Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

I am trying to find out what is the best antenna mod (please only vote if it actually worked for you and you are happy with it).

F - Connector Mod
- 10 (45.5%)
Solder 9"+ wire to end
- 2 (9.1%)
Wrap wire on end and extend 9"
- 7 (31.8%)
Put telescoping attena over white antenna
- 3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best CM15A Antenna Mod  (Read 21384 times)

heatvent

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Best CM15A Antenna Mod
« on: November 06, 2007, 12:48:22 AM »

PLease vote and leave comments as necessary.

I voted for wrapping wire around end of the antenna and extending.  It works OK.  Not sure if there are bigger fans of the F-connector though?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Best CM15A Antenna Mod
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 06:41:59 AM »

I did the F connector mod and it was my vote.
The down side is you void the warranty and have to have electronic and mechanical skills to properly do it.
The non invasive 9" wrapped wire could be a better choice for many.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 07:19:37 AM »

This is a tough one!

I did the Solder 9"+ wire to end  and it resolved my problem and works great. I HAD to make some sort of modification as I keep the AHP in my basement and it was unusable as a stock item. The mod is quick, easy, FREE, and it works... but it's NOT pretty.

I have often considered re-doing the AHP to an F-connector. However, since it works... that never seems to rise to the top of the to-do list.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 11:06:37 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 09:31:43 AM »

I have 2 CM15As and did the F-Connector (actually a BNC for 50-Ohm cable) mod on the first one and clipped the plastic off the top of the 2nd one's antenna and slipped a metal telescopic antenna (with electrical contact to the original antenna wire) over the plastic antenna.

Both of these mods have worked very well for me; however, since both CM15As and their PC's are on the basement level of my house, my vote goes to the external connector mod.

The attached telescopic antenna was easy and improved the reception considerably, but because of where I have it located, it does not cover all areas of my home.

The antenna for the external connector mod'ed CM15A is located in the attic, and covers 100% of my property.

Having stated my choice and reasons, I would recommend someone trying the easy external antenna attachment first before they open the CM15A and start modifying it from the inside.

cj4

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 12:35:57 AM »

If you wrap a wire around it don't it have to touch something metal??  Sorry to be a dumb a@@ here but mine is covered in rubber/plastic.  So do you take the rubber tip off or what???  Glad I found this post cause mine is brand new and not working hardly at all with my 16a motion sensors.

spam4us

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 02:13:59 AM »

V572RF32      Period

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 06:46:40 AM »

No just warp the wire around the plastic antenna a rod. No breaking or soldering needed.
Other mods do require physical changes. If the wrapped wire give you the distance you need then it is the best choice for no warranty voiding.

* Cor *

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 10:29:29 AM »

Being new with X10 and taking a chance. I did the f connector mod and worked pretty good. The PC is in the basement now and the antenna is in the attic of a two story house.on a 1 acre and a hand held remote will receive commands thought the property. I am using the homemade cross antenna be carefull to measure exactly. 1st try was with a amplified TV antenna and that added to much noise in the line.
Looking back at my newer setup the first thing I would do is map electric and get the electric X10 friendly most import. Solves a ton of problems.
Still got a Lot to learn with this hobby and Thanks to the veterans on this board my system will not end up on E-Bay.   Thanks again

tbates

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 11:59:23 PM »

I'm very interested in this.  If I could get just a little longer range with my remotes they would work in all areas of my place.

Where can you buy these mods or learn how to do them?

Regards,
Torrey

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 06:49:15 AM »

You can use the Search Function here to find some of them as I don't have exact message number at hand.
I found the F Connector Mod in the Project's Area of www.accessha.com

* Cor *

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 08:38:42 AM »

Geewiz

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 02:15:35 PM »

I did the f-connector mod a while back and hooked it up to an amplified tv antenna.  That hookup did seem to give me greater range, but I also experience a lot of noise...lights coming on, etc.  The other day I took a 12" length of coax, stripped the outer insulation completely off leaving only the inner core wire and insulation.  I then stripped off about 1/2" of that insulation from either end and slipped one end into the f-connector and tapped the length of wire vertically up the wall.

I now seem to be getting the same range, but none of the noise.  I really don't understand the technicalities of RF, but does  this make sense to those who do understand the technology?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »

I really don't understand the technicalities of RF, but does  this make sense to those who do understand the technology?

Absolutely. The amplified TV antenna was most likely flooding the CM15A's receiver with lots of useless signals that sometimes got interpreted as a false X10 signal.

zach1234

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 08:07:53 PM »

So anyone here think x10 should make the AHP with is PRO be PRO grade. Ma-by put a REAL antenna on it and throw us (the old users) a 50. I think at least x10 should make the antenna removeable so us the users can make mods. That's all I have to say. I am DONE!

PS. I still use the foil.

Geewiz

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 01:32:14 PM »

I have the DS7000 Security Console and am amazed at the range it has.  Even more amazing is why the CM15A has such "challenged" range and why X10 doesn't address the problem when considering all of the user complaints!
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.