Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: scanning cameras on start up  (Read 29080 times)

jabber71

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
scanning cameras on start up
« on: October 20, 2007, 12:36:12 PM »

How can I set the cameras to start scanning and tak snapshots when activehome starts?
[Tuicemen edited  Subject title to fix spelling]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 03:07:34 PM by Tuicemen »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: scanning cameras on start uop
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:55:22 PM »

How can I set the cameras to start scanning and tak snapshots when activehome starts?

Activehome.... not Active Home Pro? Would this be a manual start-up of the software?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: scanning cameras on start up
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 03:05:26 PM »

Activehome.... not Active Home Pro? Would this be a manual start-up of the software?
Dave:
Since the OP posted in the Active HomePro section it would be safe to assume they were talking about AHP .
Active Home couldn't control cams to take snap shots!
jabber71:
Sorry I missed this post before! :-[
I just got back from a vacation!
  • In AHP click on "Tools"
  • Then "Preferences"
  • Then "Still Capture"
  • Click on "Sart Autostill Capture on Application Sart"
  • Now for each cam create a macro with that cams address as the trigger in the macro add the start cam scan from the video options!
[/color][/b]
If You have the Smartmacro plug-in you can add conditions and elses!
There maybe another way to do this but this is the first that comes to mind! ;)
Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 03:07:52 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HighlanderHawk

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 12:15:20 AM »

How do you "...in the macro add the start cam scan from the video options?" Does it require anything other than the standard macro designer?  I can't get this "start cam scan" to be added to the macro.  Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 12:19:59 AM by rrhawkinson »

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 07:13:18 AM »

You need to have AHP, the SmartMacros plug-in and the iWitness or now called iWatch plug-in.

While in the macro design screen on the far right is a drop down list. This list shows your rooms, advanced options some other stuff and then "Video Functions". When you select Video Functions, right below that will be a list of options you can click on and drag into your macro. Scan Cameras is one of the options you can drag and drop.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

rollson8

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 12:59:05 PM »

Found this article, had such high hopes, did exactly as stated , still no scanning at startup :(

rollson8

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »

First off, let me thank you for the help.  I think you are assuming that AHP sends an "On" signal to one of the cameras in the scan list when AHP starts.  I have AHP v3.228 and according to the Activity Monitor, there are no command sent a start even with "Start Auto Still Capture.." checked in preferences.  I even checked out the P16 topic, I guess they fixed it in my version.  I am a perl programmer, I wish there was an X10 module for PERL!  If you have any other suggestions, I would be very interested.

Thanks again!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 04:14:12 PM »

First off, let me thank you for the help. I think you are assuming that AHP sends an "On" signal to one of the cameras in the scan list when AHP starts. I have AHP v3.228 and according to the Activity Monitor, there are no command sent a start even with "Start Auto Still Capture.." checked in preferences. I even checked out the P16 topic, I guess they fixed it in my version. I am a perl programmer, I wish there was an X10 module for PERL! If you have any other suggestions, I would be very interested.

Thanks again!

I see says the blind man.  ;)

So even with Auto Still Capture selected, AHP doesn't "turn on" any cameras!  Woops!   ::)

AHP really needs a special set of macros, one that automatically runs at AHP startup and one that automatically runs at AHP shutdown.

Meanwhile, if you get the AHP SDK and your PERL supports accessing ActiveX or COM objects, you could write your own script to send an appropriate command.

You can also write scripts in VBscript or Jscript (they are not that hard to learn).

P.S.
Is there a PERL script made for Windows like VBscript or Jscript?  If so, where and how much?
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

rollson8

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 05:29:59 PM »

Bill,

Thanks for the reply!  I second you on the AHP startup and shutdown triggers; that would solve a lot of issues I am having.

I am not familiar with VBScript, and I am just starting JScript.  If you are referring to the GUI interface used in JScript to create code, then I do not know of anything like that for PERL.

I use ActivePERL 5.8, notepad and the command line interface in windows when I make my PERL scripts.  It is the old UNIX admin in me!

I just completed a little script that takes my last five snapshots from iWitness, renames them, then uses WinSCP to upload them to my website.  I didn't like using the AHP ftp function because my password was broadcast in plaintext across the internet.  Also, when using the AHP ftp function, due to the unique filenames, your files will continually grow on your website until it is full.

I expanded on this a little in the following post: http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.msg88316#msg88316

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 09:29:18 PM »

rollson8
If you are referring to the GUI interface used in JScript to create code, then I do not know of anything like that for PERL.

I use ActivePERL 5.8, notepad and the command line interface in windows when I make my PERL scripts.  It is the old UNIX admin in me!

Actually, you can write VBScript and JScript in notepad and execute them at the Windows command line much like a batch file.

Sounds like ActivePERL 5.8 is more or less what I was asking about if that's the way it works.

Thanks!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.