Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there a light sensor?  (Read 48882 times)

Saber Dog

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Is there a light sensor?
« on: November 04, 2007, 08:33:36 PM »

I have a question. Is there a light sensor? Something that would turn a light on during the day if it gets dark due to clouds or a storm?

I was thinking of using a screw in light sensor and set the timer to come on in the morning and the sensor keeping the light off until dusk. But that seems kind of clunky and I don't know if it is safe to mix an X-10 light module and a stand alone light sensor.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: AHP COMMENTS/IDEAS/FIXES
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 08:58:57 PM »

I have a question. Is there a light sensor? Something that would turn a light on during the day if it gets dark due to clouds or a storm?

The X10 floodlight has an adjustable light sensor, that can send a (X10) line signal when it get dark... even from clouds.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 06:53:09 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Is there a light sensor?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:22:07 PM »

You could use any of the standard X10 motion sensors. They have a Dusk / Dawn signal that transmits to the Unit Code +1. This can be used with a transceiver to turn a light on & off when dark (regardless of the time of day).

G. L.Tirebiter

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 01:35:10 PM »

Or you could try an X10 SunDowner....

These things are getting hard to find - the X10 site doesn't even list a price in the "catalog" section, but I found 'em here:

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByManufacturer/X-10-Pro/Item/SD533/

Or eBay item # 330165705953

HTH.

George

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 04:05:06 PM »

Yes the Sundowner controller.

Saber Dog

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 09:56:19 PM »

Thanks!

I read the instructions on the motion sensor and I see where I can use it to control one code, with macros I guess I could turn on several more. I checked the link and ordered a Sundowner so I can control several together, plus it makes a good bedside controler. Then I got a bit crazy and ordered the phone interface as well. Great site.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 06:50:42 AM »

The phone interface is a unit I use myself. One thing to remember. The third digit of the security code also is sent as a series of on offs as the phone rings. Like my third digit is a 4. So when the phone rings. An A4On A4Off [house code A is my setting] is sent over the powerline. I have a Chime Module on A4 in the cellar and it chimes when the phone ring. I also have a PowerFlasher on A4 with an ELK  door bell sensor that can chime if the bell is rung. Yes I know. Is it the phone or door bell?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 10:32:47 AM »

...Yes I know. Is it the phone or door bell?
Shouldn't be that much trouble telling them apart. Most folk don't push the door bell as many times per min as the phone rings per min at least not at my house anyway.  ;)
I'm thinking of setting up a listener in BVC to listen for the code of the last number on my phone interface. Then BVC could announce the call to me verbally.

link added for BVC
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:32:21 AM by Dave_x10_L »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

yosoyelale

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 06:20:05 PM »

Is there any X10 device which communicates the "quantity of light" detected?

I mean, I need to retrieve the percentage of luminosity outdoor, and get that info in the computer.

Thanks in advance.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 12:23:50 PM »

I mean, I need to retrieve the percentage of luminosity outdoor, and get that info in the computer.

Thanks in advance.

uh, No.  Also it would be very hard to transmit that linear, analog type of data using X10 protocol.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:28:00 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 01:57:28 PM »

The X10 floodlight has an adjustable light sensor, that can send a (X10) line signal when it get dark... even from clouds.

I've thought about this problem myself without coming up with an answer.  Has anyone experimented with using a translucent cover over a regular X10 light sensor so that it would react to some level of dim light instead of darkness thereby making sensitive to cloudy or storm conditions?
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 03:53:03 PM »

I've thought about this problem myself without coming up with an answer.  Has anyone experimented with using a translucent cover over a regular X10 light sensor so that it would react to some level of dim light instead of darkness thereby making sensitive to cloudy or storm conditions?

The (dual) floodlight PR511 has an "adjustment wheel". The wheel supposedly adjusts from always active to completely dark. The X10 floodlights also has 4 unit code settings for motion.. as-well-as 4 codes for day/night detection.

I also have a standard box mounted light sensor (only a few feet from an X10 floodlight) that controls my lawn-lamps/yard lights/landscape lighting (whatever they're called). The box mounted sensor is non-adjustable... but does a fine job of controlling the outside lighting. The little yard lights are always on if it is dark... and I have seen them come on during normal daylight hours... when pending storms have darkened the area. When I replace lamps/bulbs in my yard lights I hang a ball cap over the sensor box... it takes two-three minutes for the sensor to react. I have noticed when I have hung a ball cap over the X10 sensor and the reaction is much quicker.

My BVC system detects one day/night setting from the floodlight and announces both sunrise and sunset. It has been my experience..... that the floodlights determend it to be light AFTER the yard lights have already turned OFF, and dark BEFORE the yard lights turn ON. This is with the floodlight set to it's darkest setting.

I have never shaded an X10 sensor... but have recently added an extra layer of white-ish plastic to make another brand motion sensor a little more near-sighted. I would think a similar approach... along with the floodlight's "adjustment wheel".... and maybe TWO or more floodlights... could give a good indication of light levels.

But on 2nd thought.... it might be faster/easier/cheaper... at least in my case to simply connect a powerflash unit to my yard light transformer.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:29:23 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

yosoyelale

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 05:20:04 AM »

Thanks in advance.

uh, No.  Also it would be very hard to transmit that linear, analog type of data using X10 protocol.

That type of data could be trasmitted over X10 protocol using the dim command with a percentage, which could represent the percentage of intensity of light detected.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 07:02:56 AM »

I mean, I need to retrieve the percentage of luminosity outdoor, and get that info in the computer....
That type of data could be trasmitted over X10 protocol using the dim command with a percentage, which could represent the percentage of intensity of light detected.
I think what yosoyelale wants (Correct me if I'm wrong.) is a sensor that would detect and send a light level back to the computer, preferably as some sort of digital signal. I'm sure there isn't an X10 product for what he wants and also haven't seen any other product that would do it.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

yosoyelale

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 07:38:09 AM »

I think what yosoyelale wants (Correct me if I'm wrong.) is a sensor that would detect and send a light level back to the computer, preferably as some sort of digital signal. I'm sure there isn't an X10 product for what he wants and also haven't seen any other product that would do it.

You are right, it's a pity there are no X10 device with that functionality.

There are products of other technologies which implements it, like this device with zigbee and usb communication interface: http://www.sentilla.com/pdf/eol/tmote-sky-quickstart.pdf

Thanks all for your help.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.