!  :)

Did the fact that there were no other NEWBIEs, but LOADs of the "Cheers" Gang, participating tend to initially discourage you from posting?  ???

To date, I've created 3 (unsuccessfulPolls "intended " to spur GUEST / LURKER / NEWBIE participation:

...it kinda turned into a Monty Python one (not that that is a bad thing).

It seems like the "Gang" can easily get diverted into a completely unrelated topic within a thread. If no one has any objections, within the next 24-48 hours, I would like to delete (if the original posters haven't done so already) all of the unrelated info and then maybe more NEWBIEs like Puck will choose to participate.

Thanks!  :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 03:01:29 PM »

"Did the fact that there were no other NEWBIEs, but LOADs of the "Cheers" Gang, participating tend to initially discourage you from posting? "

TakeTheActive,

The answer to that question is no. It was always a matter of just doing it.
When you started this topic a couple weeks ago, it provided a nice entry point to become a member without having a question. Maybe having a thread for new member intoduction may help others as this one has for me.

Seeing the "Cheers" Gang having fun was also an incentive.

I highly recommend any other regular guests to become a member... Theres a lot more information on the screen as a member than as a guest.

Regards

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 03:28:48 PM »

Puck
Thanks for the high Praise! ;) :D and welcome a Board!
As TTA stated
Personally, I appreciate it VERY MUCH when someone takes the time to post or PM a "Thank You ". 
This reflects my feelings exactly! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 04:14:30 PM »

Now to put in my two cents worth.

It's great to see you posted a thank you.

TTA, Tuicemen, Brian H, Charles Sullivan and others are constantly helping others.

They spend a lot of their time helping those of us in need of help and receive very little or no recognition or appreciation at all in return for their efforts.

I should also add
RESTRAINT in answering many of the same questions time & time again.[/b]
[/size]

Hats off to these mentors !

[TTA EDIT: Fixed your unmatched {COLOR} and incorrectly nested {SIZE} switches. ;) ]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 06:40:20 PM by TakeTheActive »
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 05:26:36 PM »

Welcome aboard... And Otis69 is right! Thanks to everyone for all their time and help. Its everyone as a group that makes it happen. As a guest your just a visitor reading posts but as a member you become part of the group.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.