Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Activehome pro won't control anything in only one room  (Read 9154 times)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: Activehome pro won't control anything in only one room
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 07:31:22 AM »

...I have noise filters on all TV's, etc. also so I don't think that is it. I get 0 signal response on my signal meter in that room but every other room is fine...

As Charles Sullivan already stated, it appears that you have a 'Signal Sucker' and/or 'Noise Generator' on that Circuit, not necessarily in that Room.

...I am stumped. Any ideas?

Begin here (QUOTING from one of my *MANY* TakeTheActive-to-Newbie replies in the Archives):

Without a proper foundation in X10 knowledge and a logical plan-of-action, successfully troubleshooting and solving an X10 problem is like hitting the bullseye on a dart board while throwing the darts BLINDFOLDED (*AFTER* someone randomly spun you around! :D ). But, if you've got money to burn... ::)

Rather than volley back-and-forth with 'Try this...', 'Didn't work? Well then, try this...', I prefer to get Newbies up to a 'known' knowledge level and then work from there.

For a solid foundation of X10 Operation, please start off by reading:

Then:
MAP / MEASURE / CORRECT - be sure to read the EXCELLENT articles written by JeffVolp and Puck

Finally, with your CIRCUIT MAP and SIGNAL METER in hand, finish up with:

As both Jeff Volp and I say:

I understand that most users don't want to hear this but

to have a reliable X10 System requires a substantial upfront investment in time and effort

To Get a Reliable X10 System (and I mean RELIABLE), One Has To Do Some Homework (courtesy of Jeff Volp)

You're at an advantage over many other X10 Members - you already own a Signal Meter. Now you need to make good use of it. ;)

Here's a "Quick-N-Easy" Starter Idea for you:

• 1.) IDENTIFY the breaker controlling "that Room" and switch it OFF.

• 2.) UNPLUG *EVERYTHING* controlled by that breaker. Then switch the breaker back ON.

• 3.) MEASURE the Signal Strength in one of the formerly "problem" outlets. What does it read?

- If FIRST PASS, If still ZERO, STOP (and we'll work on that problem first).
     - Else WRITE DOWN THE READING and continue.

• 4.) PLUG IN *ONE* of the devices that you unplugged in Step 2.

• 5.) GOTO Step 3.

What did you discover?

Have fun and keep us all updated with your progress! :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:20:53 AM by JeffVolp »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 07:52:46 AM »

It may be a signal sucker somewhere but my gosh it would be hard to troubleshoot...

No it isn't hard at all. See my previous post. You just need a plan.

...Is there a way to up the output of the CM15a maybe?

If you were trying to communicate with your wife and your children were screaming, would you scream louder, or would you ask the children to please settle down? ;)

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 09:32:03 AM »

...This is the master bedroom - I am sure it is on a different circuit than the other rooms...

...It also sounds as if most of your X10 devices are on the same phase with the exception of your problem room....

Until (unless?) you MAP out all of your Circuits, how can you know this? ???

OK to add to the weirdness... I have a spare 4826b coupler repeater that I took out because of the dimming issues and I plugged it in to test. Now I get sporatic usage of the LM465 - but absolutely no signal shows up on the signal meter! Sometimes it is working, sometimes it won't but even when it does respond there is 0 signal showing on the meter. Now I'm really stumped...

SEARCH the Archives, or read through JeffVolp's Excellent Tutorials, but individual modules have a variable minimum response threshold, as does the Elk ESM1, due to manufacturing tolerances. The Signal Strength in that room could be right on the verge.

...We're moving a bit fast here.  I'd really encourage you to analyze your system.  Determine which phase your CM15a and "problem room" are on.  You should be able to do this by inspection from your breaker panel (see below)...

...Again, try isolating your other circuits by popping breakers.  Try this with your CM15a on both phases.  Use your Elk signal meter to measure the level in your problem area VS other areas.  Doing this can same you money and additional complications.

I can't believe that I've been reading, replying and editing this thread for over TWO HOURS now (Yeah, I'm slow... :-[ ) but, drmiphesto, I certainly can sense your high level of frustration. :(

Are you ready to put down your shotgun yet?

You can keep guessing, or you can follow my "plan". The "plan" involves a SERIOUS investment of your time. But, once it's done, it's done. Send the wife and children out of the house for a few hours for a "Movie and a Pizza" and Map out all of your Circuits. THEN, you can begin to troubleshoot your problem.

BTW, I suggest REMOVING *ALL* amplifiers / couplers / repeaters during the initial Map. You need to see WHERE YOU ARE before you start "fixing"...

Wishing you success - it's Friday - hopefully, you have 2¼ days off to put your X10 problems to bed. :D

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 01:23:22 AM »

...Are you ready to put down your shotgun yet?

You can keep guessing, or you can follow my "plan". The "plan" involves a SERIOUS investment of your time. But, once it's done, it's done. Send the wife and children out of the house for a few hours for a "Movie and a Pizza" and Map out all of your Circuits. THEN, you can begin to troubleshoot your problem.

BTW, I suggest REMOVING *ALL* amplifiers / couplers / repeaters during the initial Map. You need to see WHERE YOU ARE before you start "fixing"...

Wishing you success - it's Friday - hopefully, you have 2¼ days off to put your X10 problems to bed. :D

The weekend (2¼ days) has passed. :(

After that FLURRY of posts on 09/20/2007 ::), I (and I'm sure many other LURKERs) are curious as to your current status. ???

drmiphesto, What did you discover?
How about an update?

???

Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.