Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Splitting a wired signal.....question.....  (Read 16384 times)

zimzam

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Splitting a wired signal.....question.....
« on: October 09, 2007, 11:13:56 PM »

I currently have 2 wired cameras (anaconda & nightwatch) going to a PCI card in my computer.  The card has 4 channels (BNC connections)  My questions is this.... Can I install a BNC tee at the PCI Card so I can run the signals to a quad and then to a modulator for whole house TV viewing?  So the signals would come from the camera, to the tee (at the pci card) and then to a quad.  Will the signal be able to carry without any major distortion or signal loss?  Is this possible?
I'm not here to set the world on fire, just watch it burn.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Splitting a wired signal.....question.....
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 12:12:38 AM »

I currently have 2 wired cameras (anaconda & nightwatch) going to a PCI card in my computer.  The card has 4 channels (BNC connections)  My questions is this.... Can I install a BNC tee at the PCI Card so I can run the signals to a quad and then to a modulator for whole house TV viewing?  So the signals would come from the camera, to the tee (at the pci card) and then to a quad.  Will the signal be able to carry without any major distortion or signal loss?  Is this possible?

I would expect some loss, but how bad depends greatly on the lengths of wire runs and how much the PCI card and quad load the camera's output.  Since splitters (tee's) aren't that expensive, I would say; "Go for it and see how it works with your particular installation!"
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Aquadeveloper

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 10:22:40 PM »

They also make splitters with a different line loss.   Cost more by, hey you pay for what you get.

:)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 10:46:48 PM »

.................. So the signals would come from the camera, to the tee (at the pci card) and then to a quad.  Will the signal be able to carry without any major distortion or signal loss?  Is this possible?

I don't understand the PCI card... then a quad. Can't you just use a software quad?

But at any rate.... I run one X10 color camera on a 60 foot extention (I made from CAT5) - then I modulate it - and split that (coax cable) signal - then I run it through a VCR - and into a video-sender unit (X10) - which I receive on a receiver unit - and run into another modulator... where it displays on a TV. The picture is excellent.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 10:50:20 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.