Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "X10 is going out of business" (source "Make:" magazine Issue 30)  (Read 29234 times)

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
Re: "X10 is going out of business" (source "Make:" magazine Issue 30)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 10:20:29 PM »

So, OP - does it say where these Dirt Cheap X10 products are? 

Last I checked, the prices of modules have gone up......
>!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 06:31:06 AM »

If you can even find some modules at any price.
One of the independent X10 dealers has two web pages of 39, X10 devices they where told are "Discontinued" and corporate phone numbers to voice your displeasure to X10 and X10Pro.

Paul.Ivancie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »

I have been a loyal X10 user for thirty years, having purchased close to a thousand dollars worth of modules (for myself and others) over the years.
Recently, my stock of spares has been hard hit, as I have encouraged some friends to start using home automation, giving or lending them some start-up modules.
I gave my elder son a complete starter kit for his brand-new home, including my spare CM15a, transceivers, phase coupler, and various lighting and appliance modules.
Within a short time, my CM15a bit the dust (I haven't totally given up on it. I will try to troubleshoot the circuitry when I get the time.)
I dug out my old trusty rusty CM11, and am limping along with it at the present time.
Yesterday, I promised a friend my last two PR511 floodlight fixtures, and now I see that they have been dropped too.
I am seriously considering switching to Insteon, since, at least for now, they claim compatibility with X10.
Their software, compared to HD Pro, appears to be a throwback to the line commands of DOS 1.0!
Arrrrgh!
Paul T. Ivancie
paul.ivancie@sbcglobal.net
301-866-0052

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 12:41:06 PM »

Many here know I have been working hard to keep X10 a viable automation system.  Perhaps the worst problem we have today was the CM15A being discontinued.

A number of my customers have switched to PC-based automation systems using programs like HomeVision, XTension (on the Mac), and Home Control Assistant (HCA).  The last time I checked there was a free version of HCA available that supported just X10.

The PC-based programs can interface to the powerline through your CM11A, CM15A, or some third party products (including my XTB-232).

I think X10 still has life left in it.  I have a rather large X10 installation myself, and have no intent to switch to anything else.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 01:50:18 PM »

This program supports X10 if you have a CM11A and Insteon. It is freeware.
http://www.madreporite.com/deus.htm

An X10 Automation dealer still has many CM11As made from a special production run by X10.

http://www.thex10shop.com/product/x10-genuine-cm11a-activehome-serial-computer-interface
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:36:47 PM by Brian H »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.