Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Keep them outside - better than a sign  (Read 103369 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Keep them outside - better than a sign
« on: September 04, 2007, 02:46:21 PM »

I just created/installed a perimiter motion detection system with a (inside and) OUTSIDE voice warning. Nightime visitors to my backyard will be greeted with a voice announcement saying: "Warning. Activity has been detected in the backyard. This is a restricted area. Leave now. Activity will be off-site video monitored. The nightvision camera is on".

Recently thanks to a great post from RCaddict's about his DIY MP3 powered replacement for a RoboDog. And a little good natured ribbing from TTA and dave w, Dave shared with me his (former) use of a perimiter detection and voice warning system.

Everyone that reads the forums regularly knows I am not only a big X10 fan... I am a big fan of BVC. Well I already had Kate (via BVC) telling me when there was activity in the backyard. That was easy enough to do using a BVC] listener. When BVC would hear the X10 signal (that turns ON the the camera system that monitors the backyard) Kate would announce "Activity has been detected in the backyard".

All I had to do, was (run some wire) and put an adapter on the appliance module that turns on the night-vision camera, then I plugged in an amplified speaker (a setup like the two speakers on a PC). I then ran a right speaker wire to the eve of my home in the backyard.

Having a voice warning inside was nice. Having the would be bad guys warned outside by voice..... better than a yard sign.

There has to be other ideas for stopping intruders BEFORE they break a door or window.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:48:57 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Keep them outside - better than a sign
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 07:35:47 PM »

Hmm...  You're telling them you have A night vision camera - which may give them an idea of what to steal.  :)

Maybe better to say: "You are now being recorded by night vision cameraS".

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 09:37:25 PM »

Thanks Charles!
I was hoping (with this thread) to get other users to post their ideas of how to deter thief's, vandales, and intruders from there homes BEFORE they broke down a door and tripped the alarm.

There has got to be a better way to keep them outside.... than just an alarm sign.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 09:47:36 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:58:11 PM »

Good topic Dave.

I personally like to stick with lights; outside ones when someone is near the doors & inside ones when motion is detected near low level windows. Hopefully they move on and look for a less risky place.

The addition of an outside voice is a cool idea, but I know the kids in my neighbourhood would only have to hear it once before they start triggering it on purpose. And with all the stray cats around here, it would be talking all the time.

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 10:43:04 PM »

The addition of an outside voice is a cool idea, but I know the kids in my neighbourhood would only have to hear it once before they start triggering it on purpose. And with all the stray cats around here, it would be talking all the time.

Good point Puck! I get a cat or raccoon now... from time to time... not too often. I have also thought about a similar setup with door/window magnet switches and a powerflash module on the storm doors.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:48:28 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Boiler

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 10:48:20 PM »

I personally like to stick with lights; outside ones when someone is near the doors & inside ones when motion is detected near low level windows. Hopefully they move on and look for a less risky place.

Dave,

Like Puck I prefer to use the passive light approach.  I use a combination of PR511's and outdoor sensors in "zones".  Activate zone1 and you get a certain response.  Activate 2 zones and the response is increased.

I also have "close" sensors that trigger a higher level of response (location dependent). 

To be honest, I only view cameras as being useful in court cases after the damage is done.  The threat of a camera is completely different.  This could seriously affect certain body functions in a juvenile who is "just having fun".

Unfortunately, if you're dealing with a "professional" who truly wants to get into your house, I don't think there is much you can do.  They can simply count family members, watch departure times and then gain entry (through a wall if need be).  The best defense is good neighbors that know your schedule and question any activity when you're not at home.

At the same time, I don't discount the fun factor (and you are obviously having fun).  If this kind of fun isn't illegal in Indiana, it is certainly Taxable.

One last comment - I read where "Kates'" voice resembled " the character "Seven of Nine".  You really should reconsider - are you trying to draw a crowd?  You could try Clint Eastwood, Schwarzenegger, or my 5th grade math teacher (she always scared the crap out of me).

On second thought, that could be a bad idea.  You probably don't want burned areas on your lawn from excess urea.

Boiler

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 08:03:28 PM »

At the same time, I don't discount the fun factor (and you are obviously having fun).  If this kind of fun isn't illegal in Indiana, it is certainly Taxable.

One last comment - I read where "Kate's" voice resembled " the character "Seven of Nine".  You really should reconsider - are you trying to draw a crowd? 

You are certainly right about the "fun factor"! BVC with Kate rates very high on the fun factor scale. Like you and Puck I also use a progressive lighting setup (and I am a big believer in that). I don't live in a crime area.... or own anything that would attract a real professional thief.

However.... besides lighting and a alarm sign in the yard... I just feel there has to be other deterrents yet to be discovered. I am hoping I will find some on this thread.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 08:05:26 PM by Dave_x10_L »

orion523

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 01:41:01 PM »

Thanks Charles!
I was hoping (with this thread) to get other users to post their ideas of how to deter thief's, vandales, and intruders from there homes BEFORE they broke down a door and tripped the alarm.

There has got to be a better way to keep them outside.... than just an alarm sign.

I had a friend who wired his sprinklers to a motion sensor.  Great for getting ridding of thieves quickly.  Great for finding them too.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 01:54:39 PM »

...I just feel there has to be other deterrents yet to be discovered. I am hoping I will find some on this thread.
How about triggering a sprinkler system?
Unexpected water, particularly in the winter, can be a real deterrent for unwanted animals even the human ones.

[orion523: It looks like you beat me with this idea while I was typing.  :)]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 01:56:50 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 10:07:21 PM »

I did setup BVC with a [activity detected] voice announcement. Check out my YouTube video from my Site (you can view it there without joining YouTube. The "backyard" part of the video is near the end.

I spray-painted a tiny speaker to match my house color, and hardwired it to under the eve, in my back yard. It is triggered by an X10 floodlight. I really like the effect, and think it would be effective at the same time. I think it's better than a sign.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:38:52 AM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 03:16:01 PM »

Today I am working on a new project to keep potential intruders outside.

I have an attached garage, it has two regular doors a well as the overhead door. One door enters into the house, the other exits to the backyard. This is a comman setup, and a favorite of burglars. The outside door is often poorly maintained, has glass for light, and a cheap lock. Entry though this door into the garage allows thieves access to the home entry door, out-of-sight from neighbors. I secured my door with an inside hasp, and padlock.

Even if breaking down the home entry door (from inside the garage) trips a home security alarm... and even if the intruder immediately leaves. I would still be stuck with two damaged doors.

I wired a switch into the frame of my garage-to-backyard door. If the door is open - the contacts open. Door closes - contacts close. I have storm doors on all my outside doors (none with bars or anything... I just live in a cold climate). I am wiring the storm door storm door the opposite. Storm door opens - contacts close. the two switches will be connected so if the storm door is opened while the hasp-ed door is closed a connection will be made. This will be wired directly to a wal-wart and a siren. Anyone checking out the backyard garage entry, day or night, alarm system armed or not, will get a surprise.

What I really like about the setup, is its automatic. Nothing needs to set, and no damage is required to trigger it.

Now I am thinking..... if I use macro's, timers, and/or interior motion sensors I should be able to configure something similar for my other backdoor.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 04:37:03 PM »

...I wired a switch into the frame of my garage-to-backyard door. If the door is open - the contacts open. Door closes - contacts close. I have storm doors on all my outside doors (none with bars or anything... I just live in a cold climate). I am wiring the storm door storm door the opposite. Storm door opens - contacts close. the two switches will be connected so if the storm door is opened while the hasp-ed door is closed a connection will be made. This will be wired directly to a wal-wart and a siren. Anyone checking out the backyard garage entry, day or night, alarm system armed or not, will get a surprise.

What I really like about the setup, is its automatic. Nothing needs to set, and no damage is required to trigger it....
Clever idea! When can we come by and do a break in test.  ;)
To use the door as an emergency exit, I'd recommend having a padlock key near the inside of the door but out of reach from outside.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

spam4us

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 12:33:26 AM »

I haven't tested this but here's a thought..............

Use a DS10As to monitor the doors thru AHP/Cm15a.  Just register the particular DS10a with On Alert (it doesn't need to be registered to the DS7000).  When the door is opened the DS10A can run a macro to set the siren off and do whatever else you want to do.

IF you have a V572Rf32 (I think that's the model no), the V572 can convert a particular DS10A signal to it's own powerline house/unit code which you could then use to trigger a macro as well.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 12:48:43 AM »

IF you have a V572Rf32 (I think that's the model no), the V572 can convert a particular DS10A signal to it's own powerline house/unit code which you could then use to trigger a macro as well.

The only thing that concerns me about this device is that if you convert all your AHP security macros to execute off of regular X10 addresses, the chances of false alarms will increase.... especially if you have neighbours who use X10.

At least with the standard 32-Bit X10 security codes, there is only a 1 (x number of units) in 64K chance of a neighbour having the same code.

spam4us

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 01:57:52 AM »

The only thing that concerns me about this device is that if you convert all your AHP security macros to execute off of regular X10 addresses, the chances of false alarms will increase.... especially if you have neighbours who use X10.

Only if you transceive the X10 housecode to the one you assigned to the DS10As.  Otherwise the signal would have to come thru the powerline.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.