Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

I am trying to find out what is the best antenna mod (please only vote if it actually worked for you and you are happy with it).

F - Connector Mod
- 10 (45.5%)
Solder 9"+ wire to end
- 2 (9.1%)
Wrap wire on end and extend 9"
- 7 (31.8%)
Put telescoping attena over white antenna
- 3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best CM15A Antenna Mod  (Read 21391 times)

solareclipse

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Best CM15A Antenna Mod
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 10:30:07 AM »

I've taken the telescopic antenna mod and made it one step simpler - just cut the straight section off a wire coat hanger and zip tie it to the CM15A's antenna.  It works stupidly well.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
18" of a clothes hanger!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 04:27:20 PM »

For what it's worth - I clipped the bottom section from an ordinary clothes hanger (just happens to be 18"), and wire-tied it full-length to the CM15A's antenna.  It's improved, but not enough yet.  I'm going to measure the DS7000's and adjust to that length.

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

PajamaGuy

12" is even Better!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 04:45:33 PM »

I measured the DS7000 - 12" so I cut the added coat hanger wire so that my CM15A's antenna's total length is 12".

Got the range I was seeking from the keychain remotes - through walls!
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Agent99

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 05:15:06 PM »

I have performed the F connector Mod on my cm15a. Before the mod I was lucky to get 12~20ft range . I also built a 1/4 wave DIY antenna  using an so239 connector and a 9.5" whip and four radials. So far I am less then impressed. Sometimes i think I get it to work real good and then it just goes dead it seems. I have had better luck using an 18" (1/2wave) wire out the new F connector but the range is only slightly better maybe 30ft but still lots of dead spots. I am now thinking of trying the eggbeater DIY antenna posted elsewhere. I have very little faith in the Rf ability of the CM15a and will eventually probably do something different.   :-\
IF your not using BVC your missing all the fun

jsnone1

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 10:08:14 PM »

Ok I did and F-Connector mod to my CM19A, and ran coax to one of these home made antennas:

and I STILL can not get my motion sensors signal to my computer!!!!!! Please help (pulling hair out!!!!!)

PajamaGuy

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 05:47:55 AM »

For some reason, I can't see your PIX?

O.k., start with the basics.  At what range does your CM15A receive the MS10A's signal?

Is it just MS10A's?  Are there any other sensors farther out than the MS10A's?

PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

jsnone1

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 06:00:08 AM »

For some reason, I can't see your PIX?

O.k., start with the basics.  At what range does your CM15A receive the MS10A's signal?

Is it just MS10A's?  Are there any other sensors farther out than the MS10A's?

Im using a CM19A, I can get the signals from the Eagle Eyes down stairs on the back side of the house(side teh pc is on upstairs) but I can not get the ones on the front of the house

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 06:51:23 AM »

Exactly what are the sensors mounted on. Metal will stop them in their tracks as their sending antenna is on the back of the case.
How far do you want them to send? They do have a limit to how far they will send.
If there is any obstructions; like walls and floors between the receiver and motion sensor that can also effect how far the send.

jsnone1

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 09:11:27 AM »

Exactly what are the sensors mounted on. Metal will stop them in their tracks as their sending antenna is on the back of the case.
How far do you want them to send? They do have a limit to how far they will send.
If there is any obstructions; like walls and floors between the receiver and motion sensor that can also effect how far the send.

Signal would need to go through a wall and a floor. Wood, drywall, and vinyl siding.

As far as distance, I would guesstimate its about 40-50 feet. Probably only about 20-30 once I had the antenna hanging in my stairway

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »

Thanks for the added data.
I am sure users with motion sensors in use can give you their typical distances.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 06:14:12 PM »

I am sure users with motion sensors in use can give you their typical distances.

Maybe I am missing something here. But I can't see how the setup could possiably work. The CM19A may allow some limited software switching on his PC.... but it won't effect the cameras. Cameras work on PLC. How is jsnone1 switching (turning OFF and ON) the cameras?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

jsnone1

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »

Maybe I am missing something here. But I can't see how the setup could possiably work. The CM19A may allow some limited software switching on his PC.... but it won't effect the cameras. Cameras work on PLC. How is jsnone1 switching (turning OFF and ON) the cameras?

the motion sensor is sending an RF signal to the computer which is interpeted by the Vanguard software, the vanguard software cuts power to the camera currently selected and then powers up the one that is assigned to the motion sensor, then video is recorded or still shots are taken

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »

..... the vanguard software cuts power to the camera currently selected and then powers up the one

How? How does the software cut power? What device or hardware are you using that causes that to happen? The CM19A only can send/receive RF... camera power supplies use PLC.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:48:36 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

jsnone1

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 10:04:41 PM »

..... the vanguard software cuts power to the camera currently selected and then powers up the one

How? How does the software cut power? What device or hardware are you using that causes that to happen? The CM19A only can send/receive RF... camera power supplies use PLC.

the CM19A sends a RF signal to a transceiver, then the transceiver sends signal to cameras through PLC....that part works fine, prob is between the Motion Sensors and the CM19A

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 10:20:55 PM »

jsnone1:
maybe you should look into the smart RF repeater.  or, for more fun, check out the following links:

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=12013.0
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=10982.0

Which come to us courtesy of Dave W.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.