Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Author Topic: BXVC (Bill's X10 Voice Commander) (JScript version)  (Read 328130 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: BXVC (Bill's X10 Voice Commander) (JScript version)
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2006, 10:19:04 PM »

Dave, I don't have the VCR Commander to play with, but can't you just say "Veiw Screen off" ?

No....not with the VCR commander, that wasn't well thought out (by me).

So... I RE-thought... and connected an appliance module to my monitor (set the screensaver to the "starfield") and named it "viewscreen".
Now I can leave my office with "everything" (a macro for all the office lights, and the monitor named: viewscreen) off while I am away.

Now when I enter I ask the computer to turn lights on, and then command the "viewscreen" to be activated.

(and I don't have to clap twice)

Home Automation is an always changing technology

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2006, 04:38:06 AM »

Bill, If you need a ninja to play with when you get ready PM me with your address and I will send you one. Not sure if the software would be need though? It would have a palmpad remote with it though. :D
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2006, 03:52:05 PM »

Bill, If you need a ninja to play with when you get ready PM me with your address and I will send you one. Not sure if the software would be need though? It would have a palmpad remote with it though. :D

Thanks for the offer KDR.   8)  I'll keep that in mind.  I still have a fair bit of work to do on other stuff before I get around to the camera stuff though.  :(  When I do get to it, I'll probably just start out by sending you my "attempts" for you to try out.   ;)

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2006, 06:18:56 PM »

I've been experimenting with BXVC the last couple of days and it works great.  I'm using the BXVC software along with AHP to controll lights, appliances, etc. through the microphone and speakers attached to my computer.  My real interest was to see how well BXVC worked with AHP and then to look at how to integrate "wireless" microphones/speakers into my environment.  I've read several posts, on this forum, concerning the use of "wireless" microphone/speakers to control x10 devices.  So I learned enough just to be dangerous!!!!

Now my question.  Has anyone, experimented with wireless intercoms along with BXVC and AHP?  I've looked at a bunch of wireless intercoms and have found the Radio Shack
4-Channel 900MHz Wireless Intercom at http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=wireless%20intercom&origkw=wireless%20intercom.

Here is how I think it would work.  The Radio Shack intercom has a connection for an external device.  I would plug the cable from my PC sound card into the intercom.  That would be intercom (unit 1).  I would put another intercom (unit 2) next to my microphone that is attached to my PC.  Intercom (unit n) would be placed in various rooms.  BXVC commands can be directed through intercom (unit n).  Intercom (unit 2) will broadcast the command to my microphone that's attached to my PC.  BXVC and AHP would react to the command.  BXVC responses would be sent to intercom (unit n) through intercom (unit 1).

Hopefully, my explanation is clear enough that I can elicite some thoughts.  Or, if there are better alternatives ... I would like to hear them too.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

There are some shortcommings with this hardware but most are aesthetic.  I would like to have the intercom flush mounted on the wall.  Also, I would like to have the intercom be voice activated.     
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:02:00 PM by Don N »

HA Dave

« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2006, 07:09:36 PM »

Now my question.  Has anyone, experimented with wireless intercoms along with BXVC and AHP?  I've looked at a bunch of wireless intercoms and have found the Radio Shack
4-Channel 900MHz Wireless Intercom at http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=wireless%20intercom&origkw=wireless%20intercom.

Hopefully, my explanation is clear enough that I can elicite some coeliciton it's potential to work.  Or, if there are better alternatives ... I would like to hear them too.  Thanks in advance to your thoughts and suggestions.

There are some shortcommings with this hardware but most are aesthetic.  I would like to have the intercom flush mounted on the wall.  Also, I would like to have the intercom be voice activated.     

Well Don I am in! I could say I've thought a little about doing this.... or I could tell the truth and say I have laid awake nights thinking about how to do it!

I think your on the right track with intercoms. I was thinking "baby monitors", the prices are low.... several styles to choose from, and they are designed to "lay quite" and await sounds for long periods of time.

I was searching at the Walmart site just today:  http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4241545

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2006, 07:16:05 PM »

I use the 43-3102's every day for voice in Homeseer.

The monitor thingy was useless - its for a weather radio or something. I just connected a mini plug to the speaker on the receive unit and plugged that into LINE_IN (yes it matters) on the PC.  This gives you volume control over the input and it's correct adjustment is absolutly CRITICAL to good VR.

They won't all work at once, well the closest one to the "base" will - mostly. So, I opened 'em up and soldered a wire across the talk switch (easy) now when they come on they come on in "talk" mode. Put 'em on a quiet appliance module and have a macro to turn off the others as the one you are using turns on - and you're cooking. HAVING TO PRESS A BUTTON BEFORE YOU CAN TALK IS SILLY! (Why not use that button press to run a macro?)

The quality? With the notes above and many years of reading about these things, I believe mine works as well as anyones. No VR switching of songs while they are playing, even a loud TV can be a problem. Other people taliking in the room - forget about it.

HTH - YMMV

GLT

EDIT: Note my house is small - so no range problems. It should work as well or better than you computer microphone works. However I can get a good 10 feet w/ these in a quiet room  - and 5  in a noisy one. It is all in the volume in setting. Computer mics are designed to be used close up.

I use X-10's "soundpower" (and its cheap now)  and a couple of RS ceiling speakers for the "response" from the computer. The intercoms did not work well for this  (cut off words? been a while)- and even if they did you get back to that push to talk problem.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 07:43:39 PM by glt »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2006, 10:44:46 PM »

Haven't tried it, and it's probably not cheap, but I still like the idea of wearable bluetooth microphone / headset.  If you want the computer's audio output all around the house, there are several options out there for transmitting audio wirelessly.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

Don N

« Reply #202 on: November 29, 2006, 12:14:58 PM »

Bill -- I've looked at Bluetooth and it was going to be my first choice to experiment with.  It turns out to be a little cheaper than the intercom solution.  I just wasn't sure I wanted to wear a head set in order to communicate with BXVC.  Plus, it limits other people from using BXVC unless you have multiple head sets.

Dave X10 L --  I hadn't thought about baby monitors, although I'm not sure I want the imagine of "Fischer-Price" associated with my "sophisticated" house of the future!!!! (ha, ha).

glt -- Thanks for all the suggestions regarding the use of the Radio Shack (43-3102) intercom.  I like your idea about soldering a wire across the talk switch so that they come on in the "talk" mode.  I haven't purchased any of the intercoms yet so I don't know how easy it is to solder the wire.  I may ask for help later on if I purchase the intercoms.
EDIT: Note my house is small - so no range problems. It should work as well or better than you computer microphone works. However I can get a good 10 feet w/ these in a quiet room  - and 5  in a noisy one. It is all in the volume in setting. Computer mics are designed to be used close up.
I'm encouraged by the fact that you can be 5-10 feet from the intercom and it still works satisfactory.  And that you had no range problems within your house.

I use X-10's "soundpower" (and its cheap now)  and a couple of RS ceiling speakers for the "response" from the computer. The intercoms did not work well for this  (cut off words? been a while)- and even if they did you get back to that push to talk problem.
You mentioned earlier about soldering a wire across the talk switch ... didn't that eliminate the need to push to talk problem?  Also, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being the worst) how bad was the cutting off words?  Could adjusting the speech rate within BXVC help (assuming you were using BXCV)?

Thanks everybody for the ideas.  More thoughts are welcome.         

glt

« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2006, 02:35:36 PM »

"You mentioned earlier about soldering a wire across the talk switch ... didn't that eliminate the need to push to talk problem?  Also, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being the worst) how bad was the cutting off words?  Could adjusting the speech rate within BXVC help (assuming you were using BXCV)? "

The wire solder is EASY, just take off the cover and attach a wire to each end of the switch.

The intercom cannot "talk" and "listen" at the same time. So if you solder the wire then that intecom can no longer listen.

It's coming back...... The input on the intercom is signal activated, so when a signal comes on. it senses it , turns on the "talk" mode and sends to the other intercoms. That takes a few seconds.

My response to the attention phrase is "yes", and that would never come out. BTW an attention phrase is mandatory, otherwise events would occur all the time from the TV etc. HS has an attention phrase option (mine is "Wake up Michelle"), don't know if BXVC does or not. Both use the built it XP speech tools, so it should be easy to add.

Training is very important as is using line in for the voice input. If you use mic. in XP will constantly adjust the "gain" fouling everything up. Setting the volume control on the listening intercom to the best level for recognition is also critical.

See the good reviews of that intercom on th RS site - seems people with very large houses like them. When I record my input with the XP sound recorder I am amazed at the clarity. Better than a 900MHZ phone.

GLT

HA Dave

« Reply #204 on: November 29, 2006, 06:30:47 PM »

When I record my input with the XP sound recorder I am amazed at the clarity. Better than a 900MHZ phone.

I did a little experiment with those little hand-held CB radios tonight. It didn't go well. I think GLT has a good point about CLARITY.

Though it may be easy enough to get "sound" to the PC it will/does need to be a similar representation to the mic that it works with now. Apparently GLT has found a good solution. I am glad to know there is a solution out there.

However... I am going to try (as another test) adding an additional mic in a 2nd area, next. In doing my little (CB Radio) test, I was reminded of just how well the computer mic works.... even in a low voice, from several feet away. I will let you know how that goes.

Don N

« Reply #205 on: November 29, 2006, 07:12:51 PM »

Yes, I still think the Radio Shack intercoms have some merit.  I've read some reviews on the Radio Shack website concerning the clarity and range of the 43-3102's.  I think my setup that I described earlier will work.  GLT has validated part of my ideas in his discussions.  I still haven't purchased any of the intercoms.  I might get a chance to swing by Radio Shack this weekend.

HA Dave

« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2006, 07:44:10 PM »

Don H

I just tried two microphones plugged into the computer at the same time. I used an adapter to get the two inputs. I used a 20 foot stereo extention cord (same as for power extention on my wireless Xcam) and ran a mic into the next room.

It worked, but not as reliability as one mic, one room. I really think you and GLT have the right idea.

I will still have to fish some wire, as I do want to hear the computer voice and wav files.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2006, 08:00:53 PM »

I haven't experimented with anything yet, but what I'd like to do is use microphones connected to my other PCs on my LAN.

Did a quick search and found this program: MyPhone 0.2b12 Might play with it this weekend to see how it works.

There has to be a way to transmit your voice from other PC's mics to the one with BXVC.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #208 on: November 29, 2006, 11:06:11 PM »

glt,

Yes, BXVC requires an attention phrase for most commands.  There are also verbal commands to mute / unmute the microphone.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

glt

« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2006, 08:51:14 AM »

Good to hear....

Note I did my XP voice "training" using the intercoms - best to train with what you are going to use.

There are more elegant solutions - like an AP800(?) mic mixer and expensive in wall/ceiling mics. But as I've said, I've read a lot on this subject and I don't think they are any better than this solution. If you get a clear voice signal to the computer - that is the best you can do.

BTW RS is great on returns, and they are clearly great intercoms. So what's to lose?

As to x-10's "soundpower" - mine has been in the (hot Florida) attic for about 4 years w/ no problems. BUT... they are 2.4 GHZ - guess what happens when you turn on the microwave?

BRRRAPPPPPP.....

Solved by a CR Magnetics power sensor, a powerflash (or is it a universal) module, and by putting the soundpower on a applliance module. Confused yet?

( http://www.crmagnetics.com/newprod/search_result.asp?CATEGORY=ALL&PRODUCT_ID=CR3110-3000 )

Wired is always better than wireless - IF YOU CAN. (I can't.)

Sound output is really bigger to me than voice input. Although I do have to ask "Michelle" for the latest weather, stocks of interest and the ever skewed news. And of course bathroom guests are subjected to my idea of appropriate music. (Well, its better than "body" music.) (Powered by the lowly x10 "ActiveEye", as are most things in my house.)

I use AT&T's voices for all verbal responses, TTS, etc. Don't think you can buy them anymore. Bill may have some ideas or search here for alternatives: http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=653

And finally, real home automation geeks don't take voice seriously. I mean with the proper combination of occupany sensors, timers and macros, temperature sensors etc., what do you need to talk to the computer for?

To me, its just fun.

GLT

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 08:57:37 AM by glt »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.