Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Camera remote question  (Read 10940 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Camera remote question
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:11:31 AM »

Hi,
I have the CR12A and have encountered a problem in that it turns on the REC function of my VCR when I scan thru my cameras. I thought the ScanCam Remote was only supposed to flip thru camera pictures, not turn on the VCR.

Is there a camera remote that does NOT do that?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Camera remote question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 10:19:40 AM »

If you are referring to a VCR Command (II) then it sounds like it is programmed to trigger on one or more of your X10 camera addresses.

birdzeye

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:35:24 AM »

Puck,

yes, VCR commander II with 1 motion sensor programmed for 1 of the cameras (total 3 cameras in system).

The camera remote is only supposed to flip thru pictures of each camera on the TV or computer. It is not supposed to trigger the VCR to record!!!

So my question is, is there a camera remote that will simply flip thru the camera pictures but not set off the motion sensor? There is no motion happening outside where the motion sensor is so it should not be turning on!

At least x10 should warn about this flaw in their system before people purchase and find out the hard way.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 11:14:11 AM »

The remote sends the same RF X10 Address as the motion sensor does. When you turn on that camera that has a motion sensor with the same X10 address (which is also the address programmed into the VCR Commander II), the VCR Commander II does not know the difference and just starts the recording.

The only way I know of getting around this is with software control like ActiveHome Pro. To put the motion sensor & VCR Commander onto a different X10 address than the camera(s).

If someone else knows of another way, I'm sure they will jump in.

birdzeye

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 06:25:46 PM »

Puck,

Given that this is how poorly the x10 hardware performs, then I'm certainly  NOT going to purchase any software. And I don't even want to imagine what the "tech support" would be like for any software problems, knowing what it's like for the hardware......

BTW another issue has arisen where the screen changes to a blue screen after it's been on one camera for awhile. Why does this happen? I have a 3 camera system and would like for the screen to show the camera I have left it on, unless the motion sensors from the other cameras activate them. It seems to be switching to camera 4 which does not exist, and the screen is just blue. Any ideas anyone?

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 08:08:10 PM »

BTW another issue has arisen where the screen changes to a blue screen after it's been on one camera for awhile. Why does this happen? I have a 3 camera system and would like for the screen to show the camera I have left it on, unless the motion sensors from the other cameras activate them. It seems to be switching to camera 4 which does not exist, and the screen is just blue. Any ideas anyone?

How many motion sensors are there, what type and what are their X10 addresses and the X10 addresses of your 3 cameras?

It sounds like a motion sensor is causing the cameras to turn off. As for the switching to the non-existing camera 4, it could be camera 3's motion sensor's dusk/dawn signal.

birdzeye

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 08:48:11 PM »

How many motion sensors are there, what type and what are their X10 addresses and the X10 addresses of your 3 cameras?

It sounds like a motion sensor is causing the cameras to turn off. As for the switching to the non-existing camera 4, it could be camera 3's motion sensor's dusk/dawn signal.

3 motion sensors: cam1 + active eye, cam2+ eagle eye, cam3 + eagle eye

It says in the Eagle Eye information that it's default setting is to stay on all the time. I'm not sure what you mean by x10 addresses ??? All are on House Code 1, then cam1=unit1, cam2=unit2, cam3=unit3

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 08:59:21 PM »

Eagle Eye motion sensors send out a Unit Code + 1 ON at Dusk and OFF at Dawn.

These signals, as it gets dark or light, could be the cause of the cameras switching or turning off unexpectedly.

P.S. Active Eyes have it too but it is turned off by default. Eagle Eyes (as far as I'm aware) cannot turn it off.

birdzeye

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 09:24:46 PM »

Eagle Eye motion sensors send out a Unit Code + 1 ON at Dusk and OFF at Dawn.

These signals, as it gets dark or light, could be the cause of the cameras switching or turning off unexpectedly.

P.S. Active Eyes have it too but it is turned off by default. Eagle Eyes (as far as I'm aware) cannot turn it off.

In the Eagle Eye info there's a section "To set whether you want the motion sensor to transmit EVERY time it sees motion or only at night" and I have it set to ONE BLINK which means detect motion at all times. So does that solve the problem or does it still go on at dusk and off at dawn...i don't get it.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 09:31:06 PM »

In the Eagle Eye info there's a section "To set whether you want the motion sensor to transmit EVERY time it sees motion or only at night" and I have it set to ONE BLINK which means detect motion at all times. So does that solve the problem or does it still go on at dusk and off at dawn...i don't get it.

The Dusk Dawn is in addition to that. Say your camera 3 & eagle eye are set to address A3; at dusk an A4 ON will be send by the eagle eye. This A4 ON will turn off any camera that may be on from address A1, A2 & A3.

birdzeye

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 11:40:47 PM »

The Dusk Dawn is in addition to that. Say your camera 3 & eagle eye are set to address A3; at dusk an A4 ON will be send by the eagle eye. This A4 ON will turn off any camera that may be on from address A1, A2 & A3.

OK so if I have cam1 set to A4, cam2=A2, cam3=A3 then what will happen?

birdzeye

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 08:07:14 AM »

Puck where are you? Please respond to last post. What happens if no cam on A1, just A2 A3 & A4?

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 09:14:45 AM »

The eagle eye on A4 will trigger A5 at dusk & dawn; no problem because any cameras on A1-4 should ignore it.

The eagle eye on A3 will trigger A4 camera at dusk, and then turn all cameras off at dawn.

This would probably be better; it will still switch on you, but at least it will activate an existing camera. So you might want to make sure the camera on A4 is the one you want to default to at night

Just keep the A2 active eye dusk/dawn signal in the off state (as long as you did not turn it on, that's how it defaults).

birdzeye

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 11:44:42 PM »

The eagle eye on A4 will trigger A5 at dusk & dawn; no problem because any cameras on A1-4 should ignore it.

The eagle eye on A3 will trigger A4 camera at dusk, and then turn all cameras off at dawn.

This would probably be better; it will still switch on you, but at least it will activate an existing camera. So you might want to make sure the camera on A4 is the one you want to default to at night

Just keep the A2 active eye dusk/dawn signal in the off state (as long as you did not turn it on, that's how it defaults).

The way I have it set up is eagle eye on A2 and A3, and active eye on A4. How will that work?

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 12:10:56 AM »

The way I have it set up is eagle eye on A2 and A3, and active eye on A4. How will that work?

At dusk, eagle eye A2 will send A3 ON & eagle eye A3 will send A4 ON; don't know which one will see dusk first, but camera 3 or camera 4 will come on then a short while later, the other will.

If you go this way:
A2 active eye, A3 eagle eye, A4 eagle eye: At dusk, eagle eye A3 will send A4 ON and turn camera A4 on. Eagle eye A4 will not affect anything because there are no cameras on A5.

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.