Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?

I Don't Want X10 SPAMMING My E-Mail!
- 0 (0%)
I'm Too Lazy to Exert That Much Effort.
- 1 (10%)
I'm Logging in from Work and Don't Want to Get Caught.
- 1 (10%)
I'm Just Visiting / Not Sure If I'm Interested in X10.
- 1 (10%)
I Just Want to Read The Posts - Leave Me Alone!
- 2 (20%)
TBD #1 (Allow for future options)
- 4 (40%)
TBD #2 (Allow for future options)
- 0 (0%)
TBD #3 (Allow for future options)
- 1 (10%)
TBD #4 (Allow for future options)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?  (Read 135126 times)

Edward222

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Introduction from Fort Payne AL
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2007, 10:58:08 AM »

Greetings,

It is great to finally meet others who share the passion of Home automation.

My name is Edward McIntire, I am new to this forum, but not to the X-10 system.  I purchased my first modules and controllers from Radio Shack some 20 years ago (I think).  I brought them with my TRS-80 Color Computer (Now that was technology).  I also had a controller and software that allowed the TRS-80 computer run all the modules.  I even had speech recognition software that allowed me to say "TV on" and it would turn on my TV.  All my friends were amazed.  I wanted to have a fully automated home, like in the movies.  Of course, that didn't happen, there were just too many problems and obstacles, and I didn't have a degree in electrical engineering.  (Believe it or not I still have several TRS-80 computers, modules, and controllers packed away) 

Here I am now, after spending 23 years in the military, settling down in a home of my own again and ready to start building my dream automated home a little at a time.  I just purchased the following;

6 x 2-pin Appliance Module AM486
1 x ActiveHome Pro Computer Interface and USB cable CM15A
1 x Credit Card Controller KR22A
3 x Lamp Module LM465
2 x 500W Dimming Wall Switch Module
1 x Wireless Transceiver Module
1 x PalmPad Remote Control
   and the following software;
ActiveHome Pro Smart Macro Plug-in
AHP Plugin - AVX - Video
AHP Plugin - ANT - Network
AHP Plugin - Security
ActiveHome Professional Software

I am eager to get it all up and running, but from the articles I've read on this forum I see that technology hasn't really jumped too far forward in the past 20 years.  I still see there is a phase and noise problem to overcome (of which I still do not know the answers) and the software is basically just as simple and unstable as my original Color Computer software.  (Perhaps my grandson will have better luck.)

Speaking of the phase problem, is there an easy (newbie) workaround?  I have read many of the forum articles like the article by Phil Kingery "Which one should I use part 3"  that recommends a CP000 Passive Coupler.  Yet I have read others that say they fixed the problem with a 99 cents capacitor.  Is there now a commonly used, reliable, cheep, fix for this problem?  If so, is there a place that explains (in layman’s terms) what I need to buy and where to put it?

Is there anyone out there who has truly automated his/her home?  If so please tell me abut it. 

I am now living in Fort Payne AL, where are you guys from?

Edward

[TTA Edit: MERGED with the "OFFICIAL" Introductions Thread.]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 05:53:57 AM by TakeTheActive »

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Introduction from Fort Payne AL
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2007, 11:44:55 AM »

Welcome to the forum Edward!

Most of the regular posters here have quite extensive home automation set-ups. There are many articles posted here about them. For the phase coupling issue, JeffVolp has some excellent articles posted on that topic.

Looking forward to hearing how you progress with your set-up.

Cheers!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2007, 07:10:45 PM »

Welcome to the forum Edward222

Your right about the basic (phase, noise) problems not changing. But help and solutions are easily found here.

Many here have much more automation than myself.... so I can't say I am FULLY automated. Heck, my mini blinds on the windows are all still manually operated, and I have to actually drive the mower around the yard to cut my grass. But I am working on fully automated!

You should check out BXVC and BVC. Voice Control is here, now.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 09:57:38 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2007, 12:06:18 AM »

Yes, welcome aboard Edward222!

Always nice to meet someone else bitten by the Home Automation bug!

While the basic X10 technology hasn't advanced much since the days of the COCO (I remember those), there are lots of creative and intelligent X10 "junkies" on this board that have contributed many work-arounds for X10's basic deficiencies.  So, dive in, there are "life-guards" on duty!

Also, as Dave_x10_L pointed out, BVC (which can be downloaded here) and the older version BXVC are my attempt at combining 21st century Voice Recognition technology with 20th century X10 technology (and hopefully soon, Infra-red remote technology to control TV's, etc.).  It may not be a "flying car", but at least it delivers on some of what "Sci-Fi" promised for the 21st century!

Have fun automating!   :D
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2007, 06:41:02 AM »

Welcome Edward222
Looking forward to reading your posts. Not only can you ask questions here and get excellent answers but you can post your ideas and how your using X10. I always find it very interesting to read how people use X10 gear and I'm always amazed at how creative user are.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2007, 09:26:13 AM »

Hi Edward222;
Glad you found us and it sounds like you may have much to share with us.
I have had a few CoCo's over the years and started with a HeathKit H8 Computer. Audio tape storage and all. ::)
I see you have done some research on varied sources.
Yes a cheap cap could be used across the phases. I used a AC PowerLine rated one myself for a few years. Now I use a ACT CR234. Though; I think a powerline spike got it last week; as I had to put my older Smarthome Dryer Outlet one back for now. As some have pointed out; if the cap failed and you had a fire. The insurance Company may frown on the simple cap.
Oh yes I am in CT.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2007, 06:23:26 AM »

It is great to finally meet others who share the passion of Home automation.

Passion? Or incurable affliction? ::)

...I purchased my first modules and controllers from Radio Shack some 20 years ago (I think)... ...Here I am now, after spending 23 years in the military, settling down in a home of my own again and ready to start building my dream automated home a little at a time...

Welcome! :)

Another "Old Geezer" joins the fold!

(Believe it or not I still have several TRS-80 computers, modules, and controllers packed away) 

Believe it or not, I still have several RCA COSMAC 1802 computers, modules, and etc... packed away!  :D

...I am eager to get it all up and running, but from the articles I've read on this forum I see that technology hasn't really jumped too far forward in the past 20 years.  I still see there is a phase and noise problem to overcome (of which I still do not know the answers) and the software is basically just as simple and unstable as my original Color Computer software.  (Perhaps my grandson will have better luck.)

Just keep reading the forums and you'll soon understand - if it doesn't generate more $$$ for X10, it doesn't get changed. :P

...Speaking of the phase problem, is there an easy (newbie) workaround?  I have read many of the forum articles like the article by Phil Kingery "Which one should I use part 3"  that recommends a CP000 Passive Coupler.  Yet I have read others that say they fixed the problem with a 99 cents capacitor.  Is there now a commonly used, reliable, cheep, fix for this problem?  If so, is there a place that explains (in layman’s terms) what I need to buy and where to put it?

Boilerplate Newbie Response: MAP / MEASURE / CORRECT

...is there an easy (newbie) workaround?

Shotgun or sniper rifle?
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2007, 10:07:31 AM »

...Just keep reading the forums and you'll soon understand - if it doesn't generate more $$$ for X10, it doesn't get changed....
Sadly that pretty much sums up X10's position on fixing problems.  :(
I'd sure hate to work in their costumer service department. You would have to say sorry we don't have a fix for that almost every other caller.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2007, 04:25:22 PM »

...I'd sure hate to work in their costumer service department...

Imagine telling wardrobe that you wear a size 36x32 pants and on the night of your performance finding all of your outfits are 32x36! :o 

Costumer Service would get an earful from me, for sure! :D

Details, it's all in the details son...
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

mrmedia

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2007, 01:35:14 PM »

... "The previous content of this post violated the posted X10 General Forum User Etiquette policy and has been removed.
In addition, the original poster has been warned." ...

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:05:31 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.