Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multiple WS467s in one junction box?  (Read 11886 times)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Multiple WS467s in one junction box?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 02:22:16 PM »

As a kid (pre or early teens) and before I knew what a split outlet was, one of my experiments involved running a wire from the live side of an outlet on the other side of the room to override a switched outlet. Things got a little safer when I found out how rewire the outlet as a split one.

Then there was the experiment where I ran current from the live side of an outlet through a bulb to the grounded metal ring around the bathroom sink. The spark left a permanent mark on the sink. I never said anything about it and fortunately no one else said anything if they noticed it.

While educational and in the case of the wire across the room useful, I doubt an inspector or my parents would of been very happy had they realized the extent of some of my electrical experiments.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 12:41:39 PM »

...did the inspector have alcohol on his breath when he inspected?
If it was an X10 wall switch, the inspector probably didn't realize it could be sent a dimming command. On the other hand, had it been actually a conventional dimming switch that he overlooked, then I would support either "alcohol on his breath" or the "money under the table" theory.

Yup I agree. I hope Gil gets my point that he can't assume that the X10 dimmer can be counted on to fail in some kind of a "safe" mode i.e full ON or full OFF (this might be a safe assumption if a vacuum cleaner, is plugged into the outlet). Instead, an inductive or switch-mode device plugged into the outlet may fail in a disasterous manner(i.e. max flame).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 01:09:35 AM »

Good Evening,

You are correct the 2002, 2005 and 2008 National Electrical Code forbids dimming split outlets in section 404.14.  However I could not find it in the 1993 NEC (I do not have all of them).  I contacted the inspector and asked what code they use.  They use the state Residential Code which does not prohibit dimming.  Consequently what I have is legal and to code in this state.

On a side note the inspector is an honest man and does not drink, so I do not know where you got that from.  Maybe you can buy them off where you live but here it gets you time.

I did a bit of research and there is a lot about that particular section of code, promoted by Lutron.  A bit of further research shows they have a patent on there system consequently there will not be another brand that is interchangeable.  They also got the UL approval and limited to only there dimmer.  Hmmmm I wonder why?

Any idea how 404.14 became part of the code and who promoted it? 

As far as plugging in laptops, little bricks etc they may or may not work.  If they are UL or CSA approved (they should be) there will be no fire or anything like that although they may get hot and blow there thermal protection. 

It is important to also check local regulations as well.  A lot of communities do not subscribe to the NEC, some are much more stringent some are more lenient but that varies by section.

Have Fun
Gil Shultz
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.