Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My new AHP won't work, so back to IBM's Home Director for now  (Read 53939 times)

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
My new AHP won't work, so back to IBM's Home Director for now
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:13:26 PM »

I know this has been talked about before, but I did some searches and had no luck.
I got my AHP software yesterday and it installed without any problems.(XP home).  I got the CM15a today and it installed without a problem. After  installing a couple  modules, I had no luck getting any response, so I deleted, then reinstalled the modules, Several times.  It seems pretty straight-forward, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Doesn't it download the module information I created, to the CM15a at some point? If so how do I do that? How does it retain the information so I can use my remote with the PC off? I don't see anywhere where it downloads that info. But I can't get it to function from my PC, so first things first.
Anyways until I can figure out what I'm doing wrong, I still had my old IBM Home Director hardware, and software I got in 1997.
Now 3 computers later, I decided to see how that would work. So I installed it without a problem. I still was using the receiver unit with 2- X10 switches, and 3 lamp modules with my remote. That has worked all along, even though I haven't had the software on a PC for at least 8 years.
Well, I can control 3 things from my PC and remote(using Home Director). The others only work with the remote.  So, I must be missing something.
A difference I noticed was my Home Director receiver has a nice metal antenna that extends up about a foot. I still think I should get some kind of response with the one I got today though.
This is my first post here. I'll keep reading, maybe something will stand out that I missed.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: My new AHP won't work, so back to IBM's Home Director for now
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:41:39 AM »

To download to the CM15A in AHP, go to Tools, Download Timers and Macros.  You will get a conformation box, and a progress bar will appear on the left side of the screen.

This downloads our modules, timers and any macros to the CM15A.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dahur

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 12:09:28 PM »

Thanks for the info. I had seen this in my travels, but I think I was confused because it didn't say "modules". I thought it was just for timers and macros. But I now have two modules that work out of 6 installed, so that's a start. I'm continuing to work with it.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »

Well, if you don't have any timers nor any macros, you don't have to download "modules".

However, you do have to download the hardware configuration.  That either happens automatically when you download timers and macros, or you can do it as a separate step.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:56:02 PM »

Also, what do you have as an IBM Home Director? 

The original ones were simply re-labeled X10 CM11a's.   If you have a metal antenna on yours, I would say it isn't a CM11a.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 01:01:02 PM by Walt2 »
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

dahur

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 01:43:22 PM »

It looks just like the one in the picture you posted. On the back it says HD501 02K1040

I can't remember what I did back in '97 to get all my modules to work from my PC. Right now only 2 work. And it's the same 2 with ActiveHome.  Funny I can remotely control 5 things from the Home Director receiver though. And it's anywhere in the house. I have to  be closer to the Cm115a to get a response.

dahur

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 02:10:26 PM »

Here's a picture of it, slightly bent antenna and all.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 02:24:41 PM »

That's just a plain old transceiver, with the IBM logo on it.

The Home Director controller itself is an HD11A.  In the pic I posted, it is in the center one of the three white things.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 02:26:39 PM by Walt2 »

dahur

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 05:28:39 PM »

Yes I have that too, mine has a serial port connection.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 08:18:50 PM »

Yes I have that too, mine has a serial port connection.

Does it have a battery compartment?  If not, it may be the older IBM HD16.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

dahur

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 09:35:04 PM »

Yes it does, 2 AAA's.

dahur

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 02:13:58 AM »

As an afterthought, I have put cfl's in most of my home. Even if these are not on, do you know if they are signal suckers?
I don't have any x10 switches connected to them though.
This is the only thing I can think of that has changed since '97 when all 16 modues/switches worked.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 06:49:19 AM »

I have not seen any CFL be a signal sucker, but can be a noise generator if on. The CFLs are NOT on dimmers are they? If so many X10 switches use a small current through the load [bulb] for power. Most will not act correctly on a CFL.

dahur

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 12:24:22 PM »

Hey, that would explain why I couldn't get cfl's to work on my x10 switches before.  I remember they would flicker faintly when turned  off. I think I saw x10 switches for cfl's.  Do they work okay?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 12:38:02 PM »

Hey, that would explain why I couldn't get cfl's to work on my x10 switches before.  I remember they would flicker faintly when turned  off. I think I saw x10 switches for cfl's.  Do they work okay?

NON-Dimming switches with a neutral wire connection work with CFL lights.

Some CFL lights have been reported to create enough electrical noise to disrupt the X10 signals for turning the switch ON & OFF. When this occurs, you can try another brand of CFL (or even a different one) or use an in-line filter in series on the switch's load wire (between the switch & the CFL).
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.