Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Timer function won't control wall switch module  (Read 23190 times)

1charliemartin1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Timer function won't control wall switch module
« on: September 24, 2007, 05:06:02 PM »

I am using a CM15A  to control a WS467 Wall Switch Module. I can control it from the PC screen, but it won't work if I put it in a timer program. The PC screen shows that it came on, but the actual light didn't. I also tied using a Macro with the same results.

I can control a LM465 Lamp Module in the timer mode.

Any Ideas??
Charlie

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Timer function won't control wall switch module
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 06:32:28 PM »

First question: did you download the timer to the interface (CM15A)?

1charliemartin1

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 11:43:51 AM »

I used  (TOOLS-Download Timers & Macros) to download the timer to the interface.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 12:41:17 PM »

I used  (TOOLS-Download Timers & Macros) to download the timer to the interface.

Ok, thanks for the update. I guess the next thing to make sure is that the "Store in Interface" is selected in the Timer menu. Also try the "Repeat" function to see if it helps.

Here are a couple of references from the Knowledge Base:

Advanced Layout and Repeat

Timers Not Working In Activehome Pro

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 12:51:53 PM »

You probably have one of the "new and improved"  WS467 Wall Switches.  These won't work with downloaded simple timers.

To verify, program your module as a LM14A.  Then move the brightness slider on the LM14A icon up and down.  If the lamp controlled by the module responds and changes brightness accordingly, it's one of these new modules.

If so, you can either complain to X-10 and (probably) have it replaced, or can use this workaround:
Reprogram your timer as a On macro and an Off macro controlled by a timer.
In Tools > Preferences > Macro, check the box "Use On instead of brighten 100%".
Download your schedule to the interface as you did previously.

You can alternatively program your module as a LM14A, but its status won't be updated in the AHP GUI (presuming that's important to your use).

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

1charliemartin1

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 07:57:51 PM »

Thank You Charles.  Both of these techniques worked. 

Could you give me a more detailed explanation of what ""Use On instead of brighten 100%". does.

Charlie

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 09:34:38 PM »

Could you give me a more detailed explanation of what ""Use On instead of brighten 100%". does.

The X10 protocol includes (among other signals)  On, Off, Brighten, and Dim.  An X10 dimmer module can be in the states Off, On, or Dimmed (to some brightness level).

X-10's older lamp modules and dimmer switches do not respond to an On signal when they are in a Dimmed state, even if fully dimmed to darkness (but not actually Off).  To drive the module to full brightness it has to be sent a Brighten signal.  So for simplicity AHP originally used only the Brighten 100% signal to turn on lamp modules and dimmers, which would work regardless of whether the module was Off or Dimmed.  The check box to use On instead of Brighten 100% for macros was added in one of the early AHP upgrades, but I can't remember the rationale for it at the time.  It was never applied to simple timers, which continue to use the Brighten 100%.

Now step ahead a couple of years.  The obsolescence of some electrical components forced a hardware redesign of many X-10 modules, and X-10 decided to add additional (and very nice) new features to the firmware while they were at it.  Unfortunately there is a flaw in the redesign for the WS467 Wall Switch which makes it incompatible with the original module - it can't be turned On from the Off state by a Dim or Brighten signal.  It remains to be seen whether X-10 will fix the WS467 flaw, revert to the original firmware functionality, modify AHP to cope, or do nothing.  (Interestingly, the redesigned LM465 Lamp Module includes the new features but without the above flaw.)

Have I answered your question?

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

1charliemartin1

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 02:50:38 AM »

Yes, Thank You.

drakethib

From a Noob
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 08:49:15 PM »

I am an X-10 noob and this is my first post. I am having the exact same problem so maybe this will help.

What is weird the AHP will turn off the light with the timer   ???
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 09:09:24 PM by drakethib »

DaveH

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 11:49:59 AM »

New member here. Sorry to drag up an old post, but I thought I would update with my experience. I was having a similiar experience as drakethib in that programming a timer to activate a wall switch module would turn the module off, but not on (using the control module and AHP....all manual and remote controls did work).  As Charles Sullivan suggested in this thread, I put together macros and assigned timers to these....it worked! The only initial problem I had was that I inadvertently gave it a 99% bright command, and it didn't like that. Once I had that squared away, all was well. I was about to pull my hair out, so thanks Charles!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.