Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TM751  (Read 31349 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: TM751
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 08:05:09 PM »

It's OK I got it working! Thanks anyway!
Just one more question. If I got a socket rocket for a porch light, what are the options for TIMING the porch light to come on at specified times?

The use of Home Automation is limited....... only by our imaginations. Many ways to do that.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 09:09:44 PM »

It's OK I got it working! Thanks anyway!
Just one more question. If I got a socket rocket for a porch light, what are the options for TIMING the porch light to come on at specified times?

The use of Home Automation is limited....... only by our imaginations. Many ways to do that.

What's the simplest, cheapest way to time a porch light to go on at a certain time?

HA Dave

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 09:25:12 PM »

What's the simplest, cheapest way to time a porch light to go on at a certain time?

The mini-timer

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 09:31:48 PM »

If you want to use X10 look at the "Mini Timer" on X10.com. If it doesn't need to be X10, get a timer wall switch from Home Depot.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 09:36:36 PM »

If you want to use X10 look at the "Mini Timer" on X10.com. If it doesn't need to be X10, get a timer wall switch from Home Depot.

You know we're BOTH right. And we also know birdzeye would be better off in the long run... getting the AHP.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 09:40:31 PM »

You know we're BOTH right. And we also know birdzeye would be better off in the long run... getting the AHP.
Sorry Dave, I didn't see you had suggested the mini timer first.
Yes AHP would be the way to go, but Birdseye asked about the cheapest way, so I thought "inside the box".
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 09:45:01 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

birdzeye

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 10:05:57 PM »

Sorry Dave, I didn't see you had suggested the mini timer first.
Yes AHP would be the way to go, but Birdseye asked about the cheapest way, so I thought "inside the box".

I'm afraid of trying the software, either AHP or Vanguard, because of things I've read in this forum. Is there a TRIAL version of either? Also, I'm confused as to which one is better.

HA Dave

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 10:21:50 PM »

AHP...... it's a good thing!

birdzeye

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 07:35:58 AM »

AHP...... it's a good thing!

Is there a trial version? What's the diff b/w Vanguard?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 11:28:18 AM »

...I'm afraid of trying the software... ...AHP...
Unfortunately any "challenges" people have with AHP are going to be yelled while the praises may needed to be hunted out. That doesn't mean that AHP and X10 are "bad". The fact of the matter is that X10 and AHP hands down provide the best home automation option for the money. It would be hard to find anything as useful for twice the price.

I've been using X10 products for around 30 years and AHP since it came out. In additions to tons of problems that have already been solved here, you're in the right spot for help if you have any questions. Think of this forum as a place to search for FAQ.

A timer can turn to light on and off.
AHP can turn the light on 30 minutes after dusk, dim it to 60% and randomize on and off times. Add a sensor and AHP can turn on the light when someone comes to the door.
e.g. 364 days of the the year my front light dims to 50% a little after dusk. When someone comes to the door the light brightens to full brightness for 5 minutes and I'm notified inside that I have a visitor. On that magical night of the year, Halloween, the same sensor triggers my award winning Halloween display.

That said, the suggested minitimer and an X10 wall switch could be a great starter option. You could still use the minintimer if you updated to AHP later.
e.g. I had a job that required me to wake at different times in the morning. I used AHP to set up a wake up macro. I then set the time I wanted to wake up on a bedside minitimer. It avoided having to change times in the computer every day.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:13:41 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 11:49:10 AM »

Tell your kids that you better not ever catch them turning the porch light 'on'.  :D
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

HA Dave

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 04:36:58 PM »

Is there a trial version? What's the diff b/w Vanguard?

NO. However you can get the AHP WITH plugins for $50. A bargain.

Boiler

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 05:45:13 PM »

While I love home automation and use AHP, I recognize that it's not the proper solution in all cases.  I have a number of wired in occupancy sensors in high traffic areas (hallways and such).

If Dusk Dawn operation is all you desire, a screw in photocell fits the billing of "simple and cheap"

This device is available at Amazon - American Tack SLC4CG Automatic Lamp Sensor Light Control

I'm not promoting this particular device, just showing what is available.  Your local Home Depot, Lowes, etc, should handle similar devices. 

If you do not like the "looks" of the adapter, you could also consider replacing the fixture with a unit with a photocell.  These are pretty reasonable as well.

My $0.02
Boiler

birdzeye

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 03:41:10 PM »

Hey thanks to everyone for your inputs on this thread.

Just one more question, though, is VAnguard software better for cameras than AHP, or do they do the same thing? I'm not sure which one to get, if I do.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 07:37:05 PM »

Hey thanks to everyone for your inputs on this thread.

Just one more question, though, is VAnguard software better for cameras than AHP, or do they do the same thing? I'm not sure which one to get, if I do.
It depends on what you want to do with the software!  AHP with all plug-ins will give you all the expandability you'll want.
If you just want to view cams over the internet and cantrol them a Firecracker PC interface and the free software xray vision may be all you'll need! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.