Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wired camera extension / suggestion  (Read 17683 times)

jabber71

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wired camera extension / suggestion
« on: October 20, 2007, 11:25:54 AM »

I am running 2 wired camera on my PC, they are hooked to a rca splitter which is connected to a usb video adapter. I want to add a 3rd camera 150 ft away. I had a 6 pair flat cable made and installed to where I want the camera, I hooked the power supply for the 3rd camera to the usb, then a extension to a modular jack, which is connected to the extension. On the other end of the extension
I have another modular jack. I hooked the camera to that recpticle.
What am I doing wrong, I get no signal from the camera. I tested the extension line and get signal.

Is the power supply to far away from the camera (150ft away) could someone email me a simple diagram or post it on here?

joel@taylorrental.net

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: Wired camera extension / suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 05:24:48 PM »

Hi jabber71 and welcome to the boards. What cameras are you using? Check out this thread on running extention cords. It has a print on how the plugs need to be wired.

Also as far as how long you can run wired cams, I have tested runs up to 310 feet and had no problems.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 05:52:23 PM »

Check out this thread on running extention cords. It has a print on how the plugs need to be wired.

That drawing you made was VERY HELPFUL to me when a chipmunk chewed my extention and I had to rewire. Thanks again!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

cwmartin59

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 03:55:08 PM »

I bought a 4-Camera Wireless system (XX20A XCam 2 Cameras) a couple of weeks ago.  I have it hooked up and running around the house.  I haven't installed the cameras permanently (plan is for outside).  I am trying to work out my noise/interference issue.  3 of the 4 Cameras are connected.  The images that are received show lines scrolling through the image.  I am assuming I am receiving some kind of interference.  I thought maybe my wireless router (Type N) but I have ruled that out.  My house phone is wireless but not in the 2.4GHz range.  I have one of the cameras within 3 feet of the receiver and I still get noise on the video.  I am not sure that the wireless cameras are going to work for me.  I may need to buy the wired cameras instead.  Any advice would be helpful.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 06:43:50 PM »

... I have one of the cameras within 3 feet of the receiver and I still get noise on the video. 

I have read that before... I don't doubt your word. Although I've had great results here with the wireless cameras.. I've read that other aren't as lucky. I ssume you tried the different channels [a-d] on the cameras and made sure the receiver and cameras are set to the same letter. I have read of a bad video cable... if you have another you might try that.

Are you using an RCA video jack/cord to feed the input to a TV, or PC, or are you using the TV channel 3-4 "F-connector" out?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.