Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problem with range of signal?  (Read 5611 times)

Skeephreek

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Problem with range of signal?
« on: March 16, 2008, 02:30:44 PM »

Hi,

I just installed a passive coupler at my breaker box because I was initially having problems getting any module to work on a circuit other than what my CM15A is plugged into.  After installing the coupler, I still cannot get the signals to pass onto other circuits and control modules.  Is there a way to control the strength of the signal sent by the CM15A, or is there anything else I can do?  My house is 2700 sq. ft. and I was told that I don't need a coupler-repeater.  I've tried most every other circuit in my house and the signal is not passing to any other circuit.  Help!

Thanks,

- Cory

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Problem with range of signal?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:42:17 PM »

...I just installed a passive coupler at my breaker box...
...I was told that I don't need a coupler-repeater.  I've tried most every other circuit in my house and the signal is not passing to any other circuit....
...is there anything else I can do?...
The only way a coupler might reduce a signal would be if you bridged a signal sucker or noise source over to the other phase. Generally speaking you can't go wrong adding a basic coupler. A repeater couple can cause problems with the repeated signal. A real time boosting coupler on the other hand is a step up from a simple coupler.

Of the 3 main signal problems, your coupler should eliminate the phase one. Next to tackle are the noise makers and signal suckers. Best way to identify is to start unplugging things or flipping breakers off and see if the signal improves. If you find a problem, get an X10 filter for it. Common signal suckers include TVs, surge strips & UPSs, as well as all those battery chargers we have. i.e. Laptop, phone, etc.

While it may not be the most comforting news, you are not the first and certainly won't be the last to have this problem. If you search the forum you'll find many helpful suggestions that are way to numerous for me to sum up in just one post.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 12:00:21 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:54:21 AM »

I also think you now have to look for signal suckers and noise makers.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 11:38:45 AM »

I concur with the previous recomendations and would like to add a couple my own. 

Is your CM15A pluggled into a surge protected power strip of some kind?  That could be blocking the X10 signal.

In any event unplug the USB connection and move the CM15A to another branch circuit elsewhere in the house and use an RF remote such as a palm pad to try it there to see if a signal gets distributed.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 11:55:12 AM »

The troubleshooting series I wrote may be of some help:

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

You might want to read the section "Noise Generators, Signal Suckers, and Filters".

Our last house was about 2800 square feet, and we did need a repeater to get adequate signal to one of the wall switches.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:35:52 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »

...Is your CM15A plugged into a surge protected power strip of some kind?...
Perhaps ironically "What feeds it can kill it." Most people do leave their CM15A connected to their computer. While it is useful and helpful to keep your CM15A connected, the computer and the surge protector or UPS that it's plugged into often are the 1st signal sucker that one needs to deal with. I have my computer's UPS plugged into a filter and the CM15A plugged in separately to the wall through one of Jeff's boasters.

Do check out Jeff's link and products. He's one of our foremost authorities on getting the most from the X10 signals.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 12:25:07 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Skeephreek

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 12:50:54 PM »

My CM15A is not plugged into a powerstrip.  It is plugged into a wall outlet that has a power strip plugged into it though.  I initially thought this could be a problem, so I moved the CM15A into another room (using extension cord) and still had the same issue.  I tried moving the CM15A into three different rooms and still experienced the same thing: it could control modules on the same circuit, but couldn't jump to any other circuit.

I don't have any UPSs, just two LCD TVs in separate ends of my house.

Thanks for the link Jeff.  I'll look through it this evening.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 02:51:25 PM »

While we don't have one ourselves, there have been reports of LCD TVs corrupting X10 signals.  It might be a good idea to put them on X10 filters.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 04:41:38 PM »

While we don't have one ourselves, there have been reports of LCD TVs corrupting X10 signals.  It might be a good idea to put them on X10 filters.

Jeff

We just bought a HD LCD TV to replace our old analog TV and no interference with x10 has been observed.  Skeephreek may have other noise sources.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

zach1234

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 06:21:16 PM »

I found that sometimes relocating the modules work also. I don't have any line noise at this point of time. I am looking into a whole house filter and "bridge".

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.