Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: replacement paddle covers  (Read 3465 times)

mike S

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
replacement paddle covers
« on: September 27, 2007, 10:22:20 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if there are any aftermarket switch covers that work better than the included x10 style. The Foux paddle covers included in the switches confuse many guests, and my wife. It seems that it would be better if there were only one large button that looks like a large button. Because the paddle covers look like decora style switches, people naturally try to use them like that; and that causes problems.

So does any one make a replacement cover that has a better feel?

Thank you,
Mike
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:28:36 AM by mike S »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: replacement paddle covers
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:42:46 AM »

What X10 switch are you talking about?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

mike S

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:10:06 AM »

WS12A.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 11:58:53 AM »

Of course,  sorry brain wasn't turned on.

The WS12 Decora style X10 switch works only on the bottom of the paddle because they use a WS467 style switch (which does use one center located button) and cover the button with the paddle. Pressing the bottom of the paddle forces a concelled button press. No other paddles are available which changes that action. You might try Smarthome.com(?). Their paddles may work as a Decora style rocker.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 06:26:46 PM »

Of course,  sorry brain wasn't turned on.

The WS12 Decora style X10 switch works only on the bottom of the paddle because they use a WS467 style switch (which does use one center located button) and cover the button with the paddle. Pressing the bottom of the paddle forces a concelled button press. No other paddles are available which changes that action. You might try Smarthome.com(?). Their paddles may work as a Decora style rocker.

What I found interesting was that the Decora style X10 switches are momentary action on the bottom of the switch.  For some arbitrary reason I thought they'd be on the top.  Then I noticed the momentary action Leviton Decora switches (for disposals)  in Lowes and they were bottom action also.  So I guess there's some precedence for what X10 is doing.  When I modified a $2.98 Leviton Decora switch to momentary action as a homemade XPSS I made it bottom action also.  So far my family hasn't commented on all the mixed paddle action in the six Decora type switches I put in to replace more traditional regular and X10 ones.  They've simply used them. They include a non-X10 ON/OFF switch, 3 XPS3 and the homemade XPSS.  How I modified the Leviton for momentary action will be part of a more detailed post on the fine points of using 3 way X10 switches coming soon.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 07:53:01 PM »

Because the paddle covers look like decora style switches, people naturally try to use them like that; and that causes problems.

Push a wall switch to turn a light on!!  :o
Didn't think people still did that in the 21st century.  :P

Get ActiveHome Pro and some motion sensors.  ;)  ;D  :D

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.