Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FilterLinc, Ampere Capacity  (Read 5193 times)

Ringmaster

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
FilterLinc, Ampere Capacity
« on: November 09, 2007, 12:21:22 PM »

I purchased several of the FilterLinc, No. 1626 (5-Amp), and hooked them up to my audio systems.  When I turned the amplifiers on, there was a "click", and the audio system turned off immediately.  I suspect the systems draw more than 5 Amps; did I destroy the FilterLincs?

My largest system amplifier draws 1100 Volt-Amps, and I don't know how to calculate the Amp rating, so I would know which FilterLinc to purchase.

Does anyone have any expertise in this area?  I don't mind purchasing the 15-Amp module, but it causes my system to protrude further from the wall.  The 10-Amp module would not take up too much space, but I'm not sure it will handle the capacity.

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
Re: FilterLinc, Ampere Capacity
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 02:16:53 PM »

You may have blown the internal fuse of the FilterLinc.  Do both (filtered and unfiltered)outlets work at all?, If the filtered does not, then I can tell you where to order a new ceramic fuse for replacement.  But if it's still under warrantee, you could give the company a call for a new filterlinc.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 04:29:51 PM »

No most likely blew the internal fuse. 1100VA is closer to 10 amps roughly. I have the 10 amp version of that filter on my APC BX1000 1000VA UPS.
For real heavy loads ACT makes a 15 Amp one model:AF120 and it has a user replaceable fuse in a case mounted fuse holder.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:34:34 PM »

My largest system amplifier draws 1100 Volt-Amps, and I don't know how to calculate the Amp rating, so I would know which FilterLinc to purchase.

Watts and volt-amps aren't quite the same, but a rule of thumb for either is to take the VA or watt number and divide it by the line voltage to get current.  In your case, 1100VA / 120VAC gives about 9.2A.

You said this was your "largest system amplifier".  If there are other devices powered through that same filter, then those loads must be added to get the total.

Something else to consider is that many amplifiers have capacitor input filters.  The 500W Quad power amp I built back in the 70's will dim the lights when it charges up its caps.  That surge can pop a fast-blow fuse even though it is rated to carry the maximum "operating" current.  The 15A AF120 would be a good choice because of its easily replaceable fuse.

Another option might be to install one of the big 20A XPF filters on that circut at the distribution panel.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Ringmaster

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 06:33:21 PM »

Jeff Volpe:  Thanks for your advice; this is the information I was looking for.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.