Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Timers  (Read 4235 times)

secureman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Timers
« on: November 09, 2007, 09:19:21 PM »

I can turn on and off all Lamp Modules and Switch modules with my computer connected to the CM15A. When I set up timers some lights will work correctly while others do not. If this was a phase issue would the lights work with the computer? Any suggestions.

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: Timers
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 10:24:55 PM »

It could be a phase issue.. One thing you could try is setting a macro for the timed events instead of just timing the modules. Also try to recreate your file from scratch.. i.e start over with a new file and save and dl to the cm15a after you clear the memory.
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 11:21:34 PM »

I can turn on and off all Lamp Modules and Switch modules with my computer connected to the CM15A. When I set up timers some lights will work correctly while others do not. If this was a phase issue would the lights work with the computer? Any suggestions.

Does your timer setup end up trying to send commands to multiple X10 module addresses at about the same time?
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 11:43:43 PM »

Does your timer setup end up trying to send commands to multiple X10 module addresses at about the same time?

Right Bill. I haven't seen the "magic pixie dust" (delay between PLC events) explained for awhile. A sec delay between the ON signals can make a HUGE difference. Or your timers could just be in error.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 12:01:00 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Boiler

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 12:10:50 AM »

secureman,

You may be the lucky recipient of some of X10's "new and improved" modules.  These units have many new features, however they do not interface to AHP nicely.  They can also have specific problems with Timers.

You didn't mention what modules you are using.  I'm assuming that the lamp module is a LM465.  What wall switch are you using?

We can usually determine whether the modules are new or old design from the date code sticker (small round sticker) on the module.  Suspect units were manufactured in January of '07 (sticker 07Axx).  Units manufactured after that date (07Bxx and later) are believed to be of the "new" design.

Charles Sullivan has done quite a bit of work documenting the differences in these units and has come up with methods for interfacing them.  Here's a few links-

New module timer problems: Timer function won't control wall switch module
New module test/AHP workarounds: Distinguishing New from Old WS467 or LM465 modules
WS467 comparison chart: Firmware Revisions and Module History

secureman

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 05:13:16 PM »

I am using the WS467, WS4777 and LM465 . I just recently received so I assume the latest greatest from X10?

Thanks

secureman

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 05:44:14 PM »

Bill,

I set timers (for testing) 1-5 minutes apart per module.

Thanks

secureman

Re: Timers Fix
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 10:57:19 PM »

The problem with the timers is definitely a X10 problem - not a phase problem. On the WS467 and WS4777 to set a timer you must first set the timer to trigger an appliance module with the same address as the light switch you want to come on. Then set your light to dim 2-5 seconds after that (if you want dimmed). The switch will then work as wanted. Maybe X10 will have a fix for this soon? :D

Boiler

Re: Timers Fix
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 11:13:57 PM »

The problem with the timers is definitely a X10 problem - not a phase problem. On the WS467 and WS4777 to set a timer you must first set the timer to trigger an appliance module with the same address as the light switch you want to come on. Then set your light to dim 2-5 seconds after that (if you want dimmed). The switch will then work as wanted. Maybe X10 will have a fix for this soon? :D

As you indicated, it sounds like you have one of the "new" WS467's.  These units have a documented flaw in that they will not turn on in response to a "bright" commands.  You are getting around this by using the appliance module interface that transmits "ON" commands.

Check the setting under the menu item "tools" - "preferences" - "macro options".  Make sure that the option "issue on in place of bright 100%" is checked.  This will allow the WS467 to turn on without the appliance module bypass that you've used.

This will not completely fix the interface.  The best fix that has been identified (by Charles Sullivan) is to use the LM14a appliance module interface.  Have a look at the links I provided earlier.  Charles has a nice write up on how to implement this.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.