Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?

I Don't Want X10 SPAMMING My E-Mail!
- 0 (0%)
I'm Too Lazy to Exert That Much Effort.
- 1 (10%)
I'm Logging in from Work and Don't Want to Get Caught.
- 1 (10%)
I'm Just Visiting / Not Sure If I'm Interested in X10.
- 1 (10%)
I Just Want to Read The Posts - Leave Me Alone!
- 2 (20%)
TBD #1 (Allow for future options)
- 4 (40%)
TBD #2 (Allow for future options)
- 0 (0%)
TBD #3 (Allow for future options)
- 1 (10%)
TBD #4 (Allow for future options)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?  (Read 135067 times)

medvampire

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2006, 10:51:12 PM »

I was asked to paste my intro here so here it is  ;D
I work as a med tech in E. Tennessee. I work in a small hospital lab. Like I tell my friends “Think of the most gross things that can come out of your body and I can tell you what is in it”. I am just recently married and have 2 step sons I love dearly but am learning that you must help them to learn self control. The oldest is 14 and constantly on line chatting with the ladies  and the youngest 10 is constantly playing games . I have put a content filter in place using Clark Connect through a WAP but that doesn’t control the amount of time they are on their PC or TV so I thought of X10 and AHP to control their time and when they have access. I also am interested in the home automation, security, and surveillance that X10 provides but I will have to buy a few pieces at a time. I am grateful to the forum from witch I have gleamed so much info here.
Thanks
Steve

medvampire

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2006, 11:18:19 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcomes from all here in the forums.
I will have to say this is one of the more friendly forums I have found on the net. ;D
Thanks
Steve

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2006, 05:07:28 PM »

I just purchased the AHP suite. X10 already emailed me my codes and I downloaded and registered the software. Easy enough....course I do this kind of stuff at my day job.

I feel like a complete newbie... and it's exciting!

It will be this weekend before I can do much more.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

MrBlackCat

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2006, 09:58:30 PM »

Because I posted an (excessive?) introduction into my first post with a question, I will re-post it here also.
Do I HAVE to be a NEWBIE?  It sounds so... New or something.  :)
Ok, ok... I am NEW then... I will just have to get over it.  (am I shining or anything?)
Just kidding.  :)

Here is my excessive introduction... again... (I didn't clean this up much in case it seems to be leading up to a question that is "missing")
Here is a link to the whole painfully long, out of hand first post...

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=10922.0

****begin paste****

Hello to Everyone, well not technically everyone, just anyone who reads this post. :)

After about 20 hours of reading (not continuously) I decided to register and see if I could find out any information directly I am looking for and to possibly offer my 2 cents (plus tax) on some of the messages I read here.

Since this is my first post, I will throw in some comments and an introduction based on having read several thousand posts before joining this Message System.

I have had SO many thoughts as I read, but most posts were older and a quick check shows the originator of the post never came back again or even thanked anyone, at least publicly.  (shame!)  The good part is that I don't expect much from most people anyway, so I am not surprised or let down etc.

A persons first experience on an internet message board can be REALLY HARSH!  I have used many message boards since the BBS days and like many here, I finally got used to seeing what I see here...  How many message boards has anyone been to where there was more positive/praise posts than negative/bashing posts? (rhetorical)  Depending on the type of board, it isn't many.  In my opinion, it isn't because there IS so much negative, or even because negative people are more likely to complain or whine about things, but because few people will praise anything.  One reason that comes to mind might be because it (e.g. a level of quality) is expected.  If a product says it can do X and do it well, and it does, the that is just "ok" and not "great" or something that deserves praise, to most.  I don't deny that there is an obvious pattern of unhappy people having to tell everyone about it, while satisfied people tend to just move along.  Maybe the satisfied people here are off playing with their X10!  :)
It is my opinion, that most of the positive posts here don't seem to be posted because someone sought out a place to tell others just how great their X10 equipment was.  Many of the positive posts are in defensive reaction to the negative posts more so than just "finding a place to praise X10", is my point.  (calm down few, I said most, not all)  I could go on for hours, days and pages about the psychology involved, but I won't.  I will say that most of those "ranters" seldom are here for resolution though.  They are just angry and passing it along.  I have read hundreds of posts like that mixed in with some valid angry ones.  I can see through it, but when I see someone putting a huge effort into "helping" someone who isn't here for help, that actually bothers me.  However, on a positive note, there is a LOT of information here for someone who is looking for resolution to problems.  People say X10 should do more to support their products and I would have to agree GENERALLY, but they DID put this message board here.  Even for a great company, a message system like this can be "dangerous" in a way due the reasons mentioned above relative to "more negative feedback than positive".  I have seen many supporters here say the same thing I just said a dozen different ways.  (e.g. How often have you written a company to rave about their product compared to the number of times you have written to inform them of your dissatisfaction? Rhetorical example)

Moving along...
My X10.  I have been using these X10 products since the Sears and Roebuck days.  For what I have, and what I've done with it, I like it a lot. (a WHOLE lot? Yes.)
Here is my (tiny?) negative experience with X10.  12 years ago or so I blew one Radio Shack  61-2676 Transceiver.  Within the next couple of years a wall switch and two lamp modules stopped working.  One lamp module was my fault because of accidentally using it with a very large old computer I had at the time by accident. (got two same color power cords swapped!)  Lesson #(lost count): Never dim a 150 pound computer with Dual 8 inch drives while it is running.  This is just asking too much of even X10.  Sounds like I was dimmed a bit that day, that wasn't too bright. ;)
Seems the power where I live has some serious (sustained) voltage spikes, so we eat electronics and light bulbs like chips around here.  I run 130V bulbs in all incandescent light fixtures.

The point to the above paragraph is that the X10 equipment I have is very tolerant and durable.
I have bought nothing new X10 in more than 10 years.  I have not needed to.  (until recently, getting to that)  My old X10 works very well and has for many years, used constantly for an ever-changing wide range of tasks.
I have most of the standard controllers, switches, and modules from the 80's and early 90's.  I used to write some very complex (I thought) software in Basic for my CP290.  I still use my CP290 daily as well as my 2676 RF Transmitters and Transceiver.  Maybe a couple dozen all together.  They have moved with me a couple of times now.  My favorite toy... The Radio Shack Homeminder.  The heart of my system for YEARS!  (yes, that is screaming you must have a Homeminder to understand)  I loved that thing!  The first few months I had it, it blew the video.  No problem, under warranty, they fixed it right up.  Later, out of warranty, it blew the video again and I paid a very reasonable amount to have it fixed again.  Years later (not sure when, maybe 93?  94?) it blew out again.  Times had changed and they wanted $70+ dollars to fix it this time.  I had only paid $59 new for the unit, so I chose not to do it.  I retired it and packed it up.  It was dark times in the land... oh wait, never mind.  I was just unhappy for a few days. :)

I am now remodeling my next house and adding full X10 throughout.  New X10 equipment can be had so inexpensively from sellers on eBay these days, it is amazing to me.  I have bought hundreds more dollars of just basic items.  There are built in 220 volt heaters in each room, so the 220V 20AMP DPDT's are EXCELLENT!  The majority of the rooms will have their on controllers and house code.  I have 7 house codes already laid out/planned and partially set up for use at this time.  Gathering equipment and setting up one area at a time.

Ending the ramble now.  I think that is enough introduction.  Now to get back to my first question.  I will post other questions in the appropriate threads as I present them.

Ramble closing statement:  With the X10 items I have and use, I have had what I consider excellent usability and reliability for 20+ years.  Now that I have bought a large batch of new stuff to use, I will keep you posted in a comparison.  I will not be using much of what I read people are having issues with though.  No software (that I don't write), no cameras, no CM15A etc.  I have PC's in every room and mobiles (Libretto's) anyway, so with FireCrackers and a mouse, life is simple enough for me.  I fully plan on developing my own software when I move in to this house.  I am amazed this hasn't been done more, or maybe it has and I have not found it anyway.   The Third Party Add-Ons and Software was the first section I read on X10's site along side Google searches.

****end paste****

Thank you for reading... or at least scrolling to the end. :)

John Martin
MrBlackCat

(original post)
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=10922.0
Homeminder, and CP290... The good ole days. :)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2006, 10:03:21 PM »

Welcome aboard John (AKA MrBlackCat).  From the sounds of it you won't be a newbie long so enjoy it while you can.  ;D
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2006, 01:20:48 PM »

Welcome aboard MrBlackCat, I look forward to reading your posts.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2006, 06:06:40 PM »

MrBlackCat,
It is always nice to see long time users joining the Community!
I'm sure I'll  learn a thing or two from you as I have from many newbies! ;) :D
Pull up a stool!
;) *Cheers!* ;)
My daughter who is taking her masters in Nuclear Physics asks  me "How do you know so much?"
Answer: Reading and listening to others and their problems!
Newbies help me learn some more ! ;) :D ;D
And if someone gets your problem solve at least post that "yes that fixed it "
Then we know if the same isue pops up again that that is the fixed! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2006, 06:49:05 PM »

Welcome MrBlackCat

I haven't been around all that long myself. But very nice to see more joining the cheers gang!

MrBlackCat

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2006, 07:16:13 PM »

Thank you guys for a very positive reception to the board.  There is a lot of data here on this Message Board and I am systematically trying to read all posts and catch up as well.  This is taking considerable time.
Ok, Ok... I am pre-apologizing for not getting back to a thread where someone is kind enough to offer information and am slow to respond if a response is needed.

I really was just kidding about concerns with being a Newbie.  Status is not a consideration to me really. Real Respect doesn't come from those numbers.  I do like respect though... that is nice gift to earn.  I will keep a "respect-o-meter" in my head.  :)

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has extended a hand so to speak...
John Martin
Mr.BlackCat
Homeminder, and CP290... The good ole days. :)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2007, 07:27:51 PM »

MrBlackCat « Reply #48 on: 2006-11-13, 21:58:30 »

Never Give Up
[/size][/color]
Plus there has been at least one introduction. medvampire has introduced himself in the topic he started: Access control for kids computer and TV

Your Nudging lives on.  ;)
[/size]

I feel that it would come across better if the Nudging came from multiple members instead of just one (me!). With just me constantly pushing all my new ideas (getting NEWBIEs to Introduce themselves; getting OLDTIMERs to write articles; etc...), it looks like I'm trying to jam "my way or the highway" down everyone's throats - and that is *NOT* my intention at all...
<---snip--->

You see, no TTA Nudging, no new Newbie Introductions. :(

I just Nudged jimsnorton in Re: HELP !! HELP !! CM15A's causing BALDNESS - we'll see what happens... ::)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2007, 06:07:57 PM »

You see, no TTA Nudging, no new Newbie Introductions. :(

I just Nudged jimsnorton in Re: HELP !! HELP !! CM15A's causing BALDNESS - we'll see what happens... ::)

:( Nuthin'!!! :(

TTA,
Gee, I thought we had elected you to the post of
X10 Forum Nudger Extraordinaire;D ;D ;D
If not you have my vote as you are eloquent at expressing what needs to be said.
You gotta help me out here with the bashful Newbies Duck69... ??? :-\
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

aleis

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2007, 10:23:21 PM »

IM HERE!!  ;D

thanks for the warm welcome guys :)
a little about me...

IM A TECH ADDICT!! :)
i mean if that doesnt explain it all! :)
im in PA. 19079!
MCP holder!
real estate investing and telecommunications pay the bills! :)
single father of baby Beans! :)
he`s 1 (as of 12/12/06)
im trying to be connected to everything all at the same time! :)
i want my life to be like an episode of star trek! :)
i know you guys can help me out!
cant wait to get things running properly!
so far x10.com has been very good to me!
everything is easy to set up.
but i cannot access the x10dispatcher web server from another PC.
what am i doing wrong??????????????????

TIA!

HA Dave

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2007, 11:03:35 PM »

Welcome to the forum aleis!

i want my life to be like an episode of star trek! :)
i know you guys can help me out!

Don't we all want a life like that. I have found a way to control my X10 devices from my command chair (recliner) and living quarters, pretty much like Kirk and Jon Luc. Thanks to a guy named Bill and his Voice Commander software (this is a link to a thread here at this forum). And when the computer speaks to me... she sounds alot like seven of nine.

cant wait to get things running properly!
so far x10.com has been very good to me!
everything is easy to set up.
but i cannot access the x10dispatcher web server from another PC.
what am i doing wrong??????????????????

Sorry I don't know anything about X10dispatcher! But I am sure someone (here at the forum) will have some Helpful information for you with that. But while your waiting ..... try searching [using the search funtion] here at the forum..... you might even just find the answer. I will be following your post be sure to let us know how things work out.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:12:15 PM by Dave_x10_L »

rms59

• Helpful Post Rating: 15
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2007, 07:31:26 PM »

Ok, you win.

I'm a retired printed circuit designer, 66 years old, and have several X10's working for my pole light, can lights, and to turn on my wireless remote printer which is in another room.

I like to fly RC planes, (electric) and play with my 3 year old granddaughter. I live in the Northeast USA. I also fool around with computers and have a home network set up.

As far as X10, I don't want to have anything on my computer that programs them. I like to turn them on or off with a handheld remote when I want. Right now, I need to figure out how to get a thermostat to close my drapes...

Hope this gets me into the club.  ;D

Dick

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2007, 08:25:24 PM »

Welcome aboard !
rms59
Posting here isn't a requirement ;) But it does give us more info about new users!
I've read your thread  and, I'm sure the suggestions would keep coming regardless! ;) :D ;D
But a threat of no Soup you must be hungry! ;) :D :D
aleis I posted a walk through in your thread!
Cheers Guys
I'm sure everyone will learn your names! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.