Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 bulbs failed in quick succession - rapid flashing - lamp module - wall outlet  (Read 20444 times)

dash

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

2 bulbs have failed in quick succession - rapid flashing then fail

The bulbs are 40W incandescent.

I've never seen a bulb fail like this before

Do you think these failures have been caused by the lamp module?

Any thoughts?

Dave  ???
Automation is great - but really frustrating when it doesn't work as expected !!

Boiler

Any thoughts?

Dave,
What you've described is definitely not normal and I haven't seen this happen with a "normal" incandescent.

A 40 watt bulb is at the low end of the "recommended" load for lamp modules but it should work.

A number of questions:
  • What type of lamp module are you using (LM465, PLM01, PLM03, other)?
  • Could you provide a date code from the lamp module (round sticker on the back)?
  • Are the bulbs true 40 watt incandescent, a smart bulb (I believe phillips makes a series of IQ bulbs with "smart" features), or an energy saving 40W equivalent?

Boiler

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX

Any thoughts?

Dave  ???

dave:
In addition to Boiler's questions, does the lamp fixture in which you're using these bulbs have any sort of built-in dimmer, e.g., a dimming knob on the socket or a rotary line cord switch with off/dim/normal/off operation?

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

dash

Thanks for your replies...

The module is a LM12 (UK) lamp module for wall outlet.

Code on sticker is 06E21

Bulbs used/failed are true incandescent (just basic filament bulbs)

No in-line dimmer - just a cable direct to light fitting with in-line on/off switch.

Looking forward to your comments....

Dave
Automation is great - but really frustrating when it doesn't work as expected !!

Boiler

Code on sticker is 06E21

No in-line dimmer - just a cable direct to light fitting with in-line on/off switch.

Dave,
I'm sorry but I'm a bit out of my league here.  I'm not familiar with the LM12 or the UK 230V 50Hz standard.

A couple more questions (maybe others can help):
  • Is your LM12 a new unit (it was manufactured in 2006)?  Do you have any other LM12's that work properly in your installation?
  • Do you have any other LM12's that work properly in your installation (or any other X10 modules)?

Based on the information you've give so far I'd say you have a "bad" lamp module (appears to be oscillating with the load you have installed).  Take this with a very large grain of salt.  I've never used a LM12 nor do I have experience with your (UK) power system. 

Keep feeding us info and we'll try to find someone with relevant experience.

Boiler

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX

Code on sticker is 06E21

Dave

According to Marmitek's web page:
  http://www.marmitek.com/en/catalogus/product.php?subgroep=6&product=52
the LM12 appears to be the 230V, 50Hz functional equivalent of the US model LM465 (original design) plug-in Lamp Module.

Marmitek's FAQ for the LM12 has this:
------------------------
Product: LM12 Lamp/Dimmer Module Art. nr. 08910
Question: The lamp starts to flicker and cannot be controlled anymore, unless I take the module out of the wall socket and then insert it again. What do I need to check?
Answer:
Check whether the load is high enough (min. 40W). Halogen lighting cannot also be connected to the module. Use a normal light bulb. If the problem persists, then the device may be faulty.
------------------------

I think they are mistaken about the minimum wattage - modules that have connections to both line and neutral don't require a minimum. (A 4 Watt night light I have currently plugged into a LM465 switches and dims normally.)  I can therefore only conclude that you have a defective LM12.

It's possible the frequency of the flicker coincides with a mechanical resonant frequency of the filament in the bulb, causing the short life.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

dash

The 'third' bulb (still a 40W incandescent) has been illuminating OK for a week now.

I'll continue monitoring. If this one fails I'll try a 60W bulb and program the AH software to dim it down to the required level.

Thanks for all your comments...

Dave

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4

Good Evening,

I cannot conceive of any of the devices you mention causing premature lamp failure.  Every time you turn on a lamp you stress it but not to the breaking point.

Tungsten Filament lamps have an average life.  This is based on several lots of lamps.  Most but not all bulbs arrive in perfect condition.  I would recommend trying bulbs from another lot and or another manufacturer.  Bulbs are very sensitive to vibration and inrush currents.  If the line voltage is within tolerance inrush will not be a problem unless they are being operated below -40C.

Good Luck
Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.