Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie Question  (Read 3308 times)

SS

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Newbie Question
« on: October 17, 2007, 12:31:53 AM »

I need to set up a simple motion activated automation. I have one single wall switch that controls 4 outdoor entry lights. Two are on the side of the garage door(one on each side of a single double car garage door)  and 2 are recessed ceiling lights on my front porch.

I need the  lights to come on as soon as someone approaches the garage door or the front porch.

I don't necessarily need any diming action. Can I use multiple motion sensors and a wall switch to accomplish this?

Please advice. I am a newbie

Thanks

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 01:17:45 AM »

...Can I use multiple motion sensors and a wall switch to accomplish this?...
Possibly!
The first step is to add up the wattage of all the lights that the current switch is controlling now.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 01:43:43 AM »

I need the  lights to come on as soon as someone approaches the garage door or the front porch.
............. Can I use multiple motion sensors and a wall switch to accomplish this?

You sure can! You may need to move your transceiver around to be sure to pick-up BOTH motion sensors. You could also have false trigger problems if you have a lot of traffic at the front of your home.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

SS

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 02:00:46 AM »

...Can I use multiple motion sensors and a wall switch to accomplish this?...
Possibly!
The first step is to add up the wattage of all the lights that the current switch is controlling now.

The total wattage is 400W (100 watts x 4 bulbs = 400 watts). They are all controlled by one switch
which is inside the house, near the entry door.

SS

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 02:06:14 AM »

............. Can I use multiple motion sensors and a wall switch to accomplish this?

You sure can! You may need to move your transceiver around to be sure to pick-up BOTH motion sensors. You could also have false trigger problems if you have a lot of traffic at the front of your home.

Do I need a transceiver or just motion detectors and a wall switch? I do not have a lot of traffic at the front of the house. Its at one end of a cul de sac. I  simply dont want to keep my front lights on when not needed. Thanks.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 09:22:26 AM »

Do I need a transceiver or just motion detectors and a wall switch?

You will need all three types of devices:

1) An X10 Switch
2) Motion Sensor(s)
3) A Transceiver

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.