Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is it posible to hook multible USB video converters two one computer  (Read 13286 times)

cableless

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have been an X10 user for many years.  I currently use ActiveHome Pro with the iWitness software for security.  The X10 equipment is used to control multiple cameras, motion sensors and turn lights on and off.  I use the VA11A with the X10 software to record pictures when motion is detected outside the house and all works great. 

I created a LabView program to monitor motion and window movement inside the house.  When someone comes to the door I would like to view a live video image of who is at the door with my LabView program and not the iWitness program. 

Both LabView and the ActiveHome Pro software are always running.  If ActiveHome Pro software starts first them I can't view video with the LabView software.  If LabView starts first then I can't view video or record pictures with ActiveHome Pro.

I have an Adaptec video converter that I'm trying to install while the VA11A remains hooked to the computer.  The result is only one video converter will working at a time.  Is it possible to have two USB video converters on the same computer and both using different software at the same time?

I need the VA11A to work with the ActivHome Pro software and the Adaptec video converter to work with the LabView software.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Is it posible to hook multible USB video converters two one computer
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 11:32:21 PM »

Wow.... sounds like you have a reall setup!

Are you using just the one monitor? The PC may find it easier to view two video sources ... through two seperate video cards.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

cableless

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 07:06:10 AM »

I have a very tiny HP-e-pc 40 (like a small vectra) tucked away that runs the show.  I have a touch screen located near the front door.  This computer will not accommodate a second video card (no expansion slots).

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »

Sorry about the video card..... But your system sounds cool.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 07:49:15 PM »

It should be possible to have multiple video USB video converters in use at one time. Assuming the Adaptec video converter is a standard windows video device, it should show up in the list of available sources in Labview. AHP only works with the VA11A of course, and if it's in use you can't use the VA11A in Labview.

At one point we wrote a proof of concept to use multiple VA11As on one system and have X10 software be able to use any available adapters. It would have been cool to release, but the system overhead was pretty high, and we didn't feel we could have sold it to very many people.

cableless

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 09:16:51 PM »

This is a screen shot of the hardware conflict.

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 01:09:38 PM »

I'm not sure how to approach that problem. What drivers does the Adaptec device use? They should be listed in the driver details section.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.