Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Automating your car's ignition  (Read 4532 times)

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Automating your car's ignition
« on: October 25, 2007, 03:23:38 PM »

I was just reading about how it's posible to wire your ignition to trigger events using HAl. I'm wondering if this is possible to do in AHP as well. I'm also wonder if there is a cheaper transmitter and reciver or some thing that can be modded to accomplish this. You can read it here: 

http://james.lipsit.com/smart_car_sensor.htm
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:21:41 PM by Puck »
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Automating your car's ignition
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 04:20:26 PM »

Good find/post! ;)
I'm sure you could mod a door/window sensor to do this.
Then using the OnAlert Plug-in, AHP could let you know via a sound file or chime!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:21:55 PM by Puck »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 06:18:54 PM »

definitely worth exploring. I think it would be cool to have voice notify us of when I or my wife get home and "welcome" us home as well. I just noted the typo up there.. in the header  oops. I guess I'm kinda jumping ahead here as I haven't even got voice commands yet. I am waiting for Santa to bring some intercoms.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:22:05 PM by Puck »
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 06:23:06 PM »

I just noted the typo up there.. in the header  oops.

Just fixed the typo in each post. ;)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 07:55:38 PM »

I think it would be cool to have voice notify us of when I or my wife get home and "welcome" us home as well. .................I haven't even got voice commands yet. I am waiting for Santa to bring some intercoms.

Do you plan on using HAL or BVC?

I have BVC (from wgjohns.com) and use a (set of) garage door macro(s) with a magnetic switch (reed) and a powerflash module. BVC then announces when the garage door opens and closes, and reminds me when it is left open. (this can be seen in my video)

I have not yet setup a reliable driveway sensor. But a driveway sensor (maybe in combination with an occupancy sensor) should allow me to create a macro based on leaving or returning.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:03:55 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 08:27:08 AM »

I think I am going to use BVC. What I would like is for ahp to be able to distinguish when me pr my wife gets home and have personal settings for each of us. Temperature settings, music , lights and the like; all personilzed for both of us.

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 08:30:39 AM »

I guess I should use spell check more often

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 02:45:13 PM »

I guess I should use spell check more often

You can go back and modify your message after it's been posted.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 03:21:22 PM »

I think I am going to use BVC. What I would like is for ahp to be able to distinguish when me pr my wife gets home and have personal settings for each of us. Temperature settings, music , lights and the like; all personilzed for both of us.

Well determinding that someone is entering the home isn't so difficult. I guess what you will need to to figure out a way to let your HA system know which one of you it is.

One well know way is parking detectors. Say, if you always park on the left in the garage, and your spouse parks on the right (or the spouse uses the garage and you park outside). Pressure switches (you know, the hoses, just like gas stations used to use), can tell AHP who is home, and who just arrived. It's a little more complicated than it may sound.. but well known... and also totally useless if you live in a high-rise condo, or use public transportation.

Another method, is simple motion detectors, and conditional macros, based on time, and days of the week.

I have a bluetooth enabled cell phone (and so does the wife). I also have a dongle: a bluetooth device that plugs into a USB of a PC, that can tell which cell phone (therefore person) has/is within range (arrived/is home). However... I have yet to find a software product that will allow me to share that info with BVC or AHP.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 06:00:07 PM »

Thanks for the ideas! I guess that's what's so interesting about what this guy did :http://james.lipsit.com/smart_car_sensor.htm

He was able to rig a security sensor to both of his cars to trigger the events he wanted. Iguess what I am really looking for is a cheaper sensor or some existing sensor that can be modded to do the same thing.

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 11:01:34 PM »

Hmmm.. Just had a crazy thought... What if I took some security modules and mounted them to both of my cars doors? That way when we opened the door to get out it would trigger our settings.... One problem I just thought of.. what happens  when we get in the car though? I guess I need to think this through more.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.