Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: COM ports "invalid"  (Read 15214 times)

Charlie__

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
COM ports "invalid"
« on: September 05, 2007, 07:50:51 AM »

I have had a CM11A up and running well for several years. This week, for the first time in over a year, I tried to change one of my timers. The 1.42 ActiveHome software will no longer find a "valid" COM port. Why? How can I fix this?

I have verified the serial COM port both card and drivers (uninstall, reinstall). I have reinstalled a fresh copy of AH 1.42. I have changed the batteries in the CM11A. I have reseated the wiring. I have tried to change to a different COM port known to be good. Nothing (yet) has worked; 1.42 still says no valid COMs are available.

My computer has Windows 2000 Pro kept automatically at the latest levels.

I'm guessing that one of the Windows 2000 updates somehow did something that the 1.42 software doesn't like. But what? What can I do about this?

The CM11A continues to partially work with its contained program, but has lost part of it. This is probably because of my unplugging and changing the batteries. Since I can't get to the CM11A because of the COM port problem, I can't fix the uploaded program.

My house is all messed up. Back to manual, until I get some help. Bah.

Should I bite the dollar bullet and go for a new USB-connected unit?

Thanks for your help.

Charlie

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: COM ports "invalid"
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 10:08:59 AM »

Not sure why you're having problems with the CM11A but the CM15A has a lot more features than the CM11A. If you like control options, the CM15A is the way to go.

BTW.. The CM11A doesn't play well (i.e. reliably work with the COM ports) of Windows XP. I suspect it would have problems with Vista also but haven't heard of anyone trying it yet.

An update to your Windows 2000 might of put you in the same boat as XP users trying to use the CM11A interface.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 09:07:11 PM »

Should I bite the dollar bullet and go for a new USB-connected unit?

Yep. I never really liked the CM11. But life wouldn't be the same without my CM15A!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 11:26:53 PM »

I would suggest that the OP put the crowbar in his wallet and spend the $49.99 to get Active Home Pro and the CM15A (USB) interface.

Don't get rid of those .x10 files that Active Home creates, they contain all the modules, timers and any macros.  AHP will import them and you lose nothing from AH.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.