Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Active Eye Mounting Height  (Read 6548 times)

spam4us

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Active Eye Mounting Height
« on: October 07, 2007, 11:31:26 PM »

I have a couple of general questions about Active Eye locations.

How high off the ground do you have your active eyes mounted?
How large of an area do you cover with one active eye?

Trying to find a trade off between mounting the Active Eyes high enough that vandals can't jump up and grab them or knock them out of range.  I have mine mounted about 9 feet off the ground at an angle pointing down.  At that height, part of the "beam" gets crossed from top to bottom and "aiming" them is a bit touchy.  It seems as if they loose their sensitivity somewhat.

I'd be interested in seeing or hearing how other members have theirs mounted.

Thanks

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Active Eye Mounting Height
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 11:08:46 AM »

I'd be interested in seeing or hearing how other members have theirs mounted.

Me too!

I live on a somewhat busy street (with more traffic as time goes by) including a bus route. This traffic has played havoc with my motion sensors of all brands and types. I have used motion sensors from X10, and other types and brands, in other areas of my property with NO problems. But, I have found no solution to the front traffic, as buses, garbage trucks, and delivery trucks continue to trigger any (and all) sensors I've tried.

One solution I have found for high traffic areas is putting an EagleEye Sensor between a stormdoor and door. The stormdoor shields the sensor from traffic and even by-passers, but turns on lights, when the stormdoor is opened. No one has to enter a dark home... or carry a remote. But as an alert to approaching people...... it's useless.

I still want a driveway alert and I am considering a magnetic probe (buried along the driveway) to detect an automobile (moving metal). Not a perfect solution.... NOR a cheap one. however, my last attempt at a front motion sensor..... was my last attempt.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

spam4us

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 12:05:07 PM »

Dave_x10_L,

How high off the ground and what angle do you have them pointing?  With mine being 9 feet high angled down (but not straight down) I have found that I need to be pretty close to trigger them.  The more of an angle, the closer you need to be to them. I have the opposite problem you do.  Mine do not trigger enough regardless of the angle. If I tilt them up (but not straight out), I loose the range and they do not pick me up.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 04:42:27 PM »

I have pointed an EagleEye straight down from about 10 feet (velcro'ed to the overhang above the door). I have screwed the EagleEye to a tree, pointed straight towards the front door (with traffic to it's back). I even made a contraption from a CD package, giving the sensor blinders, and I also tried pointing it up.

I have taped the transparent lens... and I also have disassembled the unit and used 3/8 heat shrink on the photosensor to give it a narrower field of vision.

spam4us

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 02:11:05 AM »

Does it act up all the time or does it settle down at night?  The reason I ask is that the roar of the traffic may be causing the glass in the storm door to vibrate enough that the sensor sees it as movement.......or.......could be that the sensor itself is vibrating.  If it triggers less at night, this might be your problem.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 06:32:19 AM »

I for one have not found the X10 motion sensors to be not reliable when used out side. I have several I use inside the house and they work great but outside I get too many false trips. I have tried all of the things that Dave tried and still get too many false trips. I, like Dave, ended up putting my front door sensor between the storm door and inside door.

I have found that many things outside trip my sensors. Things like; blowing trees and shrubs, chipmonks, squirrels, rabbits and deer. Mounting height did not seem to make much difference. I have had them mounted as high as 8 feet and as low as setting on the ground. At the 8 foot height I was getting a range of 10+ feet.

For outside use I have resorted to using a line of site IR sensor. The type that uses a transmitter/receiver on end and a reflector on the other. This takes a little imagination to conceal the transmitter ( I hide mine in a bird house). I have found this to be much more reliable.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 10:57:06 PM »

For outside use I have resorted to using a line of site IR sensor. The type that uses a transmitter/receiver on end and a reflector on the other. This takes a little imagination to conceal the transmitter ( I hide mine in a bird house). I have found this to be much more reliable.

JimC do you have a link for that????????

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 06:38:13 AM »

Dave,

I got the two that I have from Radio Shack many years ago. I just did a search of their site and did not see them. These units were typically used as an entrance indicator for doorways. They are designed for inside use so I had to do some weather proofing to use it outside. I had one in use at my old house for 5+ years with no problems.

About the only false triggers I get from these units is caused by very heavy rain or snow.

The below link is to a post I made last year describing one of the ways I used this device.

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=10699.msg60795#msg60795

_ _ ...  ..._ _

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 07:13:27 PM »

The below link is to a post I made last year describing one of the ways I used this device.

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=10699.msg60795#msg60795

Ahh Yes! I not only remember that post (from when you posted it)... I was inspired by it!! Like yourself, I am also using voice announcements. I am using the CM15A, BVC, and hardwired computer speakers. I have a YouTube video embedded at my website where you can see a couple voice announcements "in action".
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:02:15 AM by Dave_x10_L »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.