Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yes it works...  (Read 8006 times)

Gilbert

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Yes it works...
« on: October 10, 2007, 02:30:55 AM »

To all folk here, angry against the X10 customer' service and all those scary stories...

I have a small house in Montreal, Quebec with about 10+ switches, lots of detectors, 10+ supersocket modules, a 24/7/365 running computer with a lot of software inside (remote, mailer, cams server, etc), AHP + all plugins, running XP Home edition, and adding day after day some extra's : UM506 to switch on my solar lights (solar panels on my roof, lamps within the flowers), some chime, some macros (thanks to you forum helpers) with some conditional conditions (chime when somebody come around in the day, light the porch when somebody come in the night...)
I have some cams (Anaconda), a Ninja (will change the position very soon) and I can access everything through myhouse.x10.com with no problem.

Right now, I have no filters, but RR501 transceivers and UR19a remotes to switch my lights on/off. My desk is full of computers and electronic devices and I have a wireless meteo station (so, I have a lot of wireless signals around my house)
[yes, I have a lava lamp too  ;D ].

I'll add next week a 20A/240V supersocket for my geothermal unit and I'm just waiting for a X10 powersupply (2700) to interface my Vista Alarm.
Ah yes, if I have my router down, it switches automatically off/on (thanks to x10ping monitor) the connection. If I have no power at all, my computer crashes after 30 minutes  :-\ (thanks to the batteries), but this is life  ;)

So, to any reader here : if you have logic, patience, enthousiasm and some child spirit (and a comprehensive spouse), X10 can be a real pleasure.
It's a pleasure (for me, not really for her) to dim my sleeping room,
It's nice to shut down my garage power source to avoid descramblers,
it's funny to receive an e-mail when somebody try to enter my garden, with a picture attached.

Forget the X10 official support team, buy your equipement to nice people and come here to find the right info. Enjoy !

Gilbert
Note : again, for my wife who read my posts : I love you because I know you know my passion for that funny stuff and I also know that you are really interested (but you don't like this weird sound when a relay is switching on...).

Second (but important) note :
I'm NOT related in any matter to X10, X10 staff or family, X10 chinese manufacturer, X10 sellers, X10 discovers or X10 blablabla and I don't have any X10 stock options (Do they ?). I'm a real customer with some [lucky] experience  8)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:30:57 PM by Gilbert »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Yes it works...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 10:04:15 AM »

While it can be frustratingly challenging at times, the folks here have come up workarounds for almost every problem that has come arisen. Yes you may need to buy more than some modules along with the $49.99 basic package. Unless you're extremely lucky, most homes will benefit / need a coupler, a couple filters or so and maybe even signal booster.

Still for the price, you can't beat what X10 can do!

So to echo Gilbert's post, stick with it and ask questions here. Many of the unpaid folks here have been working with X10 products for years. The folks here have discovered things that X10 marking weren't even aware. We've seen just about everything is and welcome new challenges and variations of old problems.

Search the forum and the odds are you'll find a solution to you're problem. If not, post you're problem; someone will respond.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 06:00:48 PM »

Gilbert Thanks for the great positive feedback on your system. Looking forward to reading more of your posts and the things your doing with X10. My home automation system is also working with zero problems and I enjoy reading what other people are doing with it and from there I can come up with new ideas to add to my own system.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

reallymad

• Helpful Post Rating: -2
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 06:42:42 PM »

Hey Gilbert...its great that it work for you..after probably 1000 hrs ..but when a got mine I have no intention to be a  PC technician..this product is advertised to work.."no Brainer"...I wanted to work without me been searching for fixing in the forum..
there is not step by step setup or installation like other electronic products...when you buy this garbage you on you on ..customer support ...please...be real!!!..yes maybe I will make my to work after 2000 hrs...that was not my Idea..X10 is using you and all your kind to fix their bugs...I not into that...is not as simple plug and play system ..and it does not work as advertised... >:(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 07:00:01 PM »

reallymad; Plug in and it works is not a reality anymore.
Not just with X10 devices but others also. I have problems with Insteon also. Modern electronics can disturb all types of powerline signaling. Maybe your best bet is to return the items as it seem you do not have the time to troubleshoot the problems. You would most likely also have problems if you had chosen Insteon or maybe even UPB.

reallymad

• Helpful Post Rating: -2
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 07:23:17 PM »

Just a note:   When I got my system from X10..I did call to find out
                    what was the system spec for computer system..because
                    as you know you can't find this info on their web page at
                    list I didn't..the answer from costumer support was.."yes it will
                    work on most every computer system and laptops". is this software
                    easy to install." I asked...sure just install and plug your cameras into
                    a receiver  go online download the software and you done". They
                    never ever told me I got to engage on any forum to maybe get this to work
                   The advertised is wrong and the customer service and tech- are incompetent

I have spend two weeks with tech-support. I have research the forum for trouble
                    fixing...there is not step by step setup or installation..this product is garbage..
                     I don't have  time for this moron..bye

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 07:36:52 PM »

reallymad Sorry you couldn't get your system working and have sent it back to X10. Perhaps you will look into some other systems and give them a try. If you do and get one that works like you expect you can come back here and post what you got and how setup was.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.