Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Forum Suggestion  (Read 38288 times)

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: A Forum Suggestion
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 10:35:46 PM »

In fact the section Censorship can be deleted.  The last post (there are only 2) was 3 years ago!!!

Interesting point Dan.

Thoughts guys?   ???
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 04:04:33 PM »

Well, again, I'm not a CO and this board is yours not mine, but to me deleting posts for distasteful content creates a mistrust of the openness of the forums in general. All the old posts about censorship came from posts going missing. The posts were gone because of buggy forum software, but people thought that X10 was trying to hide critical comments. X10 doesn't have the greatest reputation for respecting its customer in that way, so that was understandable to me.

You'll probably see that there have been no posts about censorship since we moved to the current forum. I think that is almost certainly due to you guys (and X10) doing a minimal amount of culling of posts. Only blatant spam and abuse gets removed, and everything else stays. That gives people confidence that their voice is heard, and that they can trust what they find here.

I do think that the old posts are now of limited usefulness, and it might be a good idea to archive everything older than 2005 -- but to pick individual posts to delete because we don't like them or don't think they look good erodes the credibility that has been built here.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 10:00:38 PM »

Darn it MichaelC!  Now you're forcing me to think!   ;D
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 10:41:02 AM »

I do think that the old posts are now of limited usefulness, and it might be a good idea to archive everything older than 2005 -- ............................................

You know better than I do.... But I fine it hard [for me] to believe that questions/problems/solutions posted today will be "of limited usefulness" in two years. However it is very true that many ...if not MOST posts are repeats of information already available through a search.

It is the back-and-forth nature [of posts and replys].... that puts the "community" in the X10 Community Forums. As long as archived information was also available through the search, the forum(s) could better serve the X10 community. As BOTH a resource of knowledge and a current discussion group.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 09:21:51 AM »

Actually the suggestion (topic)of archiving older post has come up in CO discussion with X10 Staff numerous times as yet the Brass fail to see the need!
I agree With MichaelC we can't just go deleting old posts!
The Censorship post was just the first post I found about missing posts and MichaelC is likely right that it was a server issue But I have received e-mails asking about missing posts A search usually turns them up!
On the Note about links always working for moved threads: I have come across one that didn't,  the root cause seems to have been a merger with a new thread and possibly several moves  ::) ???
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 03:59:45 PM »

Dave_x10_L's questioning my calling old posts "of limited usefulness" is right on target. Thinking about it again it seems to me that keeping all old posts has value even if they seem dated or remind us (or X10) of things that we would rather forget.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 04:23:12 PM »

...it seems to me that keeping all old posts has value even if they seem dated or remind us (or X10) of things that we would rather forget.
This is my feeling also. I'd rather a misleading or outdated post or comment be so noted than removed.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.