Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LM14A and AHP Strange Problem  (Read 3346 times)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
LM14A and AHP Strange Problem
« on: October 30, 2007, 08:20:40 PM »

Thought I would post this little problem. I have a LM14A set to A2.  In AHP I have a macro that turns on A2 and sets the Dim at Absolute 20%. when the macro fires, the lamp switch graphic does nothing. Hit the Poll button does nothing. Nothing you do changes the graphic status of the switch. The actual light works OK. Not sure when AHP stopped reporting the status but it did work about a month or so back.

I switched the LM14A with another module and the same thing, and no polling. What I ended up doing is deleting the module in AHP and dragging a new one into the room. Set it to A2 redid the macros and tested it again. All works as it did a few months back. Polling works OK as does the status of the graphic when you turn it on or off. Strange that the graphic in AHP broke... I mean how does a graphic go bad  ???  :D

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: LM14A and AHP Strange Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 09:18:17 PM »

Thought I would post this little problem. I have a LM14A set to A2.  In AHP I have a macro that turns on A2 and sets the Dim at Absolute 20%. when the macro fires, the lamp switch graphic does nothing. Hit the Poll button does nothing. Nothing you do changes the graphic status of the switch. The actual light works OK. Not sure when AHP stopped reporting the status but it did work about a month or so back.

I switched the LM14A with another module and the same thing, and no polling. What I ended up doing is deleting the module in AHP and dragging a new one into the room. Set it to A2 redid the macros and tested it again. All works as it did a few months back. Polling works OK as does the status of the graphic when you turn it on or off. Strange that the graphic in AHP broke... I mean how does a graphic go bad  ???  :D

----------------KDR

Very strange!   :o

.ahx file corruption maybe?   ???
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 09:24:59 PM »

How much editing of your program have you been doing?   I've had numerous problems with AHP in the past after I've made a bunch of changes.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 10:53:30 PM »

Charles is probably right on with regards to lots of changes.

I do a fair amount of changes for tests, and there was one bizarre anomaly I experienced:

I had a macro that did a few things, and in the middle of it it was to turn ON a light. Everytime I ran it, everything worked as expected but that light would not turn ON (and it was controllable through the AHP graphic switch); I double & triple checked my macro and the command shown was correct to turn that light ON.

I cleared the interface, reloaded, same thing. I looked at the Activity Monitor while it was running, and I was surprised to see it was sending out an OFF command when the shown command was to send an ON.

I had to delete that command, save the file, re-inset that command again, save the file, clear interface & download.

Without the activity monitor, I would have never known that the graphic was showing a false command state. So if things don't work as expected, don't believe everything you see... check the activity monitor.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 05:54:44 AM »

How much editing of your program have you been doing?   I've had numerous problems with AHP in the past after I've made a bunch of changes.

That was probably it then. I had made several changes to a few macros and some timers. By the way none of the changes were in the room with the graphic that was not working. After the changes everything was tested and working and I just happened to look in the room with the bathroom light and noticed the graphic showed off when I knew the light was on. That's when I clicked the poll button and found it not responding.

By the way the switch graphics have always had a problem with the switch showing off when the light is on but the slider showing dim level has always work. This is some type of bug in AHP. When I went to bed last night the switch showed on and the slider was at 20%. When I got up the switch showed off and the slider still showed 20% and the light was on. Other lights turned on and those all show the switch off but the sliders all show the correct status. I found that if you click in the middle of the slider knob the switch portion of the graphic will change to the correct status without changing the actual light value you have set.

----------------KDR
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 06:08:29 AM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 09:32:28 AM »

...I mean how does a graphic go bad...
I think your house is haunted by the ghost Murphy.  ;)

On the other hand, stranger things have happened with AHP. Call be paranoid but I tend to back up my ahx file before I make even the smallest changes. Also I tend to save after almost every intermittent step. Regular saving covers me if my computer happens to go off to "la la land" and requires rebooting also.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 11:08:18 AM »

Just to mention, you don't need a status returned.

AHP will update its graphic when ever its sends out a command.  Kind of think of what is shown as being the "state requested".

If a status is returned, AHP will update/correct its graphic to match.  Kind of think of this as "state confirmed".

I know I get this mostly with dimming.  You can "request" a dim level of 21%, and the graphic will show 21%, but the status will come back as 20%, and the graphic will be updated slightly.

Personally, I run with status return disabled on my LM14a's.  Mostly because I have multiple modules set to the same house/unit code, and the overlapping status returns cause more problems than they are worth.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.